Who's driven a MT Aston Martin Vantage? Looking for feedback.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
How's that 7-speed dogbox transmission in the newer V8 Vantages? Asking for a friend... who may be tired of waiting for his Emira... (and who may also be me). 😁

Screenshot_20221119_082710.jpg

Those are def dropping in price now especially after the 2023 design refresh.

Drove the auto yesterday and loved it… and I dislike autos

Had the old shape manual and also loved it

Not driven the new shape manual but @Sizona has

Drove the auto yesterday and loved it… and I dislike autos

Had the old shape manual and also loved it

Not driven the new shape manual but @Sizona has

I might have to go test drive one. I spotted a gorgeous dark red one on the road last night. The dealer I have my Emira order in with also sells Astons.... 🤔

The power delivery just blew me away. So much more raucous than the previous model.

I think not too dissimilar power weight ratio to emira but it’s feels waaay more powerful

For me, it's an absolute beauty of a car. Definitely up their with looks of the emira. (I know, I'm feeling brave😬)
But must be a very different drive surely? I drove a 2008 version (so yes, old), but it didn't feel like it was even meant to compete with this type of car.
Big long bonnet, sitting behind the motion all the time. not an alternative in my mind, unless they drive experience has altered drastically.
But again... Those looks😊😊😊

The new one is ballistic compared to the old and much more alive

Agree still more of a gt though

Well that reads a much closer comparison than I would have thought.
I haven't driven the newer one, but the old vantage compared to the emira when I did the LDA was a completely different animal. And I wayyyy preferred the drive of the emira. But then you'd like to think so with 14 years difference in them!

Well that reads a much closer comparison than I would have thought.
I haven't driven the newer one, but the old vantage compared to the emira when I did the LDA was a completely different animal. And I wayyyy preferred the drive of the emira. But then you'd like to think so with 14 years difference in them!

I have zero experience with AM. How is their reliability, customer service, and comms in general? On par with Lotus (decent reliability but long waits for parts and terrible comms)?

I bailed on the Vantage when they introduced the new version. Looks being subjective, I thought the giant mouth was a fail, squinty head lights a fail, and the interior didn't inspire either. The huge mouth in mesh form has grown on me since so many other manufacturers do something similar now, but the slatted version now ironically looks to be "drooping"... like the car has a "DUHHHHH" expression all the time :p . Again, completely subjective. Aston for me brought beautiful to the party, never the fastest, or the best handling, or the most reliable... but definitely the prettiest. Once that was gone, I jumped to a 911.

I had a 2014 Vantage S with a 6 speed manual, so can't speak to the 7 speed dogleg. The 6 speed manual shifter feel was good, not great. A bit rubbery, and reverse was an adventure. VERY finicky to engage. The old Vantage drove well, but definitely more of a cruiser than the Emira. Having said that, for folks like myself that intend to use the Emira in a similar fashion to what I used the Vantage for, its a moot point.

Reliability wise, they had minor issues. Nothing major, but annoying things like tail lights that would take on water... a known issues since the 2007 model year, that Aston refused to resolve, and would charge owners to fix outside of warranty... My solid silver (centenary edition) enamel badges started to discolor and flake within 4 years, and it was a fight with Aston to fix it, things like that. Premature seat wear on a car with 8000 miles...

Newer Vantages may not suffer from any minor things like that, probably better checking an Aston forum for known little issues. But customer service at the dealer was fantastic. And Aston events at Monterey Car Week were also really cool... you definitely get some of that stuff in the $$ of admission.

I have zero experience with AM. How is their reliability, customer service, and comms in general? On par with Lotus (decent reliability but long waits for parts and terrible comms)?

My old shape vantage was bullet proof.

Couple of extended warranty issues fixed quickly and without quibble

Servicing around 2k average over 7 years of ownership. Often only 1k but once it was 5 when I needed suspension and brakes (not main dealer)

New cars come with .5 years free servicing.

My 4 yr old car lost 20k in value over 7 years but I sold at the bottom of the market

I’d say inc depreciation it cost me 5k per year. One of the cheapest decent cars I’ve owned ! Of course the new model costs 1/3 more to buy…

I bailed on the Vantage when they introduced the new version. Looks being subjective, I thought the giant mouth was a fail, squinty head lights a fail, and the interior didn't inspire either. The huge mouth in mesh form has grown on me since so many other manufacturers do something similar now, but the slatted version now ironically looks to be "drooping"... like the car has a "DUHHHHH" expression all the time :p . Again, completely subjective. Aston for me brought beautiful to the party, never the fastest, or the best handling, or the most reliable... but definitely the prettiest. Once that was gone, I jumped to a 911.

I had a 2014 Vantage S with a 6 speed manual, so can't speak to the 7 speed dogleg. The 6 speed manual shifter feel was good, not great. A bit rubbery, and reverse was an adventure. VERY finicky to engage. The old Vantage drove well, but definitely more of a cruiser than the Emira. Having said that, for folks like myself that intend to use the Emira in a similar fashion to what I used the Vantage for, its a moot point.

Reliability wise, they had minor issues. Nothing major, but annoying things like tail lights that would take on water... a known issues since the 2007 model year, that Aston refused to resolve, and would charge owners to fix outside of warranty... My solid silver (centenary edition) enamel badges started to discolor and flake within 4 years, and it was a fight with Aston to fix it, things like that. Premature seat wear on a car with 8000 miles...

Newer Vantages may not suffer from any minor things like that, probably better checking an Aston forum for known little issues. But customer service at the dealer was fantastic. And Aston events at Monterey Car Week were also really cool... you definitely get some of that stuff in the $$ of admission.

Appreciate the real world feedback! I like the big grill personally, but the headlights are a little small. Overall it's still a beautiful car! I'll see if I can get behind the wheel of one and report back with my own opinion.

Back