• The June 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 June 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Now $105k in the USA. I’m not seeing the value

I'm not sure you saw the "copy and pasta" email to multiple people on here from Lotus sent by dealers. The subject line literally said something like "copy and paste this email...blah blah blah" and the dealers left it in the subject line.
Glad someone got my joke :) and no it wasn't an autocorrect.

For $110K+ price, I don't think anything should be "overlooked". Some may accept poor quality/manufacturing , yet for my hard earned dollars a $110K+ car should be pretty close to perfect, and function that way.

Obviously Lotus is trying to appeal to a mass market, yet they will quickly go down the drain if they put cars out with too many quality issues, especially given their tiny, almost non-existent dealer network. And they will return to the micro-niche manufacturer of 500 vehicles per year that some folks prefer, along with overlooking the Lotus "Personality Traits".

I would prefer to see Lotus excel in manufacturing and sell a top quality product that provides real competition to other sports cars makers. And is desired for more than it's good looks alone. Beauty only goes so far.....
Lotus has always been way more than pretty. A 2020 Lotus EvoraGT was $109,000. It had a basic interior with an aftermarket Alpine stereo just sort of plugged in. That’s what is pissing me me off the most about the Emira right now; all the noobs. New Lotus lovers is awesome. But Lotus has never been what you think, unless you think they were something very very special and it took an equally discriminating person to appreciate.

I was introduced to Lotus in June 1990 in West Palm Bch Florida. I remember everything about that afternoon.
The Emira could have crank windows and an 8 track player for all I care.

Last edited:
Lotus has always been way more than pretty. A 2020 Lotus EvoraGT was $109,000. It had a basic interior with an aftermarket Alpine stereo just sort of plugged in. That’s what is pissing me me off the most about the Emira right now; all the noobs. New Lotus lovers is awesome. But Lotus has never been what you think, unless you think they were something very very special and it took an equally discriminating person to appreciate.

I was introduced to Lotus in June 1990 in West Palm Bch Florida. I remember everything about that afternoon.

Surely you have the capacity to recognize the majority of the market demands more from Lotus than bare bones right?

The only issue with that in my eyes is they did not delete copy and paste. I mean did people expect that every dealer would write a personal letter for every order?
Um..it seems they expected every dealer to at least change the subject line. Maybe make it more personal? Really?

OK...but even Lotus doesn't want to be old Lotus! Why do you think that is?

Last edited by a moderator:
Surely you have the capacity to recognize the majority of the market demands more from Lotus than bare bones right?
Who cares what the majority of the market wants? For $55k I can get a Ford Explorer Platinum with heated, cooled, and massage seats. Heads up display, lane assist, adaptive cruise. Those folks will say “ for $110k the thing should have a flesh light for a gear shift”.
Look at the Elise, the Excige. Bare bones all the way down. The Evora was a giant leap forward in interior in 2013. It had a cup holder and an Alpine stereo in the dash. The GT even had better seats and dash layout….sort of :)

The majority of the market isn’t a Lotus customer, and from the sound of it, I don’t think you’re going to be happy before or after the sale. Do consider a Porsche - they’re what you want 👍🏻

Who cares what the majority of the market wants? For $55k I can get a Ford Explorer Platinum with heated, cooled, and massage seats. Heads up display, lane assist, adaptive cruise. Those folks will say “ for $110k the thing should have a flesh light for a gear shift”.
Look at the Elise, the Excige. Bare bones all the way down. The Evora was a giant leap forward in interior in 2013. It had a cup holder and an Alpine stereo in the dash. The GT even had better seats and dash layout….sort of :)

The majority of the market isn’t a Lotus customer, and from the sound of it, I don’t think you’re going to be happy before or after the sale. Do consider a Porsche - they’re what you want 👍🏻
I agree. People should stop expecting Lotus to be Porsche. It will never be. The company may not be around for long, totally uncertain. And it's now focused on EVs.

Personally, I think of the Emira as a new old car. Expensive, maybe...but I don't want the competitors. I'm the legacy buyer! I think of the Emira as the last chance to own a somewhat modern Lotus of my liking. I will not be a buyer of the Eletre.

I agree. People should stop expecting Lotus to be Porsche. It will never be. The company may not be around for long, totally uncertain. And it's now focused on EVs.

Personally, I think of the Emira as a new old car. Expensive, maybe...but I don't want the competitors. I'm the legacy buyer! I think of the Emira as the last chance to own a somewhat modern Lotus of my liking. I will not be a buyer of the Eletre.
Finally!!!!!

You don’t sound like you represent the Lotus Emira market. Maybe the Lotus market of the past, the old dying company.

Then you are not representative of the market that Lotus is going after.......
For their long term electric user….probably not. For an ICE vehicle like the Emira or even a still new Evora GT ….abso-friggin-luty I am. Gear, swag, too.

You don’t sound like you represent the Lotus Emira market. Maybe the Lotus market of the past, the old dying company.
Show me a time when Lotus wasn’t on the edge of a cliff. Lotus was on an episode of Can’t Pay, We’ll Take it Away. Got a god damn F1 repossessed. (Control in place for this one actually but same thing)

Last edited:
It's kind of dead already if you think I about it. SUVs and EVs going forward. We are just getting the scraps of the old DNA. The target market is different , even @TomE said many of us are called the "legacy buyers". The new buyers will want plush interiors, comfort and EVs apparently.

It's kind of dead already if you think I about it. SUVs and EVs going forward. We are just getting the scraps of the old DNA. The target market is different , even @TomE said many of us are called the "legacy buyers". The new buyers will want plush interiors, comfort and EVs apparently.
Good, Lotus will bring the heat in EV. I won’t appreciate it, but they will rip the road from the earth.

Enjoy your car. Your dealer is going to get to know you very well I suspect.
You don’t actually know anything about me, you assumed I care a lot about those things. The dealer will likely only ever see my car for recalls.

I don’t actually care about many of those luxuries items in my car and dealer services. The first thing I did was gather the service notes and identify where my pain points would be for decades long ownership in my garage.

We probably similarly want a lot of the things but where we differ is I can empathize with people who want a good value and a competitive vehicle for the money they are paying. $105K isn’t an insignificant sum.

Last edited:
I went to an open house event, last year by HRE Wheels. Now, I've been to many company open houses, but this one had 10X the number of attendees. Why? Because it was also like a cars and coffee event. None of the attendees were there to look at the latest EVs and SUVs, they were there for the badass sportscars. There is a passion for them that will never die. The quietest car there was a BMW i8. Everything was loud and a lot more fun than any 5000 lb EV on a curvy road.

You don’t actually know anything about me, you assumed I care a lot about those things.

I don’t actually care about many of those luxuries items in my car and dealer services. The first thing I did was gather the service notes and identify where my pain points would be for decades long ownership in my garage.

We probably similarly want a lot of the things but where we differ is I can empathize with people who want a good value and a competitive vehicle for the money they are paying. $105K isn’t an insignificant sum.
It’s not and that’s my point. It is the same price as the Evora GT. An absolutely Fantastic automobile and an excellent buy. The buyer of this car at this price point must be responsible for some due diligence. Im an Evora customer that got pushed into an Emira when I was searching for a CPO. 2yr old GT low miles. They were the same price as the new Emira (as advertised anyway). So screw it. I’m in for new.

I went to an open house event, last year by HRE Wheels. Now, I've been to many company open houses, but this one had 10X the number of attendees. Why? Because it was also like a cars and coffee event. None of the attendees were there to look at the latest EVs and SUVs, they were there for the badass sportscars. There is a passion for them that will never die. The quietest car there was a BMW i8. Everything was loud and a lot more fun than any 5000 lb EV on a curvy road.
The i8. Is that the one with the speakers for the exhaust sounds and you can select how cool you want to be? It’s a good looking ride TBH but the speakers man come on now