Diaries of the first Lotus Emira picked up from Hethel - V6 FE - yellow / ice / silver / sport

OP
S

shaank

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Ok, quick initial car thoughts, before it's fully run in!

770 miles now.

V6 manual, First Edition.
Sports Suspension / Chassis
Goodyear tyres

Obviously it looks insane, I love it. I don't need to talk about that as we all know what it looks like.

The engine is starting to loosen up as the miles are done, the exhaust is sounding a little better also. Overall it's not 'loud' but Sport driving mode is needed to give the burbles and the sound I'd expect. In the next few hundred miles it might sound a little better, but overall it's great. Not loud and obnoxious, it's definitely toned down however to meet regulations and such. I imagine you could make it a little louder easily.

It revs great, obviously I'm to be keeping it under 4000/4500 for most of the time so I'm not red lining it to get max power at the moment, but it's very progressive power band is an absolute joy to drive and shifts so so nicely, and smoothly. The gearbox is rewarding, and inspires confidence, quick snappy shifts and rev matching is pretty easy. I'm no expert, I'm used to DCT M cars and haven't owned a manual for years, but this makes light work of it. You can get a lot of out this car.

Road holding is incredible. In Tour or Sports mode it just grips to levels I can't quite get my head around. My M4 wheel spins and is mad. This just grips and goes. It handles on rails. It's absolutely sublime. Sports is firm, but no harsher than a lowered M car, and is much more planted. I think Tour would make more sense if you were in town a lot or dailying it on rough roads, but Sports suits me perfectly.

Speed bumps aren't much of an issue either, ground clearance is pretty good (vs lowered M4)

I took it to the first 'cars and coffee' style meet I could on Sunday, and it attracted a lot of folk, and a LOT of pictures were taken (my instagram has most of these shared in the stories, along with videos of the car revving while driving past etc) The attention it gets (especially in such an in your face colour) is pretty special to be honest.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I always enjoy reading how people new to Lotus cars describe the joy and wonder of Lotus-style ride and handling.

Looking forward to your feedback once you've finished the running-in miles.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Ok, quick initial car thoughts, before it's fully run in!

770 miles now.

V6 manual, First Edition.
Sports Suspension / Chassis
Goodyear tyres

Obviously it looks insane, I love it. I don't need to talk about that as we all know what it looks like.

The engine is starting to loosen up as the miles are done, the exhaust is sounding a little better also. Overall it's not 'loud' but Sport driving mode is needed to give the burbles and the sound I'd expect. In the next few hundred miles it might sound a little better, but overall it's great. Not loud and obnoxious, it's definitely toned down however to meet regulations and such. I imagine you could make it a little louder easily.

It revs great, obviously I'm to be keeping it under 4000/4500 for most of the time so I'm not red lining it to get max power at the moment, but it's very progressive power band is an absolute joy to drive and shifts so so nicely, and smoothly. The gearbox is rewarding, and inspires confidence, quick snappy shifts and rev matching is pretty easy. I'm no expert, I'm used to DCT M cars and haven't owned a manual for years, but this makes light work of it. You can get a lot of out this car.

Road holding is incredible. In Tour or Sports mode it just grips to levels I can't quite get my head around. My M4 wheel spins and is mad. This just grips and goes. It handles on rails. It's absolutely sublime. Sports is firm, but no harsher than a lowered M car, and is much more planted. I think Tour would make more sense if you were in town a lot or dailying it on rough roads, but Sports suits me perfectly.

Speed bumps aren't much of an issue either, ground clearance is pretty good (vs lowered M4)

I took it to the first 'cars and coffee' style meet I could on Sunday, and it attracted a lot of folk, and a LOT of pictures were taken (my instagram has most of these shared in the stories, along with videos of the car revving while driving past etc) The attention it gets (especially in such an in your face colour) is pretty special to be honest.
Very nice! You have an F82? I’ve an F80, lowered on Eibach springs and would love to hear more about the suspension comparison. I live in Northern California so can’t compare with UK roads but CA certainly isn’t smooth. It’s just OK. What bothers me about the F80 is the fake noise and excessive road noise, but suspension hasn’t been an issue for me.

OP
S

shaank

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I always enjoy reading how people new to Lotus cars describe the joy and wonder of Lotus-style ride and handling.

Looking forward to your feedback once you've finished the running-in miles.
I'm no car journalist so perhaps the words aren't right - but I'm sticking with sublime :D

OP
S

shaank

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Very nice! You have an F82? I’ve an F80, lowered on Eibach springs and would love to hear more about the suspension comparison. I live in Northern California so can’t compare with UK roads but CA certainly isn’t smooth. It’s just OK. What bothers me about the F80 is the fake noise and excessive road noise, but suspension hasn’t been an issue for me.
F83, convertible, so 'heavy'. It's on KW HAS suspension, more for looks as the rear sat way too high stock.

Tuned, the M4 is outright more powerful and quicker in a straight line than the Emira. But handling, the lotus is so planted, way less body roll, and way more grip. I take the M4 to the local track often, so I'll be taking the Emira when I get a chance. Lap times will reveal how much better it is at handling I guess!

In terms of comfort, the Emira's Sport setup is less 'crashy' than the lowered M4, it absorbs bumps pretty well I'd say, better than I expected anyway.

eriegz

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
'Official' Lotus PR team pics were mailed over to me today - here's a few ahead of their press release:

DSC06801.jpg

DSC06845.jpg

DSC06853.jpg

DSC06904.jpg

DSC06931.jpg

DSC06978.jpg

DSC06992.jpg

DSC07022.jpg

DSC07037.jpg

DSC07057.jpg
Way to go, Lotus! We knew you could do it! 😄

These are absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for sharing! And feel free to "double-punch" any photos into the Hethel Yellow photos thread too, if you are so inclined. :)

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Hethel Yellow photo thread updated :)

Car is now in the detailers to be machine polished and have lots of protection added, and definitely on those Ice Grey/White seats! Pics in a couple of days!

Appreciate all the updates. Most of us are living vicariously through you at this point!

I recommend asking for PPF on the piano black interior bits while everything is getting taken care of..

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hethel Yellow photo thread updated :)

Car is now in the detailers to be machine polished and have lots of protection added, and definitely on those Ice Grey/White seats! Pics in a couple of days!
I'd be interested to know which detailer in Edinburgh you are using. Are you going for PPF or just a coating?

OP
S

shaank

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The car is getting a two stage paint correction (the yellow is mostly fine, but some of the gloss black areas are benefitting hugely from a machine polish) then everything is being coated in Infinity Synergy Ceramic coating. I've got this on my Porsche Cayenne and it's really good. I've got another ceramic coating on the M4, but fancy the same as the Porsche for this car, should give the yellow an extra glossy look.

The interior is getting ceramic coating as well - Ice Grey / White will need it to be honest, it's definitely the easiest interior to mark, so the protection will help.

I'm using James at Superior Valet and Detailing, he's done several of my cars before and many of my friend's. He's part of the same car club I'm an admin for, so trust his work etc. Based in Livingston, just outside of Edinburgh.

No PPF yet - but looking into it as I think the gloss black side skirts / front bumper and interior trim will need this.

OP
S

shaank

Emira Fan
Reaction score

I'm no tiktok star or youtuber, but I figured I'd dust of my youtube channel and upload all the Emira videos I've currently taken and upload them. Since they are all under 1min it's uploaded them as 'shorts' which appears to be the new thing, attention spans of old are gone I guess!

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score

I'm no tiktok star or youtuber, but I figured I'd dust of my youtube channel and upload all the Emira videos I've currently taken and upload them. Since they are all under 1min it's uploaded them as 'shorts' which appears to be the new thing, attention spans of old are gone I guess!
Wow, talk about a tight squeeze through the door at Hethel!! Fun stuff.

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
The car is getting a two stage paint correction (the yellow is mostly fine, but some of the gloss black areas are benefitting hugely from a machine polish) then everything is being coated in Infinity Synergy Ceramic coating. I've got this on my Porsche Cayenne and it's really good. I've got another ceramic coating on the M4, but fancy the same as the Porsche for this car, should give the yellow an extra glossy look.

The interior is getting ceramic coating as well - Ice Grey / White will need it to be honest, it's definitely the easiest interior to mark, so the protection will help.

I'm using James at Superior Valet and Detailing, he's done several of my cars before and many of my friend's. He's part of the same car club I'm an admin for, so trust his work etc. Based in Livingston, just outside of Edinburgh.

No PPF yet - but looking into it as I think the gloss black side skirts / front bumper and interior trim will need this.
In my experience ceramic offers pretty much no protection beyond cleaning. It's going to need tome ppf I think.
I'm thinking front end and side skirts for me.

OP
S

shaank

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Big update post coming soon!!! And Lotus press release meant to be this week re my collection of the 1st one from Hethel :)

Detailing is done, now with Lotus Glasgow for a few bits and bobs and it's first modifications too!

Excited to get it back in the next day or two, pics and detailed writeup to follow, it'll be run in by the time I write it up too!

Overall - loving it :)

OP
S

shaank

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Video / Reel the detailers put together :)

Full safe wash, then contact wash.
Decontamination
two stage paint correction
Ceramic applied to wheels, glass and gloss black areas
Ceramic wax applied to the hethel yellow
Interior deep clean
Leather treated
Ceramic applied to everything inside

Why Ceramic wax and not 'full' ceramic? Simply put, I want to ppf some areas at some point, and this will come off easier, plus it'll be nice to be able to top it up myself. It's a car I want to 'touch' when cleaning, not just snow foam and rinse from time to time. That sounds weirder than I mean it to...... :D

Last edited: