• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

New to Lotus

G

Guest316

Hello everyone, I grew up wanting an Esprit, I thought it was so exotic and drop dead gorgeous, only comparable to the F355 in terms of looks (prettiest Ferrari in modern times). I have owned a myriad of sports cars through the years, but never a Lotus. M3's, MKIV supra, 2nd gen RX-7, and a 3rd gen RX-7 (550 hp), 2nd jen Cayman, first get Boxter, Mazda Miata. I also had the chance of Driving a 991.1 GT3 RS, 911 R, 918, an F430, and a myriad of AMG's. Each of these cars and brands had their own character, even the Japanese ones. Now, all my life I have heard that our chap, Colin Chapman, was a suspension wizard. and Lotus cars have always punched above their weight class when on track because of their light weigh and sublime handling. Is it true? I already have a deposit on a green Emira. My brother has a 911S (991.1) and it is sublime, and originally I wanted a 911, but I am turned off by their sales methods, and the douchebaggery of many Porsche owners (not all). I am also not interested in a cayman, the only reason I looked at the Emira, is because it is absolutely gorgeous! Very 570 GT looking. But looks are subjective. What I need to know, is what am I giving up when by buying this lotus versus a 911S (992), other than a small fortune, and what am I gaining? Am I building it up in my head so much that I will be disappointed? I also want to mention that I am a moderately accomplished driver, I am not buying this car because of looks alone. I tried to find a V6 manual transmission Evora on Turo to rent, but non were available, I live in Austin, Texas. The Emira is not cheap, and at that kind of money there are many options. I would love to hear from people who have owned a lotus, and hav experienced other sports cars as well.
I'm loving being a part of this community so far.

EspritGuy

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hello everyone, I grew up wanting an Esprit, I thought it was so exotic and drop dead gorgeous, only comparable to the F355 in terms of looks (prettiest Ferrari in modern times). I have owned a myriad of sports cars through the years, but never a Lotus. M3's, MKIV supra, 2nd gen RX-7, and a 3rd gen RX-7 (550 hp), 2nd jen Cayman, first get Boxter, Mazda Miata. I also had the chance of Driving a 991.1 GT3 RS, 911 R, 918, an F430, and a myriad of AMG's. Each of these cars and brands had their own character, even the Japanese ones. Now, all my life I have heard that our chap, Colin Chapman, was a suspension wizard. and Lotus cars have always punched above their weight class when on track because of their light weigh and sublime handling. Is it true? I already have a deposit on a green Emira. My brother has a 911S (991.1) and it is sublime, and originally I wanted a 911, but I am turned off by their sales methods, and the douchebaggery of many Porsche owners (not all). I am also not interested in a cayman, the only reason I looked at the Emira, is because it is absolutely gorgeous! Very 570 GT looking. But looks are subjective. What I need to know, is what am I giving up when by buying this lotus versus a 911S (992), other than a small fortune, and what am I gaining? Am I building it up in my head so much that I will be disappointed? I also want to mention that I am a moderately accomplished driver, I am not buying this car because of looks alone. I tried to find a V6 manual transmission Evora on Turo to rent, but non were available, I live in Austin, Texas. The Emira is not cheap, and at that kind of money there are many options. I would love to hear from people who have owned a lotus, and hav experienced other sports cars as well.
I'm loving being a part of this community so far.
Welcome, brother. I owned a 2001 Lotus Esprit twin-turbo v8 many years after discovering the Lotus Europa during college and seeing the Lotus John Player special race at Watkins Glen. Lotus handling is legendary and exceptional. Colin Chapman's engineering philosophy was embraced additionally in the Delorean and the first Tesla sports car (Exige platform I believe). Other's in this forum can discuss Porsche comparisons. (I'm not a 911 nor rear engine fan). I drive a 944 S2, a heretical front engine/ rear transaxle delight with perfect 50/50 weight distribution, and it still doesn't compare with the Esprit in handling finesse and driving exhilaration. And that's my Emira fascination.
By the way, the Emira is in the same weight class as the Esprit (Titanium Silver which has appeared below in Featured Images) but with more HP. There are several Emira fans in the Austin area. Best wishes.....

Maurice R

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Welcome to Lotus world
I have owned a number or Porsches over the years. Still do and now own an Evora GT. Tracked most of them. Raced 125cc and 250cc Karts.
Just sold my 993 but still have a Cayman GTS and love it but all I can say at this point the Evora for me is a far superior handling car. GoKart on steroids
Hope that I get the Emira. Have a deposit on one.
Definitely hooked on lotus