• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Wont start

EyeFour Eemeerah!

Emira Fan
Reaction score
No. In essence, since you bailed out, you shouldn't be in here complaining about anything. To me, it looks like you're just in here hoping there are still problems, so you can feel better about yourself for cancelling. There's a few of you that do this.

It's a brand new car being built in a brand new facility, using a brand new manufacturing system Lotus has never used before. Not surprising that there are teething issues. And on top of all that, they had a global pandemic and all those issues added to their plate. Lotus is now building thousands of these, and we've seen the numbers of problems being reported steadily diminish as they get on top of them and get them sorted out. It's rough for those who have to go through the teething issues, but by all accounts, once the car is sorted it's a really good car. It says something when reviewers are ordering them for themselves.

I get that you're not the pioneer type. Enjoy whatever else you bought, and don't worry; you won't have to suffer with an Emira.
Actually my dear, my having laid out a deposit for a year and a half, and watching the ensuing stillbirth to come, has afforded me the right to be here. I truly wish things had gone differently, and I should have been in one a long time ago. Back when the Elise first came out, I wish I had bought one then, but alas I did not. What you call “teething issues”, I see a company that can’t get their shit together. Car companies develop new cars all the time without these issues. Oh that’s right…it’s British! “Handmade”! Forgot about that! For a company that has been around this long and produced cars in the past, (albeit poorly according to you, with issues that only a mechanically inclined owner can tolerate) one would have thought they can do this by now. Do I feel bad for them? Absolutely not. Darwins theory would have them belly up.
Nah. I‘ll be here for a while, firstly to see how the shitshow unfolds in the U.S., when there’s insufficient infrastructure to maintain and rehabilitate these. The ”dealership network” they are expanding, are simply paper cutout storefronts, meant to display an aging model or two to lure in potential customers and take their deposits. Kind of like North Korean propaganda! Secondly, although you refer to me as one of them, I am still a potential customer even after all this. If they smooth things out, establish a true working network of service centers within their dealerships, overthrow their/your beloved leader, and do a massive about face in their customer service and business practices, I may just end up picking one up. Discounted of course.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Actually my dear, my having laid out a deposit for a year and a half, and watching the ensuing stillbirth to come, has afforded me the right to be here. I truly wish things had gone differently, and I should have been in one a long time ago. Back when the Elise first came out, I wish I had bought one then, but alas I did not. What you call “teething issues”, I see a company that can’t get their shit together. Car companies develop new cars all the time without these issues. Oh that’s right…it’s British! “Handmade”! Forgot about that! For a company that has been around this long and produced cars in the past, (albeit poorly according to you, with issues that only a mechanically inclined owner can tolerate) one would have thought they can do this by now. Do I feel bad for them? Absolutely not. Darwins theory would have them belly up.
Nah. I‘ll be here for a while, firstly to see how the shitshow unfolds in the U.S., when there’s insufficient infrastructure to maintain and rehabilitate these. The ”dealership network” they are expanding, are simply paper cutout storefronts, meant to display an aging model or two to lure in potential customers and take their deposits. Kind of like North Korean propaganda! Secondly, although you refer to me as one of them, I am still a potential customer even after all this. If they smooth things out, establish a true working network of service centers within their dealerships, overthrow their/your beloved leader, and do a massive about face in their customer service and business practices, I may just end up picking one up. Discounted of course.
HAHAHAHAHaaaa... I didn't know you did stand-up!? Got any more?

OP
S
Reaction score
What still baffles me is fundamentally its still an evora underneath. Tweaked chassis, the same engine used extensively in the evora and exige, same gearbox, presumably the same core ecu etc etc. its got a wrapper inside and out that looks incredible which got my attention in a way the evora never has. But some different shapes of GRP and some nicer alcantara and stitching doesnt usually break the fundamentals…

Cutting42

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
What still baffles me is fundamentally its still an evora underneath. Tweaked chassis, the same engine used extensively in the evora and exige, same gearbox, presumably the same core ecu etc etc. its got a wrapper inside and out that looks incredible which got my attention in a way the evora never has. But some different shapes of GRP and some nicer alcantara and stitching doesnt usually break the fundamentals…

Well clearly it isn't a tweaked Evora. It is a brand new car with brand new electrical system, new interior, utterly different exterior, new seats, different ancillaries and tested to different legislation. Just because it has a modded version of an Evora chassis and a version of an engine they have used before does not make it the same as other cars that used the chassis in a different form or a Toyota Camry.

Iamjameelg

Reaction score
Has anyone had a problem where the car wont start but will if you get out lock it unlock it and get back in

Symptoms:
- unlock
- open door
- close door
- press start
- fuel pump starts
- nothing else

Lock and unlock whilst in car using remote makes no difference

Get out lock and unlock starts fine

Happened three times in the past week

(Yes i have a dealer fitted “lotus” scorpion tracker )
This happened to me today. Day two of emira ownership

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This happened to me today. Day two of emira ownership
From reading about electrical symptoms in another thread, try checking both the positive and negative terminals of the battery to make sure they're correctly seated and connected. For this one owner, it was the positive terminal connector that wasn't properly connected.

seriously

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Well clearly it isn't a tweaked Evora. It is a brand new car with brand new electrical system, new interior, utterly different exterior, new seats, different ancillaries and tested to different legislation. Just because it has a modded version of an Evora chassis and a version of an engine they have used before does not make it the same as other cars that used the chassis in a different form or a Toyota Camry.
It seems the drivetrain and chassis is fundamentally evora, but you’re right. Everything else changed - Most importantly, all new electronics! Ironically they got the major things right, but they missed some simple things like literally testing the damn car when it rains or living with it for a few months to find out sometimes it doesn’t like to start, etc. etc. Yes, we give them a pass for being Lotus, but this really feels like something that is easily solvable by investing in more pre-release testing. I have to imagine budget constraints lead to lower than average testing. I mean even Ferrari and other exotic car manufacturers seem to have figured it out For the most part.