Porsche to ease pressure on Lotus

roundincircles

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

Demand Of The 718 Series Is So High That Porsche Will Tap VW Group’s Osnabruck Plant For Extra Volume​

This is expected to happen middle of next year. Interesting it takes 12 months or so to organise despite having mature processes and tooling.

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Ha, and GT3s... Love to see the look on the faces of those who paid well over £200K for it and see the price crash.

More importantly, I could then afford one.. and.... shock.... would trade the Emira in for it.

dgrace

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I did a track day a couple of weeks ago and can attest that at least up here in WA, lots of GT4's and GT3's get some good hard exercise in their natural track habitat. Even in pouring rain! Fantastic cars.

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I sure hope this means thousands more GT4RSs get built so a few of them actually end up getting used at race tracks by enthusiasts instead of sitting unused in investors’ portfolios.
Never happen, their 718 production backlog is in the 4 cylinder models, mostly for China and countries with harsh carbon emission taxes.

I don't think ever in the history of Porsche have they increased the allocations on GT products and they could care less how many people actually drive them. However, far more Porsche owners drive their cars than most any of the other prestige marques.

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Ha, and GT3s... Love to see the look on the faces of those who paid well over £200K for it and see the price crash.

More importantly, I could then afford one.. and.... shock.... would trade the Emira in for it.
Again, never going to happen. Porsche has not been shy about their desire to price protect the GT products. Their actual quote is, "We will build 1 less car than the demand".

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I have to say, the experience of buying a Porsche at a classy dealership is really awesome. I am totally digging the process. Talk about options!! Each option is so honed to a different experience, each tiny piece of leather or aluminum, colored gauge piece, whatever, really all cool. Most importantly is that they never get frustrated with people tweaking for months. Smart actually. I moved up +$13k dollars on my build order just taking my time and learning about what the options do in conjunction with one another.

That being said, Lotus FE first try is really awesome. It needs a few more options though for interior to cater it to people like myself. That steering wheel... hmm... more choices for changing stitching and interior surface options. not much more but something. Also, a restraint system optional for behind the seats. Still a 100% awesome and will love it though as is.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have to say, the experience of buying a Porsche at a classy dealership is really awesome. I am totally digging the process. Talk about options!! Each option is so honed to a different experience, each tiny piece of leather or aluminum, colored gauge piece, whatever, really all cool. Most importantly is that they never get frustrated with people tweaking for months. Smart actually. I moved up +$13k dollars on my build order just taking my time and learning about what the options do in conjunction with one another.

That being said, Lotus FE first try is really awesome. It needs a few more options though for interior to cater it to people like myself. That steering wheel... hmm... more choices for changing stitching and interior surface options. not much more but something. Also, a restraint system optional for behind the seats. Still a 100% awesome and will love it though as is.
What did you order?

xen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Again, never going to happen. Porsche has not been shy about their desire to price protect the GT products. Their actual quote is, "We will build 1 less car than the demand".
Matt was quoted as saying the same thing.

OP
roundincircles

roundincircles

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
At a meeting earlier this year, with Porsche HQ Directors, it was clear that the policy was to supply the market with GTRS 718 irrespective of size.......but only orders placed, non for dealer stock. Certainly, in Europe, that's the case but Porsche UK are restricting order intake at this time......it's odd that the UK is building their competition.

The build one less than the market needs, in my opinion, is simply saying we will not build inventory for dealers, only orders from depositing customers.

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
It’s interesting how that message gets changed when you get to the dealer level. When I asked my dealer about a GT3T and a GT4RS they stated they had stopped taking deposits as their entire allocation for MY22 and 23 was already spoken for as well as every other GT and GTS product.

What has changed, as far as I can tell, is the dealerships are registering “customer interest” in the Porsche ordering system. I have a request in for a Taycan Cross Turismo 4S with a configuration attached. In the past they simply took a deposit and called you when they secured an allocation. Maybe that’s their way of measuring interest and adjusting future allocations to match vs. relying on the old school method of forcing dealers to order for stock. Who really knows?

Callabrator

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
At a meeting earlier this year, with Porsche HQ Directors, it was clear that the policy was to supply the market with GTRS 718 irrespective of size.......but only orders placed, non for dealer stock. Certainly, in Europe, that's the case but Porsche UK are restricting order intake at this time......it's odd that the UK is building their competition.

The build one less than the market needs, in my opinion, is simply saying we will not build inventory for dealers, only orders from depositing customers.
That sounds great, and really hope it pans out that way! I called 2 dealerships around Dallas TX, and as mjw930 states, the message coming from them is very different. One asked for $100k over sticker to "maybe" get me an allocation in a couple years, and the other basically said there was no chance of me ever getting one. FWIW I've never purchased a Porsche before, so I'm sure that factors into it.

~el~jefe~

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
That sounds great, and really hope it pans out that way! I called 2 dealerships around Dallas TX, and as mjw930 states, the message coming from them is very different. One asked for $100k over sticker to "maybe" get me an allocation in a couple years, and the other basically said there was no chance of me ever getting one. FWIW I've never purchased a Porsche before, so I'm sure that factors into it.
that is a big factor yes. With my first Porsche purchase this year, supposedly that gets one a respect position to buy other things or special editions. Interesting rigght?

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
that is a big factor yes. With my first Porsche purchase this year, supposedly that gets one a respect position to buy other things or special editions. Interesting rigght?
One vehicle is a start. The choice allocations like GT3 RS typically go to the multi-year, multi car customers for first right of refusal then they work their way down through their customer base.