• The June 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 June 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

$1149$ Oil change price

To my shock, my car recently was towed from KC to St. Louis for issues related to the car not starting consistently. It keep getting worse and finally throwing a code I shipped it to Holman Lotus. Since it was already there I decided to have the oil flushed. So I asked my service advisor to give me a price quote. To my shock I thought she had put an extra 1 in front of the 1149. I reminded her that this was a Toyota engine not Ferrari, but she clearly stated that she was correct and they charge 300hr.

Has anyone else experienced this price for an oil change?? How would it take 3 hours to perform an oil change? Considering I live in KC and the dealership is 3hrs away I have no intention to take it back there for the yearly scheduled service with 300hr. Will it effect my warranty if I do my oil changes myself.

Hmmm……not that fixed then….. Check years 2 and 4…..

I don't understand your point.
Year 4 is more expensive, presumably the 27k service is a lot more involved on Emira, but what isn't 'fixed price' about it?

I don't understand your point.
Year 4 is more expensive, presumably the 27k service is a lot more involved on Emira, but what isn't 'fixed price' about it?

My point is that Bell and Colville prices are higher than the fixed prices on the Lotus UK web page for years 2 and 4……

Cost? It would be a good baseline for comparison…
Out the door was about $330. About $200 for labor and shop fees. The rest for parts and taxes. Plus they do a quick inspection of fluids and pressures. Then they performed a hand service wash which was better than a lot of detailers. Definitely worth the cost for me.

While I was hanging out , every person in the dealership came by and said ‘hi’ at some point, including the admin staff and owner. It’s a great place to buy cars!

Has anyone done the oil change themselves and if so, do you have a list of what you purchased?

lots of info here

lots of info here

Appreciate it. Thanks

My local Lotus dealer quoted $360 for the 1,000 mile oil change.

I also called a highly trusted local indie euro shop and they quoted me... $380 lol (and they said they'd need it all day).

I may end up doing it myself. Just need to buy some ramps.

We did the oil change at 1k ourselves, you'll need to remove the rear valence, and rear skid plate. I have a picture of the diffuser with red circles, do not remove these, they hold a bar that stiffens the valence, removing them won't do any harm, it will just unmount the stiffening bar. The other picture with green circles are the bolts you need to undo to get access to everything, they're 10mm, and 7mm 6 point hex heads. We had an issue with some of the nut inserts where they bent and wouldn't allow the screw to go back in, just need to be careful to not bend them when removing the bolts. Last pic is the funnel you'll need to put the oil in, it's tucked under the right in the engine bay and a traditional funnel cant be used to get the oil in. Other than taking off skid plate/valence it's the same procedure for any car to do the oil change. Tomorrow we're putting on a new exhaust so I can take some better pics of everything uncovered.

Attachments

• unnamed (6).jpg
    unnamed (6).jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 35
  • unnamed (5).jpg
    unnamed (5).jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 37
  • unnamed (4).jpg
    unnamed (4).jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 35
We did the oil change at 1k ourselves, you'll need to remove the rear valence, and rear skid plate. I have a picture of the diffuser with red circles, do not remove these, they hold a bar that stiffens the valence, removing them won't do any harm, it will just unmount the stiffening bar. The other picture with green circles are the bolts you need to undo to get access to everything, they're 10mm, and 7mm 6 point hex heads. We had an issue with some of the nut inserts where they bent and wouldn't allow the screw to go back in, just need to be careful to not bend them when removing the bolts. Last pic is the funnel you'll need to put the oil in, it's tucked under the right in the engine bay and a traditional funnel cant be used to get the oil in. Other than taking off skid plate/valence it's the same procedure for any car to do the oil change. Tomorrow we're putting on a new exhaust so I can take some better pics of everything uncovered.

You don't have to remove the diffuser for an oil change. There are also 3 bolts under the black rubber caps in the center by the diffuser. I marked the bolts that do need to be removed in red

1718214214411.png

Last edited:
You don't have to remove the diffuser for an oil change. There are also 3 bolts under the black rubber caps in the center by the diffuser. I marked the bolts that do need to be removed in red

View attachment 45680
Thanks for correcting, it's been a bit, added pics of the tray removed, 14mm hex for the drain plug, 3/8" drive for the oil filter housing.

Attachments

• unnamed (7).jpg
    unnamed (7).jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 27
  • unnamed (9).jpg
    unnamed (9).jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 27
  • unnamed (8).jpg
    unnamed (8).jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 27
To my shock, my car recently was towed from KC to St. Louis for issues related to the car not starting consistently. It keep getting worse and finally throwing a code I shipped it to Holman Lotus. Since it was already there I decided to have the oil flushed. So I asked my service advisor to give me a price quote. To my shock I thought she had put an extra 1 in front of the 1149. I reminded her that this was a Toyota engine not Ferrari, but she clearly stated that she was correct and they charge 300hr.

Has anyone else experienced this price for an oil change?? How would it take 3 hours to perform an oil change? Considering I live in KC and the dealership is 3hrs away I have no intention to take it back there for the yearly scheduled service with 300hr. Will it effect my warranty if I do my oil changes myself.
I got quoted $900 for the first 1000 miles oil change with added service such as full inspection of the car, torque of all the suspension and chassis, and then sending the driving report back to Lotus. I am in San Mateo, CA. quote is from Boardwalk Lotus in Redwood City.

This is all pretty ridiculous for a non-supercar, between things like oil change prices and the $7500+ I've seen for windshield glass, this isn't an affordable sportscar

This is all pretty ridiculous for a non-supercar, between things like oil change prices and the $7500+ I've seen for windshield glass, this isn't an affordable sportscar
Neither of those prices are realistic. People are getting wild pricing from a few unscrupulous dealers, this isn't the norm.

These prices are freaking ridiculous. Can we agree that the average price you should be paying for an oil change in the US is $250-300? (Regardless of location. I live in NJ and it cost $260 from a lotus dealer).

Everything above that price is too much and you should really think about doing it yourself

Without getting roasted too much, would it be beyond dumb to take it to a Toyota dealership for routine maintenance like the oil change?
I’ve actually seen a YouTube video where a Toyota dealer actually does an oil change on an Evora. So it’s possible but highly unlikely they’ve never done one before so your car might be the guinea pig. Might be helpful to call Toyota dealers and ask around

I’ve actually seen a YouTube video where a Toyota dealer actually does an oil change on an Evora. So it’s possible but highly unlikely they’ve never done one before so your car might be the guinea pig. Might be helpful to call Toyota dealers and ask around
Interesting. I’ll need to check out that video. I actually called my local dealer thinking it would be a long shot. They said yes. No problem. Evidently they also service non Toyotas as well. Given the engine being shared they feel comfortable doing it. $79.95 oil change LOL. Anyhow just brainstorming

Without getting roasted too much, would it be beyond dumb to take it to a Toyota dealership for routine maintenance like the oil change?
Maybe a high quality independent mechanic would make more sense than a Toyota dealer? The engine isn't anything that requires a "Toyota expert" and I'd rather have the underfloor trays, etc, removed and installed by someone who cares, not a junior mechanic at a Toyota dealership.