• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Fitting a battery conditioner... Do's and Don'ts

Steve24

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Speaking to my dealership the normal one is the correct charge, I know this as I have been using it for a while now and it works.

Confusing I know.

Great, thank you.

Finally, is there a definite answer on where the negative should go?
On the terminal or on one of the battery securing bolts, or it makes no difference and either is fine?

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
That I don't know the dealership connected up my Ctek charger when I collected my car from them so anyone who hasn't collected there car yet that doesn't feel comfortable messing with the battery terminal take the Ctek charger with you. it only takes a few minute to install and definitely buy the connection with the traffic light system on it.

Ive used my Ctek charger continuously and have had no issues with my car whatsoever not even a warning light.

EyeFour Eemeerah!

Emira Fan
Reaction score
In my GT4, I simply use the lighter socket plug that came with the CTEK, and plug in the center armrest. Crack the window ever so slightly after parking it and route the cable in through it. No fuss, no muss.

981KMAN

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Question for those who have looked around their Emira Battery/Engine compartment.....

When routing the Battery Tender cable from the battery, rather than going thru the Battery Cover and into the boot, like this;
A4AD0D57-57F8-4923-A660-594BDE98743B.jpeg

or this....
IMG_8275.jpeg

Can you route the battery tender cable towards the engine compartment and out thru the vents in the plastic engine cover (red circle);
Pasted_Image_04_08_2023__17_48.png

Seems like there would be a path and it would eliminate the cable pinching the boot weather seal when the hatch is closed and charger in use.

Thanks for your input and thoughts!

Andrea

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Question for those who have looked around their Emira Battery/Engine compartment.....

When routing the Battery Tender cable from the battery, rather than going thru the Battery Cover and into the boot, like this;
View attachment 29864
or this....
View attachment 29865

Can you route the battery tender cable towards the engine compartment and out thru the vents in the plastic engine cover (red circle);
View attachment 29866

Seems like there would be a path and it would eliminate the cable pinching the boot weather seal when the hatch is closed and charger in use.

Thanks for your input and thoughts!
I wouldn’t do that, in that position it is exposed to the outside conditions whereas in the boot is proctected

981KMAN

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I wouldn’t do that, in that position it is exposed to the outside conditions whereas in the boot is proctected

OK, yet is it really exposed to "outside conditions" under the hatch? It's the same as being under the bonnet (hood) of a front engine cars, isn't it? Actually a little less "outside conditions" than a front engine car with the battery adjacent to the engine radiator........

The cable does not pinch.

There’s plenty of give in the rubber seal.

Good to hear, yet the concern is that the rubber seal will hold the pinched shape of the cable being closed on for long storage periods, like 4-5 months storage over the winter.

I appreciate your comments and input, thank you. Please keep replying.
I'm just trying to figure out the best option for me - no wrong or right answer - just what the options are.

Thanks!

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I've used a similar arrangement for my 2011 Evora for 11 years with the CTEK cable running across the boot seal and had no noticeable impact on the rubber seal or the CTEK cable. The car is on the CTEK all the time it isn't being driven, including periods of 3-5 months storage.

Andrea

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
OK, yet is it really exposed to "outside conditions" under the hatch? It's the same as being under the bonnet (hood) of a front engine cars, isn't it? Actually a little less "outside conditions" than a front engine car with the battery adjacent to the engine radiator........

Good to hear, yet the concern is that the rubber seal will hold the pinched shape of the cable being closed on for long storage periods, like 4-5 months storage over the winter.

I appreciate your comments and input, thank you. Please keep replying.
I'm just trying to figure out the best option for me - no wrong or right answer - just what the options are.

Thanks!
in front of that grille the boot is open, it is the small space between the rear glass and the rear of the car, that’s why I wouldn’t do it, on another hand TomE did something similar with no issues at all so I’m sure it might work but….just not my cup of tea 😅

_w_

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Question about the comfort indicator as it’s confusing me… fitted day before yesterday and tender plugged in all night (looked to work fine), took it off in the morning (IIRC it was showing status as float) and the indicator was amber. After an hours driving it was green. Couple of hours driving later that day and it was red. This morning Amber and still Amber after a couple of hours driving. Scorpion app says the battery is currently at 12.8, starts first time without issue 🤷‍♂️

Not sure how I could have fitted it wrongly, but also don’t see how it isn’t showing green right now??

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Question about the comfort indicator as it’s confusing me… fitted day before yesterday and tender plugged in all night (looked to work fine), took it off in the morning (IIRC it was showing status as float) and the indicator was amber. After an hours driving it was green. Couple of hours driving later that day and it was red. This morning Amber and still Amber after a couple of hours driving. Scorpion app says the battery is currently at 12.8, starts first time without issue 🤷‍♂️

Not sure how I could have fitted it wrongly, but also don’t see how it isn’t showing green right now??
Mine is exactly the same, basically always red, never really worked out why

Reactions: _w_

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I think I can answer this....

When you open the boot to check the traffic light it should be green initially if it isn't then it needs charging.

If you don't start the car there will be an instant drain on the battery which tends to change the colour from green to amber/red pretty quickly and this is what is confusing people, I believe this is down to the drain on the battery when the car engine is off.

Only consider charging on a red light or if you are leaving the car for a considerable amount of time.

Hope that makes sense.

Johnson

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Adding my experience to this valuable thread…

I had Lotus Melbourne install the Comfort Plug in the battery cover before delivery. First time they’ve done it, and they’ll be recommending it from now on. A very neat solution.

@DJS is right — the plug tends to go amber quite often. I’ll then connect the charger and it will show three amber lights. Eventually it will show a green. I doubt the battery is really discharging this fast… more likely the voltage interrogation is erring on the low side.

Lastly, you must also buy the 2.5m CTek extension cable. Otherwise the charger hangs out of the boot and sits on the bodywork.

Reactions: DJS

CHEESE

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the extreme climate version of the CTEK? Seems the same as the one previously referenced here, but for potentially cold weather.

Amazon product
61zLpDE5CVS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

981KMAN

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the extreme climate version of the CTEK? Seems the same as the one previously referenced here, but for potentially cold weather.

Amazon product

What are the benefits over the standard CTEK - 40-206 MXS 5.0?
This "Polar" version is more expensive then the normal MXS 5.0, and seems its made for Snowmobiles and Winter Driven Vehicles.

I know Vermont gets cold in the winter time, yet not that cold?? Do you plan on driving your Emira 12 month a year, and parking outside?

Rollie

Reaction score
in front of that grille the boot is open, it is the small space between the rear glass and the rear of the car, that’s why I wouldn’t do it, on another hand TomE did something similar with no issues at all so I’m sure it might work but….just not my cup of tea 😅

Attachments

• E19DB386-F3B1-4002-9C32-83A04C4BADB5.jpeg
    E19DB386-F3B1-4002-9C32-83A04C4BADB5.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 66

CHEESE

Emira Fan
Reaction score
What are the benefits over the standard CTEK - 40-206 MXS 5.0?
This "Polar" version is more expensive then the normal MXS 5.0, and seems its made for Snowmobiles and Winter Driven Vehicles.

I know Vermont gets cold in the winter time, yet not that cold?? Do you plan on driving your Emira 12 month a year, and parking outside?

My Emira will be stored in a detached (and likely non-heated) garage over the winter, so it will be connected to a CTEK for months at a time in the cold without being driven. I'm not sure what the temp operating range is for the standard version and don't mind spending a little more for a more rugged version.

forest

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Amazon product
Its cold weather mode is the same as AGM mode.
Since Emira's battery is a dry battery (Platinum AGM096E), there is no problem with AGM mode, so I don't think there is any advantage to choose MUS4.3.