• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

V6 engine sound on drive away

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
If the production exhaust sounds that good on start up I will be very happy :cool:
The good news is the production V6 has 3 cats and no particulate filter plus the exhaust valve can be open from idle in Sport drive mode. So it will sound very similar to the grey dynamic prototype in this clip and in the clips from Goodwood and Laguna Seca.

In some countries you'll be able to replace the 3rd cat with a straight pipe for even more throatiness.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
The good news is the production V6 has 3 cats and no particulate filter plus the exhaust valve can be open from idle in Sport drive mode. So it will sound very similar to the grey dynamic prototype in this clip and in the clips from Goodwood and Laguna Seca.

In some countries you'll be able to replace the 3rd cat with a straight pipe for even more throatiness.
@Laguna Seca it sounds heavenly on the circuit , you can hear the supercharger whine in one clip.

4GIV8M3

Emira Fan
Reaction score
@Rasputin the same way people buy any new turbo car. They look at the numbers instead of the sound. New M cars are a perfect example. Sound like crap but sell like hot cakes. Amg is already following and Audi has been there with the exception of their glorius V10. Great for manufactuers as it's a lot easier to make everyone to transition to EVs when you hear how bad modern cars sound.

OP
JPS_67

JPS_67

Reaction score
How can you watch this video and then order the i4?
I'm in the car with my KEF speakers on, having lots of fun turning corners and enjoying the wonderful capabilites of my Emira. What do I care about the sound outside. I am the lucky bloke on the inside,..
...that and the fact that taxes are trough the roof for the v6 in The Netherlands :(

roundincircles

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I test drove the Alpine, wonderful light car but …… kinda ho hum with its 4 pot.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Both those videos have got some background noise and distortion.

Here's my two videos from Goodwood, one at low revs/walking pace and a very short drive-by one (the Laguna Seca video has more). This is the grey dynamic prototype so has no particulate filter and 3 cats - same as the V6 FE - but with the exhaust valve set open full time (ie like Sport drive mode will be):

note89

Reaction score
Because in some countries the taxes on a V6 are eye-watering compared to the i4. Buy now before they tax and legislate us into EVs :)
Here are the numbers in Portugal.

AMGTOYOTADifference
CC19953456
Emissions180243
COST€76,874€81,031€4,157
COST WITH TAX€101,564€127,848€26,284
TAX€24,690€46,816€22,127
TAX % markup32.12%57.78%
TAX % of total24.31%36.62%

I would very much like a manual but cannot really justify it, or can I 😏 ?

Last edited: