8/15 Factory Tour

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
...and more limited paint options of course.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
My point is given you'll be able to spec a "First Edition" configuration from a "Base" Edition, what's the point of a First Edition designation? Totally pointless really. It's the same "Base" car with the same options availability just with a different exterior badge.
It’s standard practice look at Aston and VW to have first editions, but you can spec base to same level admittedly for more money.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It’s standard practice look at Aston and VW to have first editions, but you can spec base to same level admittedly for more money.
Standard or common practice doesn't make it common sense. :)

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I reckon that when the Base options prices are announced the FE is going to look like very good value. Matt W pledged to stick to prices announced so far, but of course that doesn't apply to the options and Lotus have to recoup some of their inflation losses somehow. Just imagine how energy costs alone must be eating into their bottom line.

TomAce

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Same with the Alpine A110 back in 2018, there it was the "première édition", but they at least to manage make a limited amount of them and put plates inside the cars with like 007 of 1850 or something like that.

That would have made the First edition much more special, just a little plate inside of the car. Renault / Alpine knows how to do that.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I reckon that when the Base options prices are announced the FE is going to look like very good value. Matt W pledged to stick to prices announced so far, but of course that doesn't apply to the options and Lotus have to recoup some of their inflation losses somehow. Just imagine how energy costs alone must be eating into their bottom line.
He said they'd honour prices for people who'd already placed an order. Deposit holders in the UK have paid a reservation fee but technically don't place an order until the start of the 30 day process. Non-UK people only place an order when they are at a certain point in the run up to production and have to lock in their spec, for example 6 months prior in the US. Before that it's just a deposit, in some cases non-refundable even if Lotus increases the price.

In practice, I think they'll try to honour the V6 FE pricing already announced. But UK headline inflation went over 10% in July and inflation on some raw materials and energy costs are 30%+, so I don't know how long Lotus will be able to stick to that pledge.

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I must be in the minority. I hope they never make another Emira version and spoil the initial impact of the FE.

I kinda hope they bring out the FE and then give up and concentrate on the EVs. :D
That’s not very nice yo

jamesbxxx

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’m hoping with a 2022 delivery now promised, I’ll benefit from the price freeze. A 10% rise will be a hard one to swallow… Lotus have the right to change anything up to the final payment date. 🤞

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’m hoping with a 2022 delivery now promised, I’ll benefit from the price freeze. A 10% rise will be a hard one to swallow… Lotus have the right to change anything up to the final payment date. 🤞
Wait, are they saying now that cars delivered after the 1st of 2023 will have a price jump?

I'm in the US and many of our FE deliveries were always intended to be after the new year, including mine, and I was personally assured that the ordered price would be honored.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Wait, are they saying now that cars delivered after the 1st of 2023 will have a price jump?

I'm in the US and many of our FE deliveries were always intended to be after the new year, including mine, and I was personally assured that the ordered price would be honored.
They're going to hold to the original pricing for orders that are already in the system. The entire first year production run of V6 FE's for North America were already spoken for awhile ago. Those people won't see a price increase. We thought the first year production run was going to be completed the end of this year (2022), but now it's going to extend into the first half of next year, but it's still part of the first production year. Any order placed for cars in the second year production run and beyond, which will start in the second half of next year, will most likely be affected by a price increase of some kind due to inflation.

I just read where the inflation rate in the U.K. is now 10%. If that percentage gets tacked on to the cost of the car, then the base price i4 would go up from £59,995 to £65,995. This might even show up on the cost of options and option packages. Depends on if Lotus gets better pricing due to economy of scale for the quantities they're now ordering, compared to what they were first expecting. That might be enough to offset inflation pressure; at least for the next year.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
They're going to hold to the original pricing for orders that are already in the system. The entire first year production run of V6 FE's for North America were already spoken for awhile ago. Those people won't see a price increase. We thought the first year production run was going to be completed the end of this year (2022), but now it's going to extend into the first half of next year, but it's still part of the first production year. Any order placed for cars in the second year production run and beyond, which will start in the second half of next year, will most likely be affected by a price increase of some kind due to inflation.

I just read where the inflation rate in the U.K. is now 10%. If that percentage gets tacked on to the cost of the car, then the base price i4 would go up from £59,995 to £65,995. This might even show up on the cost of options and option packages. Depends on if Lotus gets better pricing due to economy of scale for the quantities they're now ordering, compared to what they were first expecting. That might be enough to offset inflation pressure; at least for the next year.
Perhaps....
The topic is both confusing and concerning.

Matt said in his June video Lotus would honor previously announced pricing. FE wasn't explicit.
Three months before that video, i4 and Base price were identified in a March Lotus press announcement. Of course the add-on options post FE can become more costly, and we will know when specifics are published in late fall. Even then it's 8 months ahead of actual production .

It would have been more clear if the statement was, 'the cost of the Emira you placed an order for won't change by the time it is delivered. ' But that wasn't what he said in the video.
Acknowledging delays while honoring announced prices for depositors is therefore a reasonable interpretation.

Remember the expression: A day late and a dollar short?
#ForTheDepositors

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Perhaps....
The topic is both confusing and concerning.

Matt said in his June video Lotus would honor previously announced pricing. FE wasn't explicit.
Three months before that video, i4 and Base price were identified in a March Lotus press announcement. Of course the add-on options post FE can become more costly, and we will know when specifics are published in late fall. Even then it's 8 months ahead of actual production .

It would have been more clear if the statement was, 'the cost of the Emira you placed an order for won't change by the time it is delivered. ' But that wasn't what he said in the video.
Acknowledging delays while honoring announced prices for depositors is therefore a reasonable interpretation.

Remember the expression: A day late and a dollar short?
#ForTheDepositors
Matt said it was for orders already placed. That's confusing and open to interpretation. Very few people have actually placed an order, some have paid a reservation fee (everyone in the UK) and some have paid a deposit. I think the only people who have placed an order are US deposit holders who have locked in their spec to a confirmed allocation.

I think Matt meant people who had placed a deposit, but that wasn't what he said.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Matt said it was for orders already placed. That's confusing and open to interpretation. Very few people have actually placed an order, some have paid a reservation fee (everyone in the UK) and some have paid a deposit. I think the only people who have placed an order are US deposit holders who have locked in their spec to a confirmed allocation.

I think Matt meant people who had placed a deposit, but that wasn't what he said.
Lotus can end the uncertainty by specifying now what it meant.
It might be taken one way for reservations, another for depositors and a third way for orders in present production que.

So much time, so much speculation.

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Ha - imagine the furore if Lotus knocked the price up , across the board, by £10k/$12k.

We thought we were annoyed at the delay and comms. :ninja:

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Lotus can end the uncertainty by specifying now what it meant.
It might be taken one way for reservations, another for depositors and a third way for orders in present production que.

So much time, so much speculation.
You're assuming Lotus listens to customer feedback and clarifies areas of ambiguity.

We still don't know what's happened to the "first customer car to be built", shown in the 10 June video. Or if we'll ever see an official picture of Dark Verdant.

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Ha - imagine the furore if Lotus knocked the price up , across the board, by £10k/$12k.

I for one cannot afford a 10% price hike. It’s like the German Gods are quietly inviting me into the certified 718 fold. Add OHLINS and enjoy.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

It would only be £10k if the starting price was £100k. Realistically I can see an increase of £5k-£6k. I doubt Lotus really wants to raise the price though, because it's largely due to the price point that the Emira has received so many deposits/orders. The closer the starting point gets to £100k, then they're right back where the Evora was, and sales would suffer. The Emira doesn't really have the performance power to be in that price range, and even if it did, now it's solidly up against Porsche and some heavy-hitter competition. They're not that type of company to be in that league; at least not at the present time.

Reactions: DJS

lion shf

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
It would only be £10k if the starting price was £100k. Realistically I can see an increase of £5k-£6k. I doubt Lotus really wants to raise the price though, because it's largely due to the price point that the Emira has received so many deposits/orders. The closer the starting point gets to £100k, then they're right back where the Evora was, and sales would suffer. The Emira doesn't really have the performance power to be in that price range, and even if it did, now it's solidly up against Porsche and some heavy-hitter competition. They're not that type of company to be in that league; at least not at the present time.
Hope youre right.