• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

UK deposit to order checkout to delivery process

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Moved from another thread:

Still waiting for Lotus to clarify whether there is an option in between take the car now or forced cancellation and re-join the back of the queue. Was expecting that info yesterday but now looks like it’ll be Tue after the New Year public holiday.

So do I understand that you have effectively tried to ask if you can voluntarily delay the car but keep the deposit in place?

Yes, I'm seeing if there is an option to delay my order 6-12 months. I can't postpone delivery of the already-built car, I either have to take it as it is or it becomes "orphaned" and gets offered to others further down the queue with a similar spec, with my deposit being cancelled.

I've asked about the impact of changing spec, deferring to a later V6 FE slot or switching to the Base queue while keeping my existing deposit in place.

So far Lotus have said all three options count as a cancellation and re-order. For First Edition I'd be at the back of the queue, which is H2-2024 - no option to defer to mid/late 2023, which is what I'd been told before was possible to do. A spec change would also put me at the back of the queue rather than the 6-month delay I'd been advised previously. So in effect options I'd been given before have now been changed from +6 months to +12-24 months. For Base Edition, you can't place a UK deposit for one yet, so I'd have to take my deposit back, wait for the order book to open in Q1/Q2 2023 and join the queue for delivery sometime in H1-2024. Surprisingly, there is no option to wait in an Edition-agnostic queue until the Base options and pricing are published and then make a decision between First and Base Editions.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Moved from another thread:

Yes, I'm seeing if there is an option to delay my order 6-12 months. I can't postpone delivery of the already-built car, I either have to take it as it is or it becomes "orphaned" and gets offered to others further down the queue with a similar spec, with my deposit being cancelled.

I've asked about the impact of changing spec, deferring to a later V6 FE slot or switching to the Base queue while keeping my existing deposit in place.

So far Lotus have said all three options count as a cancellation and re-order. For First Edition I'd be at the back of the queue, which is H2-2024 - no option to defer to mid/late 2023, which is what I'd been told before was possible to do. A spec change would also put me at the back of the queue rather than the 6-month delay I'd been advised previously. So in effect options I'd been given before have now been changed from +6 months to +12-24 months. For Base Edition, you can't place a UK deposit for one yet, so I'd have to take my deposit back, wait for the order book to open in Q1/Q2 2023 and join the queue for delivery sometime in H1-2024. Surprisingly, there is no option to wait in an Edition-agnostic queue until the Base options and pricing are published and then make a decision between First and Base Editions.
At least you've asked the questions which were going on in my mind. Basically take it or leave it. And as the test drives open up in January to the masses there may be more orders pushing the Q out to 2025.

Wonder if Haynes will do a manual for the Emira, I might just need to get one!

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It feels like the previously available options got closed off when my car went into build, or when I was sent the Checkout email. It certainly wasn't explained at the time. I've heard of other people pre-checkout but possibly in production being told any changes meant going to the back of the queue.

I'm sure Lotus have their reasons for making it take it or leave it with no middle options, but I think they are risking people picking "leave it" and walking away rather than joining the back of the queue. As discussed many times, with a full order book for 1.5-2 years they don't seem to care about people dropping out. It's a tricky one for people with early deposits, as specs have been locked in for over 12 months, test drive sequencing got messed up and now you discover a spec change or deferral is no longer +6 months it's potentially +24 months. People only slightly further down the queue have got more flexibility.

And as you say, with UK test drives opening up to non-deposit holders in Jan/Feb the V6 FE queue could extend into 2025 by the time the Base info is published. It'll be stretching the point to call all UK cars produced from late 2022 to mid 2025 "First" Editions!

Wake

Reaction score
I'm sure Lotus have their reasons for making it take it or leave it with no middle options
Is it possible that if you leave it and forfeit your place and get put to the back that means they don’t have to honour the original price?

I’ll be honest I feel like I want to delay mine because I feel the car won’t be ready for the plans I have in 2023, but I think doing that would greatly reduce the chances of lotus honouring the original price.

And as you say, with UK test drives opening up to non-deposit holders in Jan/Feb the V6 FE queue could extend into 2025 by the time the Base info is published. It'll be stretching the point to call all UK cars produced from late 2022 to mid 2025 "First" Editions!
Do Lotus really intend to be making “First Edition” cars for longer than the first year? Surely they are no longer a first edition by that point. I never understood why the first edition wasn’t limited to X number per region.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
If it gets counted as a cancellation then they won't honour the price, even if I don't physically get the deposit money back and ask them to use it for a re-order. The deposit date will then be reset to now, so after the date for Matt's price commitment in June. I can't see them holding the prices in the face of 10%+ inflation and I'm expecting there will be an increase early in 2023, possibly when they announce the Base pricing.

The FE situation is very inconsistent. North America was a fixed quota but in the UK you can still order an FE today for delivery in 2024. I'm assuming there is some regulatory reason, like maybe having to meet different requirements in the US if they sell more than X cars there.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
If it gets counted as a cancellation then they won't honour the price, even if I don't physically get the deposit money back and ask them to use it for a re-order. The deposit date will then be reset to now, so after the date for Matt's price commitment in June. I can't see them holding the prices in the face of 10%+ inflation and I'm expecting there will be an increase early in 2023, possibly when they announce the Base pricing.

The FE situation is very inconsistent. North America was a fixed quota but in the UK you can still order an FE today for delivery in 2024. I'm assuming there is some regulatory reason, like maybe having to meet different requirements in the US if they sell more than X cars there.
Ooh it’s a gamble take an early one and be an early adopter and all that that entails or don’t and the price goes up. Perhaps like Schmee they can put some additional test miles on the car to make sure it’s as good as it can be before delivery.

Green

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

Not my decision to make but I would take the car. You can use it until the GT or final edition is released and then swap It out. Really cannot lose.

Wake

Reaction score
Not my decision to make but I would take the car. You can use it until the GT or final edition is released and then swap It out. Really cannot lose.
You will lose on depreciation doing that though? Especially since the any GT/final/S edition is likely to carry a premium over the expected price increase on base

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

I would take the car as well... drive it, enjoy it and then deliberate if it is worth trading up / down into a base spec or the unannounced GT spec. I can't imagine loosing to much $$ if you decide mid summer to trade in and go a different route. Maybe you find that you don't enjoy the Emira as much and change brands to a McLaren or Aston. My 2 cents.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

Except I’ve already got two driver-focused Lotus cars I can use until the Emira GT book opens, or until info is published to make a decision between Base and First Edition. I don’t need to bear depreciation on a car that doesn’t quite meet my requirements to have it as a stop-gap.

Cachaco131

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Waiting to order
Except I’ve already got two driver-focused Lotus cars I can use until the Emira GT book opens, or until info is published to make a decision between Base and First Edition. I don’t need to bear depreciation on a car that doesn’t quite meet my requirements to have it as a stop-gap.
Maybe order a 911T for '24 delivery and be first on the list of the Emira S/GT equivalent in '26!

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
and with that, I think you have answered your own question on what to do.

Hobiedick

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
It seems to me Lotus has let early UK people down on original April 22 deliveries a delay of 7 or 8 months and now want to force people to take delivery in Midwinter and not allow them to delay of 2 or 3 months to better weather, cake and eat it comes to mind. I have no doubt their cash flow situation is dire and a supposed full order book for 1.5 to 2 years looks good but if you still cannot produce cars in quantity this is not a good business model, it cannot show any return on investment for the forseeable future!!!

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
and with that, I think you have answered your own question on what to do.
Don’t worry, I’ve decided what I’m doing. I haven’t posted to confirm that yet as I’m still waiting for Lotus to decide if they are going to leave the door open or slam it in my face. But I think several of you have worked it out in the meantime.

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
It seems to me Lotus has let early UK people down on original April 22 deliveries a delay of 7 or 8 months and now want to force people to take delivery in Midwinter and not allow them to delay of 2 or 3 months to better weather, cake and eat it comes to mind. I have no doubt their cash flow situation is dire and a supposed full order book for 1.5 to 2 years looks good but if you still cannot produce cars in quantity this is not a good business model, it cannot show any return on investment for the forseeable future!!!
It is disappointing that I’ll get my car In the winter. Id like to delay registration and delivery to March but unlike Lotus who can delay customers seemingly we can’t delay taking our cars.

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Just catching up, Wow some classic Emira forum over thinking going off here I feel. 😄

Regarding the early adopter thing, Harry picked his up and did a trouble free 2.5k mls straight away, that's like the first year for me so that'll do.

On the subject of my checkout, we're about to go into the month (jan) mine is supposed to be built, I've heard nothing since my enhance and protect email early December. So I've not been told its delayed as many other Jan builds have so it's going ahead right??

Tbh I'm not expecting it to arrive, if they do delay it from Jan and don't let me know until Jan when they've clearly known earlier well that's just disgusting. We shall see......

Jimblob

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Ooh it’s a gamble take an early one and be an early adopter and all that that entails or don’t and the price goes up. Perhaps like Schmee they can put some additional test miles on the car to make sure it’s as good as it can be before delivery
Mine had 25 miles on the clock when I picked it up… not sure why so many. They must have had some gremlins to fix or similar but all seams ok now and I’m 300 miles in… Those initial miles weren’t done by the dealer either as I can see from the tracker that it only did 0.2 miles with them!

Last edited:

Hobiedick

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Just catching up, Wow some classic Emira forum over thinking going off here I feel. 😄

Regarding the early adopter thing, Harry picked his up and did a trouble free 2.5k mls straight away, that's like the first year for me so that'll do.

On the subject of my checkout, we're about to go into the month (jan) mine is supposed to be built, I've heard nothing since my enhance and protect email early December. So I've not been told its delayed as many other Jan builds have so it's going ahead right??

Tbh I'm not expecting it to arrive, if they do delay it from Jan and don't let me know until Jan when they've clearly known earlier well that's just disgusting. We shall see......
If you watch Harry's video, it was not entirely trouble free, admittedly they were minor problems but they did delay some of his journey.

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
If you watch Harry's video, it was not entirely trouble free, admittedly they were minor problems but they did delay some of his journey.
Nothing worse than turning it on an off again was there? That's standard daily practice on a ferrari for warning light roulette!

Speaking as someone that ended up rejecting a brand new porsche I can live with the stuff on Harry's video. 😄

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com

Latest posts