• The June 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 June 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

A/C Vibration???

LuckysDad

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Anyone else's car have a noticeable increase in vibration at idle when the air conditioner is on?

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I haven't with mine. I was out today in 85 degree heat with the A/C on, and didn't notice anything unusual, although that sort of thing is common on small displacement engines. The A/C compressor adds load to the engine, so sometimes it will do that. Normally the idle speed is increased slightly to compensate. How many miles do you have on your car?

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
When you turn the A/C on does it sound like the idle is a bit lower than normal? Can you record a sound file of it?

OP
LuckysDad

LuckysDad

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Idle stays the same.
I don't hear any difference with the AC on or off.
Just feel a noticeable vibration at idle when it's on.
The idle is completely smooth with it off.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Idle stays the same.
I don't hear any difference with the AC on or off.
Just feel a noticeable vibration at idle when it's on.
The idle is completely smooth with it off.
So you don't hear it, you only feel it. Hmm. I don't know, doesn't sound serious but I guess it wouldn't hurt to have the dealership look at it. If they have a demo car there, see if you can test it with the A/C on to see if it does the same thing yours does.

OP
LuckysDad

LuckysDad

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That's a good idea. I think I'll run over there tomorrow to see if their demo does it too.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I was out yesterday and specifically checked this when driving. It was hot and the A/C was on (which works great by the way). I noticed a very slight vibration in the shift lever when I turned the A/C on. I didn't feel it unless I had my hand on the shift lever. That's normal. Every car I've ever had you can usually hear and feel the difference in the engine (especially when idling) when the A/C is turned on, because the compressor adds load to the engine.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
No unusual vibration on mine. If you turn on the AC and something seems to be shaking that you can feel through the body of the car, a dealer needs to look at the system. The compressor may be struggling.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Mine shakes at idle. The shake clearly goes away when I turn off the AC. It also idles lower with AC off, at about 700 rpm. With AC on it idles at 900.

Edit to add that my car had the AC resistor issue and fix.

Tobiasz17azs

Emira Fan
Reaction score

Guys check my tread . This is what I got and it’s related to AC . I think my compressor needs to be replaced .