Why no LSD on the Auto version?

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Can anybody tell me why only the manual cars get the LSD (same as with the Evora)? And would you consider this as a problem if you want to have fun with your Auto Emira on road and track?

Good question, I'd like to know it too...

For the DCT AMG unit, there isn’t one developed specifically for it yet but there is a brake based differential software for it, seems easier to just implement that since it comes at no cost.

For the IPS, probably just time and cost. I’m guessing it’s cheap and easy to add to the MT but expensive and laborious to add to the AT. There are options to add to the AT as an aftermarket.

That all being said, the torsen in the MT has plenty of drawbacks and most people would pick a clutch based LSD if they cared at all.

For the DCT AMG unit, there isn’t one developed specifically for it yet but there is a brake based differential software for it, seems easier to just implement that since it comes at no cost.

For the IPS, probably just time and cost. I’m guessing it’s cheap and easy to add to the MT but expensive and laborious to add to the AT. There are options to add to the AT as an aftermarket.

That all being said, the torsen in the MT has plenty of drawbacks and most people would pick a clutch based LSD if they cared at all.
Speacking of aftermarket options, Ithey seems to be quite straight forward: buy, install, enjoy! I don't understand why Lotus dosen't offer it at least as an option. Not only on the Emira but they didn't on the Evora too

On another note I've never driven one properly, maybe they reckon it could make the handling worst (which I doubt, I had an M3 E92 and you could really feel and enjoy the rear LSD) and they deliberately avoid that option, but I haven't got any experience

I just thought about what I said and I’d pass on a clutch based lsd based on what @Porter mentioned — constraints. Maintaining a clutch based LSD means engine out procedure likely.

It may also be a cost issue. Different diff design might require a more expensive LSD in the IPS than the 6MT version. With the auto already more expensive, it may have killed the option through simple price disparity. Difficult to make "LSD" a cost option if the cost varies too significantly between versions for it to be a single-price checkbox on the order form.

I'm sorry, I'm not very much a technical guy plus I might have some difficulties in understanding the language but....

if quaife can do it at a reasonal price (here for the auto version: https://shop.quaife.co.uk/shop/atb-differentials/quaife-lotus-evora-auto-atb-differential/) why can't lotus give it as an option?

Looks like it's feasible, not too expensive.... they can buy it from quaife directly with a good deal given the numbers and give it as an option adding a mark up price for customers.

The only reason that come to my mind is that, maybe, lotus dosen't want to give that type of drivability to its cars for whatever reason

Edit: PS which is what Komo-tec does https://www.komo-tec.com/en/lotus-e...or-exige-s-v6/evora/emira-ips-automatik-u660e

Last edited:
I mean, that's not "cheap" by component supplier standards. There could also be a volume supply / parts availability challenge.

I mean, that's not "cheap" by component supplier standards. There could also be a volume supply / parts availability challenge.
But quaife already supplies brands like ford for the Fiesta ST, it shouldn't be a problem for Lotus numbers I guess

My Evora GT, because it's an automatic, also does not have a LSD. Even during really spirited driving, I never felt like it needed one. It just sticks (cup2's) and goes. There is a lot of grip already, and Emira supposedly has even more.

IMO, unless you are sliding your car around, you may never notice that it's not there.