991.1 GT3 engine issues

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
So I was doing the weekly Autotrader skim and realized a 2015 GT3 is actually not a bad price! I didn't know about the issue with the "finger followers" having an issue. Apparently Porsche will replace the engine if it's under warranty, but aren't they well out of warranty by now? Would have to look into a specific car to learn if the repair had already been completed I guess.

That would be a car that would live in my garage forever. I've driven the 997 version and these are seemingly much better (problems aside).

MCS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Porsche do a really good deal on warranty extension so you’ll probably find that a lot will still have a warranty

Don’t buy one. I sold mine and I’ve missed it everyday since. No one else is allowed to have one now 😆

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
So I was doing the weekly Autotrader skim and realized a 2015 GT3 is actually not a bad price! I didn't know about the issue with the "finger followers" having an issue. Apparently Porsche will replace the engine if it's under warranty, but aren't they well out of warranty by now? Would have to look into a specific car to learn if the repair had already been completed I guess.

That would be a car that would live in my garage forever. I've driven the 997 version and these are seemingly much better (problems aside).
What year did that problem get resolved?

OP
NicolasB

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I was formerly a Porsche Certified Master Technician, and we replaced Boxster engines under goodwill claims. Usually the customer would only pay some of the labor. Maybe this would be a similar situation. Saw some in the $140k (us) range. They are absolutely amazing cars.

Bertelli

Reaction score
Due to the problems Porsche extended the engine warranty to 10 years. You also need to check the engine number fitted in the car - E and F are bad. G is good.

Gibbo205

Reaction score
Hi there

I own a 991.1 2014 GT3 still on the original engine.

911GT3.jpg

gt6.jpg

It is an insane car, I've also got a Lotus Exige 410 20th Anniversary too, done track days in both, they are both incredible, the GT3 is faster, but the Exige is more engaging on track, manual and lighter etc. but the GT3 is way better on road.

In regards to the engine issues, my car has an original "E" engine, the most likely to fail, I am on 16,000 trouble free miles so far. Later cars had an "F" engine which is less likely to fail but still does. Replacement engines are "G" marked and seem to resolve the issue.

The 991.1 GT3 RS also has a similar issue but there is no goodwill official warranty on the RS.

On the 991.1 GT3 all of them have a FREE 10yr goodwill warranty from Porsche or upto 100,000 miles, whichever comes first which for most will be 10 years, I know people who have had engines fail and Porsche dealerships will normally have the car back on the road within a month with a brand new engine fitted.

Also all Porsches from a dealer come with a 2yr warranty covering entire car and this is extendable upto 15 years old. The 991.1 is an awesome car, really raw engine and chassis but also fine for road use.

OP
NicolasB

NicolasB

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Hi there

I own a 991.1 2014 GT3 still on the original engine.

View attachment 7847

View attachment 7848

It is an insane car, I've also got a Lotus Exige 410 20th Anniversary too, done track days in both, they are both incredible, the GT3 is faster, but the Exige is more engaging on track, manual and lighter etc. but the GT3 is way better on road.

In regards to the engine issues, my car has an original "E" engine, the most likely to fail, I am on 16,000 trouble free miles so far. Later cars had an "F" engine which is less likely to fail but still does. Replacement engines are "G" marked and seem to resolve the issue.

The 991.1 GT3 RS also has a similar issue but there is no goodwill official warranty on the RS.

On the 991.1 GT3 all of them have a FREE 10yr goodwill warranty from Porsche or upto 100,000 miles, whichever comes first which for most will be 10 years, I know people who have had engines fail and Porsche dealerships will normally have the car back on the road within a month with a brand new engine fitted.

Also all Porsches from a dealer come with a 2yr warranty covering entire car and this is extendable upto 15 years old. The 991.1 is an awesome car, really raw engine and chassis but also fine for road use.
Really appreciate this post! Car is gorgeous 😍 So tempting!

Autopsy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
As my emira won't be coming for another year I'm also in the market for a used 991.1GT3. I really dig blue GT3 with light grey wheels~

Gibbo205

Reaction score
As my emira won't be coming for another year I'm also in the market for a used 991.1GT3. I really dig blue GT3 with light grey wheels~

As much as I love the Emira and one should never compare new and used, but a GT3 at 20-30k more is probably worth every penny as the GT3 is on another level. 9000rpm flat engine and very solid residuals.