• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Air Filters?

EmirOfDenmark

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Does anyone have experiences with K&N air filters, or any other air filters for Emira, that enable the car to "breathe in" better? From my (very limited technical) knowledge, that tends to improve the overall performance (and induction sound).
Any insight / experience with this in the Emira? Thanks!

nelly111s

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I suspect any Evora owners may be able to help with this, too.

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
First thing I’ve done in every car I’ve owned is to replace the stock air filter with a K&N.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I've seen engines run bad after K&N installation as the intake manifold and MAF sensors build up with gunk over time because of K&N filter oil. Those filters enable the engine to breathe better because they have bigger filter pores. But to catch the dust, oil is added to the filter and some of it inevitably enters the engine intake.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lotus pushes back on any engine warranty claims if a K&N filter (or similar oil infused air filter) is installed.

EyeFour Eemeerah!

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I've seen engines run bad after K&N installation as the intake manifold and MAF sensors built up with gunk over time because of K&N filter oil. Those filters enable the engine to breathe better because they have bigger filter pores. But to catch the dust, oil is added to the filter and some of it inevitably enters the engine intake.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lotus pushes back on any engine warranty claims if a K&N filter (or similar oil infused air filter) is installed.
Hence the dry filters. Just wash as often as you please. Breathes freely, and sounds incredible without the oil.

OP
EmirOfDenmark

EmirOfDenmark

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hence the dry filters. Just wash as often as you please. Breathes freely, and sounds incredible without the oil.
That sounds like the right option- does anyone know if there is an aftermarket air filter for the Emira?

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Replacing the stock filter won't improve induction noise. You'll need to replace the restrictive stock airbox with a more open air filter/intake system.

EyeFour Eemeerah!

Emira Fan
Reaction score

They have the Evora version, but the Emira of course is not listed yet.

Cool filters. My experiences with them THEY DO improve induction noise. Both applications I have used them in effects were very apparent. The cost of them was the equivalent of three replacements of paper filters, so long term they are also cost efficient. Haven’t found any detriment thus far, as I always send my oil samples to Blackstone from each oil change.

wuster

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
does anyone know if evora vs emira filters are different? I believe it's same engine and similar side intake vent. They might have used same airbox :)

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
does anyone know if evora vs emira filters are different? I believe it's same engine and similar side intake vent. They might have used same airbox :)
Nope. Completely different airbox so filters are different.

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I've seen engines run bad after K&N installation as the intake manifold and MAF sensors build up with gunk over time because of K&N filter oil. Those filters enable the engine to breathe better because they have bigger filter pores. But to catch the dust, oil is added to the filter and some of it inevitably enters the engine intake.

Have also heard this and avoid them for this reason. The issue is exaggerated if you get a little too much oil on the filter when you 'service' it.

wuster

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Unfortunately K&N doesn't have yet... i messaged them on timing, haven't heard back... I would really love a simple drop in filter! (as opposed to whole air box / intake system replacement.
Have also heard this and avoid them for this reason. The issue is exaggerated if you get a little too much oil on the filter when you 'service' it.
Oh interesting... I actually didn't appreciate some of these comments initially, in US K&N / oil filters very common and widely trusted.

Personally have had great experienced with K&N and never had any problems with all my cars: starting with Nissan Skyline GT (G35), Range Rover Sport Supercharged (5L V8 Supercharged), E63 W212 (NA 6.3L V8), Audi RS7 (4.0L Twin Turbo). All of these engines loved the open intake and never gave me check engine light or any issues. Washed (de-lubed) and lubed every 6-10K miles (w/ oil change), probably 160K miles in total... Loved it!

First thing I’ve done in every car I’ve owned is to replace the stock air filter with a K&N.
agreed... :)

They have the Evora version, but the Emira of course is not listed yet.

Cool filters. My experiences with them THEY DO improve induction noise. Both applications I have used them in effects were very apparent. The cost of them was the equivalent of three replacements of paper filters, so long term they are also cost efficient. Haven’t found any detriment thus far, as I always send my oil samples to Blackstone from each oil change.
open to trying... when they have it... If you know when, I'm sure many of us are eager.

I pinged JUBU to see if they sell separately or only as part of their CPU Tune Kit.

Last edited:

NoFear99

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I ordered the K and N air filter drop in from Greg.

I’m pretty sure the supercharger noise is going to be a bit louder as with my exige s.

Let’s hope the install wont be too much of a pain. I think it must be done by the rear wheel fender.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
In case some of you haven't seen it:

Attachments

• ---TSB_2020_01_USA_Unauthorised_Modification_Warranty_Implications_.pdf
    7 MB · Views: 66