So Top Gear are saying there is a future soft top?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Odd, because Lotus have said there won't be.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
It does have shades of the Evora in reverse! Lotus originally planned to do an Evora Spyder or Targa but never had enough sales volume to justify the investment.

Perhaps they’ll keep saying no to a convertible Emira and then surprise us.

Singularity

Reaction score
At the Hamilton event I specifically asked about this.

As best I recall the phrases used were ‘would require quite a bit of modification’, ‘no plans‘ but there tellingly wasn’t a ‘it’s not possible’ in the conversation either. The reason I asked was clearly comparisons are being drawn with a Cayman so wondered if Lotus might want to make something with a nod towards the Baxter, even if it can’t match a full drop top experience.

I came away with the perception that a targa might be possible if there was enough firm demand. There wasn’t anything said or even hinted at to give me this impression; it was just more a gut feel after absorbing the tone of the discussion.

So who knows? But I agree with @Leonard, if a targa was an option now I’d have it in a flash.

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I’m actually not too excited by the prospect of a convertible Emira. I like it as a coupe and wouldn’t want to lose the view of that engine through the rear glass. What a pleasure to look at!

OP
B

Bradw

Emira Fan
Reaction score
At the Hamilton event I specifically asked about this.

As best I recall the phrases used were ‘would require quite a bit of modification’, ‘no plans‘ but there tellingly wasn’t a ‘it’s not possible’ in the conversation either. The reason I asked was clearly comparisons are being drawn with a Cayman so wondered if Lotus might want to make something with a nod towards the Baxter, even if it can’t match a full drop top experience.

I came away with the perception that a targa might be possible if there was enough firm demand. There wasn’t anything said or even hinted at to give me this impression; it was just more a gut feel after absorbing the tone of the discussion.

So who knows? But I agree with @Leonard, if a targa was an option now I’d have it in a flash.
As this is a world wide production it would make sense to have a soft top in the future?

SJR202

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I'd always be keen for a Targa, my mate had an S2 Exige and converted it to a convertible via B&C (I think) around 2007, the roof on that however unbolted and you could put an Elise S2 roof on it, looked so cool and added another dimension to the car.
Top Gear I suspect have thrown that comment out there with no basis other than most sports car manufacturers normally do a convertible at a later date. As mentioned above given the global market of this car some sort of targa would make sense.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I guess some of the decision will hinge on demand and some on how long Lotus think they will be able to keep selling the Emira. Legislation changes will eventually kill the V6 and will require rework on the i4, but if that's economic and demand holds up then they might consider it.

If the UK ban on selling ICE cars goes ahead before 2030 then Lotus will need to see enough demand from other markets to make it worthwhile doing a new model. With their stated intent of an EV sportscar in the next 3-5 years, I think it's more likely we'll see a convertible version of that rather than a convertible Emira.