• The June 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 June 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira V6 FE UK Build Slots

Those that have paid the second deposit have the funds come out of your account yet? I paid mine a few weeks back but have noticed the funds are still in my account. I have a confirmation email from lotus so not sure if this will just come out on the 5th?
I can confirm both my deposits have cleared.

Those that have paid the second deposit have the funds come out of your account yet? I paid mine a few weeks back but have noticed the funds are still in my account. I have a confirmation email from lotus so not sure if this will just come out on the 5th?
Same thing happened with my first deposit, got the confirmation but funds didn’t leave my account. Only noticed when Lotus called me a few weeks later. Seems their payment system isn’t bulletproof. They are making a shit hot car though so I forgive them.

Reactions: Pav
Yes I had same issue with first deposit too, had to contact them and redo the payment as it didn't go through first time. They soon sorted it though

I believe non-UK cars will start to be delivered 1-2 months after the start of UK deliveries. Timing will depend on how your dealer is batching their orders and how Lotus batch the shipping. But a reasonable starting point for you with a similar deposit date would be June/July delivery based on what Yachtie was told by Lotus.
I made my deposit sight unseen/prior to the global car launch in late June. I’m based in Australia and have been advised July 2022 delivery.

Looking at Harry Metcalfe's instagram post, he comments "The Emira order book is overflowing too with nearly 2 years of production already sold."

Is this true? So if someone in the UK wanted to put a deposit down now they'd be faced with a c. 2-year waiting list?

Not strictly true, they have deposits equivalent to 2 years production but that’s deposits not committed orders.

It assumes no further cancellations. Bear in mind even V6 FE deposits are still refundable until January, and you have to assume some dropping out. Of the other deposits, how many will continue once they know own spec pricing? Hard to say.

It also assumes only a single shift, but that may ramp up given the demand.

But yes, in theory a UK deposit today could be a long wait.

I was told by one of the Lotus guys at the roadshow that they are cautious about balancing supply and demand over the longer term. He cited the example of Aston and McLaren who had made the mistake of producing too many cars. Obviously this could be a risk for Lotus if they ramp up production too much to meet the initial spike of interest in the car after the launch. So, it will be interesting to see if a second shift happens - it would be a big commitment effectively doubling the production workforce.

I was told by one of the Lotus guys at the roadshow that they are cautious about balancing supply and demand over the longer term. He cited the example of Aston and McLaren who had made the mistake of producing too many cars. Obviously this could be a risk for Lotus if they ramp up production too much to meet the initial spike of interest in the car after the launch. So, it will be interesting to see if a second shift happens - it would be a big commitment effectively doubling the production workforce.
Great that they are even talking about that. Certainly worth weighing up what's best for the brand as a whole.

I had exactly the same conversation with someone from Lotus at the B&C roadshow. Impact on residuals of flooding the market and also having to both scale up production with new workers while maintaining quality and then potentially having to scale back and reduce staffing were both mentioned. Obviously they don't want people pulling their deposits, so it's a balancing act. 1.5 shifts were mentioned as an option under discussion, with it sounding like there was some resistance to double shifts.

Totally agree, why increase your costs and burn through your order book too quickly? Should they put on a second shift?

For:
You sweat the physical assets (factory) harder and increase your gross margin.
You avoid losing potential buyers by keeping the wait time acceptable.
If the road tests go well then demand may rise even further and stay strong.

Against:
May affect residuals if supply exceeds demand.
Will demand remain strong after the initial peak - unknown at present
Rarity = desirability and adds to how smug we all feel once we've got ours! 🤣

Reactions: Pav
I agree, they’re going to be cautious.

Another Against: you have to find and train another shift-worth of people when you’re already hiring at the fastest rate in the company’s history in a difficult labour market

Another Against: you have to find and train another shift-worth of people when you’re already hiring at the fastest rate in the company’s history in a difficult labour market
Yep, that's a big factor too Tom, with implications for quality.

Yup and if you force some of your existing workforce into shift work/extended hours you risk losing them to more convivial roles elsewhere...