• The June 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 June 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

260 miles and it wont start - any ideas

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I was looking forward to posting a glowing report but alas this comes first.
I collected my Auto from the factory yesterday. Drove 4 hours home with no issues. Sounds like its an electric motor its so smooth. No bangs rattles or squeaks at all.
Been out in it several times and we are up to 260 miles.
Was intending taking the wife out this evening for a quick spin (first time for her) but alas....
Car started fine. Selected sport then track mode. Went to set off whilst releasing the park brake and it stalled almost as soon as it started moving.
It now will turn over fine but wont start. Half a tank of fuel (Hethel's finest tank full still - it was doing about 30mpg). No smells or leaks.
I disconnected the battery for a few seconds. That made no difference. Did full reset on the inboard screen and still no joy.
Its now sat with the battery disconnected and I'll give it 30mins this time.
Its almost like its not getting any fuel. Cant smell anything from the zausts but I'm not sure if you can on these new fangled motors.
Any ideas as I dont recall anything similar said on here before.
Next job is to ring the assistance number....

The only situation in which I had the same symptom was when I ran out of fuel on the Autobahn. Maybe the fuel level sensor is broken. Maybe gry adding a few liters fuel anyways before escalating?

Interesting idea thank you. It is parked at a bit of a strange angle on a slope but is indicating half a tank???
I have a stash of super unleaded so I will try now... standby
PS no engine management light either.....

If you’ve done 260 miles then the fuel tank is empty . I’ve noticed on mine that it takes ages to calculate .

When I ran completely out of fuel, the indicated range was still 20km - and I filled in 60 liter of gas afterwards (tank capacity according to manual is 58 liter)

260 miles should be less than quarter of a tank left. If you’re parked on a slope that could mean limited pickup. Try adding some fuel.

Then have someone listen in the engine bay with the hatch up when you turn the ignition on and check if the fuel pump is priming.

Sirs you are all heros.
I said to the wife it sounds like its out of fuel but indicating loads left.
15l of super added and we are back in business. I feel a bit of a nob but I dont care its running yippee!!!
Never in all my motoring life have I seen this but I suppose i did guess right it wasn't getting fuel
Thank you all again. I will do a write up asap. Had a great handover with Sam and Scott.
Just been for a test run and all is well other than the EML is still on so I'll zap it with the code reader in the morning.
cheers guys

Glad to hear you got it sorted.

It’s easily done. I parked my Elise on a slope in a remote countryside car park with a quarter tank and it won’t start. I at least had the clue of the fuel gauge showing empty. I bumped it out on to level ground using the starter motor.

Glad to hear you got it sorted.

It’s easily done. I parked my Elise on a slope in a remote countryside car park with a quarter tank and it won’t start. I at least had the clue of the fuel gauge showing empty. I bumped it out on to level ground using the starter motor.
not so easy in an auto....
I'm sure there will be a disengage button but with no proper handbrake either it will be a call to the AA for more fuel 🤡 (y)

Y'all are amazing.

Guess I’ll have to be the American in the room and say it……”I know what’s wrong with it, ain’t got no gas in it”