• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Rear cabin storage weight limit

Dommo

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Exactly what I was thinking. The net can't hold more than 20kgs. Nothing to do with the floor.
Actually, I raised this question when I was on a test drive today and when the Lotus rep showed me the rear storage the net mechanism was broken on one side 🤯. And that's on a 100 mile demo car!

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Disappointing to hear that it flexed under pressure. I wonder if that could be reinforced using a full width piece of 1/8" aluminum clad with upholstery to hide it. My travel case for work regularly weighs almost 45lb but then it's also 14lb empty.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Insecure? Not unsecure? I guess Lotus is concerned with the emotional state of luggage.
All joking aside, that is a very low limit!
The insecure reference related to Emotional Baggage..
Your results may vary.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
OK I can tell some of you guys are serious rule-followers, so I 'm sure you will store a precise bathroom scale in the car, and carefully weigh each item before you place it in the restricted areas behind the seats and in the trunk/boot. And don't forget to include the weight of the scale itself in your calculations, that could tip the total weight into the danger zone.
I blame the British Pound.

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have just done 1600 miles with two fully loaded carry on cases in that space. The cases sit right behind the seats and are not going anywhere as the seat backs pretty much hold them in place. The net does nothing. The floor doesn’t appear to have gone anywhere either.
The ends of the net will release from the clips if you put stress on them. They can just be clipped back in if you haven’t lost the retaining sleeve which will roll under the seat. @Dommo tell your sales rep!

Tokion

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Insecure? Not unsecure? I guess Lotus is concerned with the emotional state of luggage.
All joking aside, that is a very low limit!
Maybe the Lotus Driver becomes insecure when stuff is dangling around in the rear behind her/him❣️🎉🏃‍♂️🙏😇👀

action_turtle

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
They put a 20kg sticker in for the rack behind seat and and 50kg sticker in the boot when you get the car.

20kg makes sense as if you crash, you have to add that to the body weight for the safety features.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
They put a 20kg sticker in for the rack behind seat and and 50kg sticker in the boot when you get the car.

20kg makes sense as if you crash, you have to add that to the body weight for the safety features.
It's almost like they should have included some hard points so that luggage could be strapped down to prevent it from shifting in a collision.

Pugwash

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Doesn’t that only make sense if there is a maximum allowable driver weight? At the end of the day, if there is a crash it’s the seat belt that is holding the driver in place and needs to be accordingly rated. Not sure an extra 20kg would make that much difference.

action_turtle

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Doesn’t that only make sense if there is a maximum allowable driver weight? At the end of the day, if there is a crash it’s the seat belt that is holding the driver in place and needs to be accordingly rated. Not sure an extra 20kg would make that much difference.
It’s behind the seat, so pushing it forwards. The passengers move and the seat shouldnt. With too much weight pushing the back of the seat it probably causes issues… idk, I’m not an engineer, just stating what the sticker said lol