• The June 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 June 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Shift Knob Replacement

Nice shot.

Do both plastic structure "rings" below the sill fit within the height of the Alcantara side trim? Trying to figure out whether the structure here is removable using the screws visible in your photo:

20220423_lotus_carbuyer~2.jpg

Hard to tell without starting to dismantle it.

The service notes suggest it’s not straightforward and I’m afraid the standard setup doesn’t offend me enough to start down that road.

Well, I’ve found exactly what I want to match my steering wheel and seats. It’s from Billetworkz.com. Once we figure out some of the details of the stock knob (thread pitch and lockout clearance required), I’ll chat with them and see if there is something that might fit.

Do we have instructions for removing the knob??

IMG_0381.jpeg

Well, I’ve found exactly what I want to match my steering wheel and seats. It’s from Billetworkz.com. Once we figure out some of the details of the stock knob (thread pitch and lockout clearance required), I’ll chat with them and see if there is something that might fit.

View attachment 42463
Pictures tell the story:

PXL_20231129_221818108.jpg

PXL_20231129_221930698.jpg

The knob is under tension from the spring, so don't let it get away from you as you unscrew it.

I played around trying to make this work this evening.
I got it to work and liked the way it felt, the larger size felt better to me.
The OEM is about 1.5 inch diameter - this one is about a 2 inch diameter.

But I did not like the way it attached, so put the original back.

I cut the collar that came with it to make it flush with the bottom of the "ball". My problem was the ball did not cover the entire spring and was not attached as tight as I would like it to be. It uses hard rubber "cones" as adapters and the way I was using it, the set screw was not able to tighten through the rubber like I needed it to.

So I think I am going to have to make something out of wood myself.
The "attachment" measurements I took of the OEM shifter knob is:
Opening of the bottom of the shifter (that goes over the spring)over is 7/8 inch diameter with a depth of 9/16 of an inch. Then the actual "screw portion (nut)" starts after that and is about 3/4inch deep. From on line it looks like the thread is 12mm.

Ideally I would like the Lotus europa wood knob (pic attached) but they seem impossible to find (Lotus Part Numbers A138V0971J and A124U0259F)

Attachments

• lotus_europas2007_040_250.jpg
    lotus_europas2007_040_250.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 19
  • s-l200.jpg
    s-l200.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 19

I cut the collar that came with it to make it flush with the bottom of the "ball". My problem was the ball did not cover the entire spring and was not attached as tight as I would like it to be. It uses hard rubber "cones" as adapters and the way I was using it, the set screw was not able to tighten through the rubber like I needed it to.

Opening of the bottom of the shifter (that goes over the spring)over is 7/8 inch diameter with a depth of 9/16 of an inch. Then the actual "screw portion (nut)" starts after that and is about 3/4inch deep. From on line it looks like the thread is 12mm.

Ideally I would like the Lotus europa wood knob (pic attached) but they seem impossible to find (Lotus Part Numbers A138V0971J and A124U0259F)
I'd be very interested to see what you come up with. I've been looking and even contacting companies, but haven't found anything I like yet. I was even thinking of just buying a wood lathe and making one myself, but I'd like to see what you're able to do.

View attachment 42463
Im looking for something similar.. let me know if it fits

If it turns out similar to the Lotus Europa's knob (1st picture), which I tried unsuccessfully to find for sale, I'm in.
I think it's beautiful and should match nicely with the Tan leather interior.

I am considering having something made too.

@B r I a n did you already take measurements of the knob with the relief on the underside? If not I will pop mine off and use my trusty calipers, and do a dimensional sketch.

@B r I a n did you already take measurements of the knob with the relief on the underside? If not I will pop mine off and use my trusty calipers, and do a dimensional sketch.
Yes, please do. I've already been looking into making one, and there are pre-made machined inserts that you can buy that are already threaded. Just need the sizing and thread pitch.

Yes, please do. I've already been looking into making one, and there are pre-made machined inserts that you can buy that are already threaded. Just need the sizing and thread pitch.
Better to await Porter's sizing confirmation to be on the safe side, but I'm pretty confident that it's going to be 12mm 1.5 pitch. Equally important i think, will be to also match the knob's underside cavity in terms of diameter and depth to allow for proper operation of the pull up reverse lever.

That's what I mean for the dimensional sketch... the inset for the reverse lockout ring. I think it's already understood to be a 12x1.5 thread.

@B r I a n did you already take measurements of the knob with the relief on the underside? If not I will pop mine off and use my trusty calipers, and do a dimensional ske
Porter,

That said i did not use calipers for the measurements, just a ruler with my old eyesight.

Cheesy Powerpoint sketch, but here are the numbers. 99.9% sure on the pitch of 1.5. i know it isn't 1.25

View attachment 45042
Good job and thanks for working on this. In your sketch, however, you didn't include the side lock-in grub screw, which I presume was intentional. Hopefully, that's only an additional, albeit unnecessary, securing feature of the OEM knob. Its deletion on the wood replacement knob would, of course, result in a more desirable an all-around smoother surface.

Good job and thanks for working on this. In your sketch, however, you didn't include the side lock-in grub screw, which I presume was intentional. Hopefully, that's only an additional, albeit unnecessary, securing feature of the OEM knob. Its deletion on the wood replacement knob would, of course, result in a more desirable an all-around smoother surface.

Got any information on the grub screw dimensions?

Got any information on the grub screw dimensions?
Unfortunately I don't have the spec for that grub screw, but I do seem to recall having reading somewhere that its removal was done with a 3mm allen wrench.