Possible To Sell Build Slot?

emira101

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am here today with a controversial topic due to a change of situation which has meant I will likely be unable to proceed with my Lotus Emira order. I was wondering whether it would be possible to sell my build slot? Also interested in opinions on doing this versus going ahead, then immediately selling the car (for a profit?) as this is something I could probably stretch funds towards.

My spec includes Verdant Green, Track Suspension, Black Pack, Black Wheels, Yellow Alcantarra Striped Seats

Please let me know your thoughts!

4380r

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am here today with a controversial topic due to a change of situation which has meant I will likely be unable to proceed with my Lotus Emira order. I was wondering whether it would be possible to sell my build slot? Also interested in opinions on doing this versus going ahead, then immediately selling the car (for a profit?) as this is something I could probably stretch funds towards.

My spec includes Verdant Green, Track Suspension, Black Pack, Black Wheels, Yellow Alcantarra Striped Seats

The person to ask would be the dealer with whom you made the deposit and/or Lotus itself.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
In the UK I don't think it will be possible to have the car registered to someone other than you as the deposit holder (or maybe your partner). I think someone has already asked Lotus about this.

That means if you sell your slot before delivery, you'll have to register the car in your name and the purchaser will become the second owner on the registration document. Some people may not like that, but I don't think you can get round it. It also means either you have to pay the full amount and then get paid by the purchaser, or persuade the purchaser to give you some/all of the funds several days before they have the car.

Selling it after delivery would be more straightforward, but means you have to pay and take delivery.

Outside the UK, it depends what your dealer will allow.

OP
E

emira101

Reaction score
The person to ask would be the dealer with whom you made the deposit and/or Lotus itself.
As far as I am aware the deposit was made to Lotus directly, rather than a specific dealer. Maybe it is something I should chase up with Lotus in that case, given the fact that I am yet to receive a final build date/manufacturing slot. Somewhat disappointed with the delays to be honest, as if deliveries were made as expected then I would most likely have gone ahead with the purchase.

Still 50/50 on the decision if I'm honest, which is why I'm weighing up all options before simply asking for my deposit back.

Twin Cam

Emira Fan
Reaction score
As far as I am aware the deposit was made to Lotus directly, rather than a specific dealer. Maybe it is something I should chase up with Lotus in that case, given the fact that I am yet to receive a final build date/manufacturing slot. Somewhat disappointed with the delays to be honest, as if deliveries were made as expected then I would most likely have gone ahead with the purchase.

Still 50/50 on the decision if I'm honest, which is why I'm weighing up all options before simply asking for my deposit back.
Flippers….I hope they catch a cold

Bod27

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I asked about registering mine in my wife's name quite a while ago , they said no. I brought the subject up at FOS this year and got a better reply, basically as it is my wife and we live at the same address they said they couldn't see why not.

Balboa

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

First off - it would be helpful if you say what country you are in. Then when your deposit was placed/when you 'expect' delivery

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
First off - it would be helpful if you say what country you are in. Then when your deposit was placed/when you 'expect' delivery
His icon shows the UK so we can assume it's just that.

The only thing they should allow you to do is take delivery or request a refund, nothing else. If they do anything more they are going to piss off everyone in line behind you.

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
In effect that’s what Lotus are trying to do in the UK, you either get a refund or take delivery.

ADC

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I do think the fairest thing (for other chumps in the queue) is to pull out if you don't want to own the car for your own enjoyment... but I can see it might be hard to ignore the seductive pull of flipping for a small profit.

We clearly can't know your circumstances, so it would be unfair to judge harshly, but come on... if you can see a way to "stretch in order to take delivery", surely you can apply your Man Maths brain to find a way to hang onto it for a bit! :D ;)