• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Two New Faults Today - Reversing Camera and Parking Brake

FlashingBlade

Emira Fan
Reaction score
So, up until today, other than a single instance of the aircon ceasing to work my car has been issue-free, but as I put more miles on issues are starting to present themselves.

Got in it this morning, put it in reverse, no reversing camera. 'Odd' I thought but hey-ho maybe it'll come back of its own accord. Went to reverse, but the parking brake didn't automatically disengage and had to be done manually.

Both of these problems have continued throughout the day and Its been left for a few hours each time. So now I have a reversing camera that doesn't engage and the parking brake has to be manually disengaged and hill hold isn't engaging either which means a good old fashioned clutch control on inclines. Neither are the end of the world but with them only just appearing, I'm wondering if a reset and battery disconnect is in order.

Has anyone had these issues?

Chobfreak

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
So, up until today, other than a single instance of the aircon ceasing to work my car has been issue-free, but as I put more miles on issues are starting to present themselves.

Got in it this morning, put it in reverse, no reversing camera. 'Odd' I thought but hey-ho maybe it'll come back of its own accord. Went to reverse, but the parking brake didn't automatically disengage and had to be done manually.

Both of these problems have continued throughout the day and Its been left for a few hours each time. So now I have a reversing camera that doesn't engage and the parking brake has to be manually disengaged and hill hold isn't engaging either which means a good old fashioned clutch control on inclines. Neither are the end of the world but with them only just appearing, I'm wondering if a reset and battery disconnect is in order.

Has anyone had these issues?
The parking camera problem is something I sometimes get with my Camaro when I engage it straight away upon getting in the car. It usually comes back into working condition within 24 hours. No idea if the Emira's might come back to life either.

OP
F

FlashingBlade

Emira Fan
Reaction score
It's clearly electrical/software which is why I'm thinking a battery disconnect might clear it. Sometimes when code has been running for a while the errors accumulate to a point where by something stops working. At the end of the day, neither are a major problem if you're even halfway capable of driving a car but an inconvenience and something that shouldn't be happening obviously.

emirahl

Reaction score
The reverse camera only works when the info system is completely up and loaded. If you hopp in the car, start and reverse out, the camera can not keep up. Take your time before you reverse.
That is my experience which I figured out immediately.
Check it out and let us know your experience.
Your other problem I luckily did not experience.
The rear camera makes the Emira a daily drivers car. I do not want to miss it, specially in parking garages in shopping centers.

DaveR

Reaction score
My gearbox seized on day 2 of ownership. When they replaced it the reverse camera wouldn’t engage which I new previously worked. The auto parking break wouldn’t work either. Not sure whether that have ever worked. It was fixed saying a switch in the gear box controlled both and that was the problem. Whether I was told the truth who knows but it was fixed. Sounds like hardware

OP
F

FlashingBlade

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Thanks, thats really useful. Fortunately, I don't have a seized gearbox comments do suggest its the gearstick position sensor that has failed. I'm not going to bother with an ECU reset as I don't think it'll do any good and its far too hot today to be stood outside anyway.

Fortunately, my dealer is only 40 minutes away so I guess I'll get to find out how good they are. I'm going to drop them an email and ask what the arrangements are for warranty work given the new structure between lotus and dealers.

DaveR

Reaction score
Thanks, thats really useful. Fortunately, I don't have a seized gearbox comments do suggest its the gearstick position sensor that has failed. I'm not going to bother with an ECU reset as I don't think it'll do any good and its far too hot today to be stood outside anyway.

Fortunately, my dealer is only 40 minutes away so I guess I'll get to find out how good they are. I'm going to drop them an email and ask what the arrangements are for warranty work given the new structure between lotus and dealers.
I thought it would be something in the gear stick mechanism but the lotus tech said it was in the gearbox. Kind of made sense as that was what they had changed. So the new box was faulty or a lead not plugged in. But the dealer did want the car for 3 days but then sorted it after 1. They were great and couldn’t fault them apart from not testing fully when they replaced the initial gear box. Dealer 90 min drive away which is a pain but could be worse. They gave me a curtesy car I guess paid for by lotus. The warranty seems to work ok but needs clearing through lotus by the dealer. So from our point of view it’s easy. Phone the dealer and get it booked in but they all seem pretty busy. I had a 5 week wait but that can also be effected by lack of parts

Magicman

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I had a “parking brake service required” error pop up yesterday. Didn’t last for long though.
I've had that from new back in early March, right up until the latest firmware update a few wks ago, now I get the sos failure warning that I've never had once before the update instead 😄🤦

OP
F

FlashingBlade

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I thought it would be something in the gear stick mechanism but the lotus tech said it was in the gearbox. Kind of made sense as that was what they had changed. So the new box was faulty or a lead not plugged in. But the dealer did want the car for 3 days but then sorted it after 1. They were great and couldn’t fault them apart from not testing fully when they replaced the initial gear box. Dealer 90 min drive away which is a pain but could be worse. They gave me a curtesy car I guess paid for by lotus. The warranty seems to work ok but needs clearing through lotus by the dealer. So from our point of view it’s easy. Phone the dealer and get it booked in but they all seem pretty busy. I had a 5 week wait but that can also be effected by lack of parts
Geez, I hope theres' an easier fix than that. My gearbox is otherwise fine and it seems a waste to replace the whole unit because of a relatively small failure. The car is still useable and its my second car anyway so providing they can get the parts I'm hoping I can get it in relatively quickly.

DaveR

Reaction score
Geez, I hope theres' an easier fix than that. My gearbox is otherwise fine and it seems a waste to replace the whole unit because of a relatively small failure. The car is still useable and its my second car anyway so providing they can get the parts I'm hoping I can get it in relatively quickly.
It was when the gearbox was replaced that these faults occurred. I think to sort the problem was fairly easy and certainly didn’t have to change the whole gearbox

OP
F

FlashingBlade

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Just by way of an update on this, I have the car booked in for collection to have the issue looked at the week after next. However, I've just dropped the car off for ceramic coating and full detailing and both the parking brake and the reversing camera are working again...

Sods law.

Not sure if I'm going to get it checked over or just cancel it and see if it happens again.