• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: šŸ† May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

What's the appeal? (Emira and Porsche)

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

Magma

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Theyre lovely and have aged well, was only thinking that the other day watching Becky Evans in hers on YT, but it's still just not a phrase I'd associate with any porsche, maybe a 356 speedster šŸ¤”
356 Speedster for sure!

I guess that's why art is subjective huh? Someone can throw Colgate on a canvas and call it art and it'll sell for millions. To me and you, it's just toothpaste on a board. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
*** Legal Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with any toothpaste brand. šŸ˜‰šŸ¤£

Corkdsp

Reaction score
I currently drive 2015 981 Cayman Sā€¦ has been a wonderful car these past 8 years as my daily driver:

Emira was announced and seemed to check all the boxes of what I wanted (price/value, manual, steering feel, looks) I put a deposit down instantly and was super excited.

After 1.5 years Waiting on Lotusā€¦ I started looking at 911ā€™s and then the 911 T was announced recently. It also checks most of the boxes for me. Put deposit down day announced with local dealer got allocation this month with delivery scheduled for June 2023.

communication from Porsche past 2 months much better than Lotus over past 1.5 years. My overall impression Porsche professional organization - Lotus amateur.

being my only carā€¦ daily driving the Porsche is just the better choiceā€¦ if Emira was my second car I would be more forgiving and open to it. I wish both brands success and I may come back to Lotus some day if they have a manual available.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The 904 is crude?

Uh, I would disagree with that, and so would Gordon Murray.

I didn't say it was crude, I said it was almost crude looking compared to the refined image of a car like the Emira.

Look at these two images and tell me you don't see an improvement in the lines, construction, body shape, etc.

904front-low_res-scale-2_00x-gigapixel.jpg

301881347_179585517926594_7584012396119575967_n copy.jpeg

695 to Emira

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I currently drive 2015 981 Cayman Sā€¦ has been a wonderful car these past 8 years as my daily driver:

Emira was announced and seemed to check all the boxes of what I wanted (price/value, manual, steering feel, looks) I put a deposit down instantly and was super excited.

After 1.5 years Waiting on Lotusā€¦ I started looking at 911ā€™s and then the 911 T was announced recently. It also checks most of the boxes for me. Put deposit down day announced with local dealer got allocation this month with delivery scheduled for June 2023.

communication from Porsche past 2 months much better than Lotus over past 1.5 years. My overall impression Porsche professional organization - Lotus amateur.

being my only carā€¦ daily driving the Porsche is just the better choiceā€¦ if Emira was my second car I would be more forgiving and open to it. I wish both brands success and I may come back to Lotus some day if they have a manual available.
I have a similar conundrum although I only recently deposited on the T. The Forever Car thread here adds fuel to the fire. I may end up in the odd position of cancelling and earlier Emira in the hope of a late T before that are sold out.

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
The PDK 911 T will do 0-60 in 3.8 sec the Cayman S 4.3 second and sounds like a lawn mower.

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
But it's also substantially more than a non lawn mower 4.0gts and is less powerful.

This forum is full of people berating the emira for its 400bhp for 80k šŸ¤·šŸ»
Ive owned a 992s cayman 718s and been lucky enough to spend a fair bit of time in an Emira, my view is if you can afford the extra money and your looking for a long term keeper go for the 911 T you won't be disappointed. If you want to turn heads and want a brilliant weekend toy then its the Emira i'm still not convinced its a daily driver but saying that i've only tried the sports suspension set up and not the V6 auto touring i'm hanging on in there for.

Climber

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I didn't say it was crude, I said it was almost crude looking compared to the refined image of a car like the Emira.

Look at these two images and tell me you don't see an improvement in the lines, construction, body shape, etc.

View attachment 20717
View attachment 20718
There has been over 50 years of evolutionary development in automotive industry. Taken in context the porsche is incredible not comparison.

Climber

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I'd like to share a quick thought. And reading multiple posts, I feel Like I'm at a Marvel convention with DC fans stopping in. Clearly, there are Porsche lovers here, comparing the Emira sometimes negatively in many aspects.

What's the appeal in considering a niche vehicle like the Emira when your heart belongs with Porsche? Clearly, we are fans on both sides, but not sure why make the crossover if you find the new Emira disappointing?
To your original question the cayman and Emira are so close in specifications thatā€™s itā€™s impossible that the are not being cross shopped. What sets them apart?
Porscheā€™s are reliable, well put together, and the benchmark by which most cars are measured. On the downside the lack sensual appeal. They are know Commodities. You know what your getting, porsche sellā€™s over 20,000 caymanā€™s.
Lotus beings by being the rare exotic, know for amazing handling and enjoyable engaging drives. Matching the Porscheā€™s capabilities, if not exceeding them in some areas. Reliability and build quality maybe a little less ( this is unknown, the drive train should match the Porsche with different feel ). The Emir name means leader. Emira is the feminine counterpart. Sensual Servatius attractive alluring magnetic dangerous forbidden.
When you park your New Emira next to a new Porsche, the owner will be faced with a problem never in countered with Porsche, Wow I could have purchased that? Because of the difficult irse in getting an Emira the exclusivity will only increase.
FYI I own Porscheā€™s a Boxster, Boxster GTS, 911 targa & a Mcan. The lotus will be the most attractive desirable by a country mile. These are all my opinions. I will still enjoy each for what they are amazing machines just different.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
There has been over 50 years of evolutionary development in automotive industry. Taken in context the porsche is incredible not comparison.
Speaking of context, maybe I need to repost my original post which seems to have been completely ignored in the quest to defend an attack on the 904 that didn't happen.

Here's what I said:
Screen Shot 2022-12-28 at 12.38.56 PM.png

Take note how I said the "904 was considered quite the exotic car" which it was. I merely pointed out that in fact there has been a great deal of evolution, which enables manufacturers to make cars today like the Emira, which just wouldn't have been possible back then. The 904 WAS incredible.

Last edited:

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Not sure there's many porsches I'd ever refer to as a work of art šŸ¤”

I've just sold my gt4, my 15th porsche, and they're brilliant cars in many ways but work of art has never popped into my head for any of them. It is a phrase I've used for the Emira styling though (and the v8 in my last ferrari)
the boxster T is when fully decked out with guards red everything. stunning. GT4 was probably boring build plain.

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
the boxster T is when fully decked out with guards red everything. stunning. GT4 was probably boring build plain.
Nope saphire blue, carbon buckets, extended leather with contrast red stitching and door pulls, red seat belts, carbin interior trim. Good looking car but not a work of art, I once optioned a boxster S with Ā£20k of spec, pts and special order leather, still wouldn't refer to it as a work of art

Attachments

• 20220208_155349.jpg
    20220208_155349.jpg
    537 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20220131-172827_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220131-172827_Samsung Internet.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot_20220131-172850_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220131-172850_Samsung Internet.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 59

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Nope saphire blue, carbon buckets, extended leather with contrast red stitching and door pulls, red seat belts, carbin interior trim. Good looking car but not a work of art, I once optioned a boxster S with Ā£20k of spec, pts and special order leather, still wouldn't refer to it as a work of art
I will take a video of my car this weekend. It came together differently than yours. You'll see. it is unified from bumper to bumper.