Steering Wheel

donskibeat

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi

What are your thoughts on steering wheel?

Most cars I have had in past and current car has a leather steering wheel, but quite liking the look of the alcantara with yellow nappa inserts.

Has anyone experience an alcantara steering wheel? what is it like for wear and tear, especially nowadays when constantly using things like hand sanitizer etc.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Alcantara is typically used in race vehicles for extra grip when combined with gloves... Sadly, most daily driven alcantara steering wheels don't hold up well. The oils and dirt from your hands will quickly wear away at that beautiful material and will end up feeling like a wet sock. That being said, I planned to spec the yellow alcantara wheel as well, but I hope Lotus decides to offer colored inserts and stitching with their black leather wheel! If they do, I'll certainly go with Alcantara seats and leather wheel.

RapidLotus

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I have an Alcantara covered wheel in my garage. Not on the car but in the closet because it wore out so quickly. I like my current wheel much better but not possible to use in the Emira. This is in my 2005 Elise and I made it from scratch. All buttons are functional.

20210724_090329.jpg

Racer X

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I chose standard leather as my experience matches that of the second poster. I’m not happy about the shape of the Emira wheel, however. I wish it were just round, not squared off on the top and bottom. The current wheel looks like it would be difficult to use while responding quickly in an opposite lock situation.

klho001

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Personally not a fan of alcantara wrapped steering, give me a nice flat bottom leather any day.
Had an option for this on my prev M3 and didnt pick it either.

Racer X

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Forgot to mention- I wish they had kept the colorful Lotus logo in the middle of the wheel, like the Evora has.