Warranty/Service Parts during Shortage?

SmallerBaller

Emira Fan
Reaction score
We all know about the delays to the production/ delivery of the Emiras and everyone is very anxious to have more solid timeframes, but has anyone heard of a plan at Lotus for when vehicles actually need parts AFTER delivery? Maybe they always have a certain percentage on standby to send to dealers, in case?

I can't imagine when they are struggling to get cars out the door they would be willing to dedicate their parts (depending on what they are) to vehicles that need fixed, under warranty or otherwise. For most of us this will be a 1st or 2nd production year vehicle, and new vehicles always have kinks. I don't want to wait a year and a half, finally get the car delivered, and then have it sit at the dealer for another year right after because there are no parts available/ no plan for this ahead of time.

Anyone heard anything on this?

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Lotus is a low volume manufacturer and the parts distribution network / volumes / availability will always reflect that.

Perhaps some of us here who have had repairs done to existing Lotus vehicles can comment as to what their prior experience has been.

Parts availability for the Emira will be good moving forward (compared to out of production models) as they're still being made for quite some time, but it may take many months for them to arrive and this may be compounded by lock-downs and shortages (no different to other manufacturers).

You need to assume that Lotus is like any other exotic low-volume manufacturer on this front. If you crash it and it needs repairs, then be prepared to have it off the road for 6-9 months (or more!).

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
But things like oil filters will be standard Toyota parts, right?

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
But things like oil filters will be standard Toyota parts, right?
Yes they are standard Toyota parts for the V6 engine (e.g. oil filter). The air filter is likely custom though because of a different airbox. Not sure if it will be the same as the Evora airfilter.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Lotus is a low volume manufacturer and the parts distribution network / volumes / availability will always reflect that.

Perhaps some of us here who have had repairs done to existing Lotus vehicles can comment as to what their prior experience has been.

Parts availability for the Emira will be good moving forward (compared to out of production models) as they're still being made for quite some time, but it may take many months for them to arrive and this may be compounded by lock-downs and shortages (no different to other manufacturers).

You need to assume that Lotus is like any other exotic low-volume manufacturer on this front. If you crash it and it needs repairs, then be prepared to have it off the road for 6-9 months (or more!).

I have to take issue here I am afraid. I fully understand your point, but I dont believe its the case, or rather its not a good excuse for them. Having had cars from far far far smaller / lower volume car makers, a Westfield *about 200 cars a year and an ariel Nomad *about 50 of them a year, this is not my experience at all I have to say, quite the opposite in fact! Its true TVR maybe a bit of a joke right now, but they dont really exist, at least they have no finished factory and dont make cars, but as for the other UK small manufacturers, I think they do an excellent job in general and I would not class Lotus in the same league, in terms of quality and communications etc as Ariel. With Ariel I could call and speak to whom I need to and get an accurate answer on delivery, technical things, anything really.

So for me, any future parts issues/ planning is nothing to do with the size of Lotus IMO, its to do with either the pandemic, poor or no planning or a purchasing department that takes its lessons from the previous QC department. Lotus know how many cars they were going to make before the current issues, they know how many spare parts they need to service these cars, they have done this for many many years, so there will be no excuse for them and certainly not just as they will at some point only make 7000 cars a year.

For my Ariel Nomad, a whole pedal assembly was sent to me the next day off the shelf, in fact they knew the exact batch number of my broken one and knew others had similar issues and hence had already changed supplier since then. For my Westfield, a fan, radiator, intercooler and thermostat were again sent immediately and again they knew of the issue and were excellent in resolving it for me (they are now in receivership it seems...... they were trying to get a car homologated for the EU market, but this had been going on for about 3 - 4 years without success... by coincidence, the same as the Atom 4... likewise, no success yet)

I personally would expect Lotus to keep a stock of common items and in fact the dealers should do the same. If there is an accident and then yes some far less common parts may be required, but 6-9 months? If my car was off the road for anywhere near that time due to Lotus's bad planning on parts, I would never purchase one again and people would know about it too.
Lotus do not need to be so "greedy" so as to make 500 cars and not keep 1 entire cars parts aside for incidents and I am sure they wont, and again, the more common items they will keep far more of and this should be their practise right from the start, even with orders further down the line being delayed.
We shall see... but I am sure they will do this!!!! If not, they will have lots of trouble....

Last edited:

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Regular consumables and common replacement parts are being sourced by Lotus Aftersales. This is being done in parallel with but separate from the procurement for production.

I suspect less common parts, for example for repairing a major crash, are likely to be in short supply in the first 6 months. That was sometimes also true with Lotus pre-Covid, with stories of people at times waiting 3-6 months for replacement Elise clams.

We have to bear in mind there are parts supply issues everywhere. My local McLaren service centre has half a dozen cars parked up waiting for parts. A local garage can’t source some brake discs and even tyres in some popular sizes are on back order with no ETA.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
[snip]

I personally would expect Lotus to keep a stock of common items and in fact the dealers should do the same. If there is an accident and then yes some far less common parts may be required, but 6-9 months? If my car was off the road for anywhere near that time due to Lotus's bad planning on parts, I would never purchase one again and people would know about it too.
Lotus do not need to be so "greedy" so as to make 500 cars and not keep 1 entire cars parts aside for incidents and I am sure they wont, and again, the more common items they will keep far more of and this should be their practise right from the start, even with orders further down the line being delayed.
We shall see... but I am sure they will do this!!!! If not, they will have lots of trouble....
In relation to common items I'm totally with you and don't see an issue. The servicing dealers have a reasonable inventory of common parts (e.g. my local dealer has spare windscreens, tyres, and other common service items in stock and regularly re-order them from the UK in advance). Its up to local dealers to have this stock - Lotus don't have global warehouses in each region.

My comments regarding timeframe was for a major accident scenario not common service items. I think those timeframes are not unusual, even for an Ariel after a major prang.

This is related to the Evora but just to re-iterate the expectation:

I would expect some of these issues will get better with the Emira and a larger dealer network over time.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
In relation to common items I'm totally with you and don't see an issue. The servicing dealers have a reasonable inventory of common parts (e.g. my local dealer has spare windscreens, tyres, and other common service items in stock and regularly re-order them from the UK in advance). Its up to local dealers to have this stock - Lotus don't have global warehouses in each region.

My comments regarding timeframe was for a major accident scenario not common service items. I think those timeframes are not unusual, even for an Ariel after a major prang.

This is related to the Evora but just to re-iterate the expectation:

I would expect some of these issues will get better with the Emira and a larger dealer network over time.
yes thats true, with ariel being of tubular construction, they would need to probably re-weld the space frame and in effect have to take the whole car apart, which could take time and most insurance companies probably dont have an atom or nomad as a courtesy car haha
An aside point, if parts didnt exist or time frames got so great..I wonder would they write the car off... THey cant leave you for a year or two without a car ;).

I can also say I had a Honda e recently and it needed a sill if thats what you would call it and that was 8 weeks back order as its probably their lowest selling car in the EU / UK

Maurice R

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I believe we are all in the same boat with regard to parts especially after a prang
Wife had an accident in her Alpha Stelvio a month ago. Been told by Alpha that certain parts have been on back order for 3 months and no idea when they will have them. Was told via email yesterday from Alpha USA hopefully in next 3 to 4 months
Sucks but no shouting screaming being pissed off will help get car repaired sooner
So just have to grin and bare it.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I believe we are all in the same boat with regard to parts especially after a prang
Wife had an accident in her Alpha Stelvio a month ago. Been told by Alpha that certain parts have been on back order for 3 months and no idea when they will have them. Was told via email yesterday from Alpha USA hopefully in next 3 to 4 months
Sucks but no shouting screaming being pissed off will help get car repaired sooner
So just have to grin and bare it.
Not to be pedantic, but if you're going to be an Alfisti, make sure you correctly refer to your Stelvio as an Alfa. It's an Alfa Romeo.