Anyone else daily driving a Tesla Model 3 Performance?

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The model 3 performance is such a weapon with that instant power, good power levels and the ability to put down that power effortlessly even in the wet. Whilst I’m loving the looks of the Emira and with it being relatively exotic for a not so crazy price, but I can’t help but be concerned that the power and response of the Emira is going to be a bit underwhelming once I finally get behind the wheel of the Emira after daily driving the M3P.

Anyone else in the same or similar boat?

CHEESE

Emira Fan
Reaction score
A lot of car enthusiasts, myself included, don't put much weight behind acceleration if it's tied to an automatic transmission. A proper, manual transmission makes all the difference in the fun of driving a car. In addition, you tend to get more response from an analogue car.

Last edited:

DrD

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I had a model 3 and a 911 991.1 GTS at the same time for 2 years. Tesla was a great car, a fair bit quicker than the 430bhp 911. Didn't stop me from picking up the keys to the Porsche every chance I could.

Although I love the tech on my model 3, no doubt it makes life tangibly easier and better. Every sports/ supercar I've owned has been a different world better in enjoyment and happy times (away from commuting).

If straight line speed is all you're after, sure you'll be disappointed. By most sports cars I suspect. No point wasting your time on an emotional fun purchase, stick with the sensible.

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I went out in a colleagues Tesla 3 and was pretty impressed. Via the company, he was getting it on lease for a bargain.

I am trying to persuade the missus not to wait for an electric car as we kinda need one more.

Put it this way...

Bentley GTC - averages 11.5 mpg
C63 AMG - Averages 13.5 mpg
Ferrari F430 - Average 15 mpg (only because I take it easier)
Lotus Emira - Dunno - Average 20mpg

Not good.

OP
lynchy73

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That’s what I want to hear. Im sure I’ll love it too when I finally get my hands in it…..

Straight line speed certainly isn’t everything for sure. I totally appreciate the Tesla, the more so the longer I have it, but for a fun car, an EV just isn’t the same. For everyday and moderate distance transport, the Tesla is hard to beat, but they do lack soul/character.

Where I live (China) anything remotely sporty is crazy expensive (compared to most markets). China made Teslas are very good value here and cost nothing to run. If I was back in the UK and had the funds we now have, I’d definitely have some nice (probably 2nd hand) sports cars, but here it’s not practical.

The Emira came up and it seemed like a good way to get into something relatively exotic for a not too outrageous price (a little over 140kusd OTR for I4 Emira FE here), so I put down my deposit and am waiting.

The Emira will cost me 2.6 times what I paid for the M3P, but I still want it, for a weekend fun car and just because I want a beautiful car like that in my life
1660310942820.png

Cutting42

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a M3P on a company lease since Dec 2020. I love the performance, just took it on a road trip London to Aberdeen and back. Lots of fun and it is an overtaking weapon. However my M235i is more fun to drive and I will have the Emira at some point and I suspect will choose it every time.

OP
lynchy73

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I went out in a colleagues Tesla 3 and was pretty impressed. Via the company, he was getting it on lease for a bargain.

I am trying to persuade the missus not to wait for an electric car as we kinda need one more.

Put it this way...

Not good.
I left the UK around 15 years ago and left a Kawasaki ZX636 and a 95 Nissan Skyline GTR (lightly tuned) in the garage and still have the Skyline in storage. I was pretty obsessed with Cars, then bikes back in those days and still lust after cool cars. The Model 3 P I have now is impressive IMO based on my previous car and bike experience.

The performance versions of the Tesla 3 or Y are really fast but for a daily you don’t need it to be honest and I now default to Chill mode most of the time (after a few close calls with careless scooter riders and the like). It’s still nice to have the option though to flip it into Sport….

There is so much to like in a good EV as a means of getting places efficiently and cheaply. Pre cooling or heating from the app is also so nice. If you have the option for home charging, and you are mostly not covering huge distances (have other cars too) then I think an EV is a no brainer in this day and age. Fun motoring is another matter. I’m on here and have my deposit down on an Emira, ETA TBC ;)

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
The model 3 performance is such a weapon with that instant power, good power levels and the ability to put down that power effortlessly even in the wet. Whilst I’m loving the looks of the Emira and with it being relatively exotic for a not so crazy price, but I can’t help but be concerned that the power and response of the Emira is going to be a bit underwhelming once I finally get behind the wheel of the Emira after daily driving the M3P.

Anyone else in the same or similar boat?

All gasoline cars will have "power and response" that feels lethargic compared to a performance model Tesla. Even gasoline cars that have the acceleration to match won't feel as responsive and immediate. You really have to ask yourself what you want out of a car. Go test drive a Cayman and ask yourself if you are going to be satisfied with something like that. If not, you have your answer.

For me, I have no desire to own a Tesla or any other electric vehicle from my perspective as an automotive enthusiast. The reasons are entirely irrational - I grew up with gasoline cars. If I grew up with electric cars, I am sure I would feel differently. Our next family car will likely be fully electric - some sort of compact or mid-sized SUV. Even there, I'll likely not get a Tesla, but instead focus on models offered by brands like MB, BMW, and Audi, who can build a much better and more comfortable interior than Tesla, as well as a more appealing exterior styling.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
My colleague has a 3 and honestly the acceleration is brutal but almost gimmicky. What I didn't like was the build quality and the interior. Really disappointing.

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I also have a Model 3 Performance as a daily. Didn't drive it for roughly 2 weeks, only drove my Crafter and my MX-5 and I was shocked when I put the pedal down for the first time after two weeks. It's really super quick. However the 160 hp MX-5 is way more fun to drive 🤷🏻‍♂️ The Emira will be quite a bit slower than the Tesla for sure, but I don't think that this will be an issue.

scarzie

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I've got an i4 M50 on order to take over as my daily (currently in an X3M comp, wish an electric X3 would make it to the US) so a similar question. From my few short test drives it sure is quick but relatively emotionless as I've experienced in friends' teslas. I think I'm over my days of trying to be the fastest 0-60/straight line acceleration, I need the noise and feedback.

OP
lynchy73

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I think I fell on a hot/contentious topic here :)

I also have a Model 3 Performance as a daily. Didn't drive it for roughly 2 weeks, only drove my Crafter and my MX-5 and I was shocked when I put the pedal down for the first time after two weeks. It's really super quick. However the 160 hp MX-5 is way more fun to drive 🤷🏻‍♂️ The Emira will be quite a bit slower than the Tesla for sure, but I don't think that this will be an issue.
I totally accept the Emira will not be as fast as the Model 3 P in a straight line. So long as it has descent pickup I’m good with that. The looks, light weight and good handling will be leaps and bounds above I’m sure. Happy to hear another person saying their gas car is more fun that their fast EV daily :)

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score

Put it this way...

Not good.
Swap out the C63 🙂

OP
lynchy73

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
All gasoline cars will have "power and response" that feels lethargic compared to a performance model Tesla. Even gasoline cars that have the acceleration to match won't feel as responsive and immediate. You really have to ask yourself what you want out of a car. Go test drive a Cayman and ask yourself if you are going to be satisfied with something like that. If not, you have your answer.

For me, I have no desire to own a Tesla or any other electric vehicle from my perspective as an automotive enthusiast. The reasons are entirely irrational - I grew up with gasoline cars. If I grew up with electric cars, I am sure I would feel differently. Our next family car will likely be fully electric - some sort of compact or mid-sized SUV. Even there, I'll likely not get a Tesla, but instead focus on models offered by brands like MB, BMW, and Audi, who can build a much better and more comfortable interior than Tesla, as well as a more appealing exterior styling.
I grew up with gasoline cars too, I’m 50 next year not 25 :) I’m in the business of making batteries, so it’s only right to be open to the new technologies and new ways of doing things.

I Loved my fast gas cars and bikes when I was a little younger and still do. Still own a 95 R33 Skyline GTR but it’s in storage in my home country for over a decade already. In it’s day that was bloody fast and is still no slouch.

In the country where I now reside, it’s not really much of an option to have the cool and reasonably affordable cars that you can get into, in the US, UK or Europe for a not too ridiculous price point. The Tesla is very good value here where I reside (China) and I’m curious about the tech and why not the performance version if you can! FYI the Emira I4 OTR will cost 2.6 times what the Tesla cost me last year. The price difference between the I4 Emira and V6 in China would more than cover the cost of a standard range model 3 outright!

My Tesla is my daily and I can appreciate its many pros, accept it’s got some cons too (Tesla owners don’t tend to feel there are as many cons as the non Tesla owners feel there are) and it’s not a thing of beauty, that’s for sure. My Emira will be my my big treat to myself because we can. Nobody needs a beautiful 2 seater sports car, but they are nice to have too ;)

YsoBlue21

Reaction score
I have a Tesla Model Y non performance with acceleration boost and it is great. I also lowered it with a coilovers which helped the handing. I am looking to add a MX-5 for a fun summer weekend car. I love the Emira and was absolutely obsessed when I first saw I it, but it is too far out of my reach price wise.

Attachments

• B1203568-4AFA-4F85-AC69-C30CD62CCAD3.jpeg
    B1203568-4AFA-4F85-AC69-C30CD62CCAD3.jpeg
    348.7 KB · Views: 31

YsoBlue21

Reaction score
AN MX-5 is great - so much fun !! That is a good combo to be fair.
Was looking at the new BRZ/GR86 but they are in the middle of a oil pan RTV sealant issue so I have taken that off the list for now.

OP
lynchy73

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have a Tesla Model Y non performance with acceleration boost and it is great. I also lowered it with a coilovers which helped the handing. I am looking to add a MX-5 for a fun summer weekend car. I love the Emira and was absolutely obsessed when I first saw I it, but it is too far out of my reach price wise.
I like to mod cars too. Did coil overs and wheels on our Audi (for looks more than anything, it is not a sporty model). Was considering to do the same to the Tesla but have resisted the urge so far. The other half is not a big fan of such messing about.

Once you start, it’s easy to get carried away and obsessive about it (for me at least).

Would love a spin in an MX5. Don’t see many over here.

Raine88

Reaction score
I daily drive a ModelS P. It's even more power than the Model3 Performance, on a straight line, even my friend's lambos or mclarens feel laggy.. But heck I find i enjoy driving ICE cars alot more even if they are far slower. Electric is nice to drive, but lacks interaction, and soul of the drive. It's not all about the instant power.

I am definitely looking forward to enjoying the emira over my ModelS P.

Although I think you should ask yourself what you are looking for in a car? A good comfy daily drive? Or a engaging fun drive?