Sun visor - no mirror on drivers side

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Or if you're really that bothered, buy a passenger visor with mirror from the opposite of your car (LHD<>RHD) as a spare part and swap it over....?
We're going to have to get confirmation from Matt that it's okay to flip the visors first.

OP
Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Or if you're really that bothered, buy a passenger visor with mirror from the opposite of your car (LHD<>RHD) as a spare part and swap it over....?
That is what I am likely to do (as per my original post B&C are going to assist if they can) but I recall there is power to it..for illumination. With luck that is present in the connection to the drivers side but, may not be........one has to find things to muse over during a long wait for the car.....however inconsequential....

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
And yet I'd be willing to be 90%+ of the cars WILL be men driving with ladies in the passenger seat. This is absolutely a car targeted at the male market. It's reality, not sexism.
Except in China, where Lotus have already stated the AMG variant is aimed at female drivers.

The Lotus NYO version probably has a vanity mirror for the driver but not the passenger :)

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Except in China, where Lotus have already stated the AMG variant is aimed at female drivers.

The Lotus NYO version probably has a vanity mirror for the driver but not the passenger :)
FE - Female Edition?

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
In a real mans car like an S1 Exige - there's no such thing as a sun visor. I believe this was done deliberately to ensure there could not be a mirror on either side.................

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
To be fair, in an S1 Exige there’s no aircon, stereo, satnav, ABS , traction control, power steering, electric windows or central locking.

Sun visors and vanity mirrors are a long way down the lists of things you don’t get!

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
ahem....

Some of us still have VHPD and still have air con (well theres a button which lights up...) it does sweet Fanny Adams nowadays :poop:

When a bought it millions of years ago it did work..sort of..a bit...

I have a ICE thing in the slot but I think it will be replaced by a blanking plate. If im going any distance I wear a set of peltors.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
When I bought mine the previous owner said the AC wasn’t working. On checking, I found it had an AC button but the compressor and fan had been removed and the pipework cut back and tied off!

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
When I bought mine the previous owner said the AC wasn’t working. On checking, I found it had an AC button but the compressor and fan had been removed and the pipework cut back and tied off!
Well, he wasn't wrong! :p

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
thread hijack
'in the day' most removed the aircon as it added about 75kgs. I kept all mine and i defo have a spare bracket if you want it Tom. I weighs an absolute tonne. The compressor is heavier. heat exchanger is squashed up against the rad so makes everything cooling wise ....worse!
But - I do want to get it working one day. that will be a full strip down though as its all a complete mare to get at.

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
In a real mans car like an S1 Exige - there's no such thing as a sun visor. I believe this was done deliberately to ensure there could not be a mirror on either side.................
In all seriousness, I only flip the visor down in the rarest of conditions to begin with. I had to look if any of mine had a mirror. Can’t think under what circumstances I would find that useful. My wife says the same thing; she’s never used the drivers side vanity. Besides, the rear view mirror is already out.

I’d say the inclusion of one is a throwback from an earlier time. An advanced vehicle wouldn’t cling to such superfluous nonsense.

OP
Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Thanks for all the replies......the debate was.....interesting........and I got less abuse than expected for which I am grateful.
I asked the question half in jest but half not, because I DO actually use it. In all my cars. But especially in sport/event cars.

I will confess what I use it for.....and these are all real life times I've needed it....before you ask rear view mirror is less useful and irritating to readjust afterwards....passenger does not count because the driver (me) is in the driving seat.....

(a) Applying suncream to face before stepping out for hours outside in the summer. Especially driving a convertible.
(b) adjusting cravat/outfit at the Goodwood Revival meeting (every year since 1998!) or similar
(c) tieing up ties and also bowties....before stepping out in an event
(d) helping to extract bugs in hair after a run in a Shelby Cobra.

My lady friend uses it to do her lipstick Penelope Pitstop-style. In her cars.

So......if anyone knows why only the passenger gets one when as I see it the driver is more likely to use it.....(even if my examples above are not applicable for most) then answers on a postcard please.....

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
thread hijack
'in the day' most removed the aircon as it added about 75kgs. I kept all mine and i defo have a spare bracket if you want it Tom. I weighs an absolute tonne. The compressor is heavier. heat exchanger is squashed up against the rad so makes everything cooling wise ....worse!
But - I do want to get it working one day. that will be a full strip down though as its all a complete mare to get at.

Thanks. When I discovered it had been cut out I investigated reinstating it. It was going to cost a fortune and some Lotus parts were no longer available.

Even when working well it is like an asthmatic blowing at you with a straw. So I just accept the resulting sauna is part of Colin’s “add lightness” philosophy :)

Hell4Leather

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies......the debate was.....interesting........and I got less abuse than expected for which I am grateful.
I asked the question half in jest but half not, because I DO actually use it. In all my cars. But especially in sport/event cars.

I will confess what I use it for.....and these are all real life times I've needed it....before you ask rear view mirror is less useful and irritating to readjust afterwards....passenger does not count because the driver (me) is in the driving seat.....

(a) Applying suncream to face before stepping out for hours outside in the summer. Especially driving a convertible.
(b) adjusting cravat/outfit at the Goodwood Revival meeting (every year since 1998!) or similar
(c) tieing up ties and also bowties....before stepping out in an event
(d) helping to extract bugs in hair after a run in a Shelby Cobra.

My lady friend uses it to do her lipstick Penelope Pitstop-style. In her cars.
Not a postcard but Saab didn’t have them on the drivers side and Dana Carvey showed how dangerous that could be:

Last edited:

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Having just spent the day in a portifino, I realised it's also missing the drivers side vanity mirror, seems the Italians are also in on this, whatever this is 👀

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
boooom!!! even available with a glittery border and a light 👌
iu

nelly111s

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I used to work in Saudi Arabia in the early 90's. A lot of the locals drove with the rear view mirror permanently rotated to portrait orientation and pointed towards them, so they could readjust their ghutrah (headdress) at each set of lights. Who needs to see what's behind anyway ...

Subw00er

Reaction score
I dont recall the last time I used that mirror on any car. Just use the rear view, or....

Push both of the side mirror buttons at the same time, then look right. The mirror gives you a nice look of yourself... :)