On-the-road Costs - am i missing something?

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
On-the-road Costs
Includes delivery to a Lotus Agent for your collection, or delivery to your home address or place of work in the UK, cost of number plates, a full tank of fuel, pre-delivery inspection and valet.
£1,045

Firstly - The New Configuratior is amazing - well done Lotus!

At the risk of getting a telling off:

Now call me a scrooge, and yes i realise the irony paying £80k for a car, but.... £1045 for what exactly???

Delivery - £300 tops
Full tank of fuel - ok fair enough - petrol prices are silly (maybe this is £600 worth?)
Pre delivery inspection - i'd expect this on a brand new car as standard? Why would it not be inspected as part of the price?
number plates - are they gold? (Registration fee is seperate)
Valet - do they come dirty as standard?

Am i missing something? Or is this one of the easter eggs that Tom and co are not allowed to tell us about....

Caveat - I love the brand and of course it's not going to push me away, just a bit thrown by what's included for this figure

Last edited:

duff

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
On-the-road Costs
Includes delivery to a Lotus Agent for your collection, or delivery to your home address or place of work in the UK, cost of number plates, a full tank of fuel, pre-delivery inspection and valet.
£1,045

Now call me a scrooge, and yes i realise the irony paying £80k for a car, but.... £1045 for what exactly???

Delivery - £300 tops
Full tank of fuel - ok fair enough - petrol prices are silly (maybe this is £600 worth?)
Pre delivery inspection - i'd expect this on a brand new car as standard? Why would it not be inspected as part of the price?

Am i missing something? Or is this one of the easter eggs that Tom and co are not allowed to tell us about....

Caveat - I love the brand and of course it's not going to push me away, just a bit thrown by what's included for this figure
Tax - although I thought it would be more

SJR202

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Thought the same.
Given Porsche offer a full factory tour/collection etc and (having never done it but heard) a bit of a VIP experience, this seems a lot. As mentioned
Tank of fuel = £80-100
Number plates = £20
Delivery = £? But doubt they're paying an individual to drive a single car trailer around the country one by one. Happily get myself to Norfolk and collect it!
Valet/check/clean = £200 if paying an external detailer to 'valet' a new car but you dont pay someone to clean a new sofa when it gets delivered!

Like you its not putting me off the car, but it seems a bit steep when a) the cost of above should be much lower and b) seems like we're paying extra for things which just should be part of buying a new car?

AGP

Emira Fan
Reaction score
On-the-road Costs
£1,045

Delivery - £300 tops

Nothing wrong with being a scrooge, it's how I can afford an Emira;)
I agree, it's totally over the top IMO, I did think earlier that maybe they got the initial pricing wrong and are making it back in other ways.

SJR202

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Tax - although I thought it would be more
Isnt tax on top of that?
List price on the config is £75,995 before options.
On the road price in the finance calculator is £79,005
So there is a £3,010 extra gap to pay between list and on the road. If 'on the road cost' = £1045 (for fuel, plastic rectangles & delivery) then that leaves £1965 as first year road fund/premium car tax.

This tax seems about right for the UK based on an Evora v6 CO2 figure:
First licence rate based on CO2 emissions and fuel type = £1910.00
Standard rate of vehicle tax (from year 2 onwards) = £155.00
Additional rate for 5 years from the start of the second licence = £335

Add your finance APR and its quickly a £90k car once PCP/HP is paid back...

OP
Lots_Of_Trouble

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with being a scrooge, it's how I can afford an Emira;)
I agree, it's totally over the top IMO, I did think earlier that maybe they got the initial pricing wrong and are making it back in other ways.
Ha - likewise, i wont buy branded clothes but will spend this on a car.....
Isnt tax on top of that?
So there is a £3,010 extra gap to pay between list and on the road. If 'on the road cost' = £1045 (for fuel, plastic rectangles & delivery) then that leaves £1965 as first year road fund/premium car tax.

Yes - tax is a seperate cost at £1910 for the first year and likewise as you mention for years 2-5.

there is also a seperate registration fee of £55 which makes the £1045 even more odd.

OP
Lots_Of_Trouble

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I’m thinking the same as others, £1000+ delivery fees (with plates etc)is extortion. You can get a car delivery company to deliver it for approximately £200 max
i'm glad I'm not alone in thinking this, i wonder if the same price will apply to Base car customers
or
Is it just to the impatient Sod's like me that will seemingly put up with being held to ransom on such costs...

duff

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Tax is seperate - an extra £1900
:(
Sorry hadn’t found the finance part - I can see that now.
Not purchased new before but it seems a bit much to charge for an inspected and clean new car! Is that normal?
Is this all dropped if we collect from hethel?

OP
Lots_Of_Trouble

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
:(
Sorry hadn’t found the finance part - I can see that now.
Not purchased new before but it seems a bit much to charge for an inspected and clean new car! Is that normal?
Is this all dropped if we collect from hethel?
Im in the same boat, first time "New" car buyer, something which i said i would never do.

My thoughts exactly, why isnt a new car inspected as standard (Included in cost) before leaving the factory, and why shouldn't it be clean?

i'd happily collect from Hethel, im hoping there is more to come from this, it seems abit of a throwback to most, as it stands

SloAlfa

Reaction score
Isnt tax on top of that?

Are you saying total Tax out the door in the UK is only 1900? Consider yourself lucky if that is the case... It will be $6500 here in the US for just Tax (varies by state) then we have all the other fun stuff.. .usually some sort of "destination charge" which I paid $1500 on my Alfa Romeo and the dealer usually tacks on some sort of "dealer fee" of ~$500... im sure there are other "fees". Hope that makes you feel a bit better. Oh, we pay $181 per year also for license fee on every car.

Reaction score
If factory is supplying plates I wonder if they are able to do shorter ones as I have 3+1 plate. When I bought my Evora new the dealer supplied this and also changed the front plinth to shorter version too.

OP
Lots_Of_Trouble

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Are you saying total Tax out the door in the UK is only 1900? Consider yourself lucky if that is the case... It will be $6500 here in the US for just Tax (varies by state) then we have all the other fun stuff.. .usually some sort of "destination charge" which I paid $1500 on my Alfa Romeo and the dealer usually tacks on some sort of "dealer fee" of ~$500... im sure there are other "fees". Hope that makes you feel a bit better. Oh, we pay $181 per year also for license fee on every car.
i was waiting for an American response :) - yes , your tax rates are extortion, we are lucky in that aspect.

The purpose of this post was aside from the actual Tax price however, its more to do with what is included in the on-the-road cost.

CDM1855

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
there is 20% tax included in the car cost, you get royally rogered in the UK. Perhaps that 1000 GBP delivery cost includes a nice Doris that you can take on your 1st road trip

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
On-the-road Costs
£1,045

Delivery - £300 tops

My gut feel is they are trying to recoup some profit. Inflation has been higher than expected and they set the car cost early on.
I'm expecting the car to be delivered by Scarlett Johansson for that money

CDM1855

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
On-the-road Costs
£1,045

Delivery - £300 tops

I suspect the delivery fee includes about 500 quid Lotus are bunging the dealerships for handling the car handovers. should be deducted for those who pick up from Hethel

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
My gut feel is they are trying to recoup some profit. Inflation has been higher than expected and they set the car cost early on.
I'm expecting the car to be delivered by Scarlett Johansson for that m

I suspect the delivery fee includes about 500 quid Lotus are bunging the dealerships for handling the car handovers. should be deducted for those who pick up from Hethel
£500 sounds like a tour and 1/2 day driving experience at Hethel on pickup of the car - and a lunch at the canteen :)