My Emira and Evora GT, Lotus Love

MickOpalak

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I'm not into brand snobbery. I don't understand why someone wouldn't buy a C8 just because it's a GM product. I've always thought that the "prestige" brands are too often given a pass on quality control and absurd maintenance schedules just because they are exclusive.

For example, I really wanted a Ferrari F355. A decent gated 6 speed can be found in the same ballpark as a new Emira. Then I read about the engine-out service that had to be done before the car hit 15k miles. In my opinion, that's unacceptable. People make excuses for this, claiming the engine is race-bred, etc. I completely disagree. That sort of service schedule smacks of poor engineering, and completely unsuitable for a road car.

I have always held the Corvette in high regard, as it manages to deliver reliability, reasonable service costs, and great performance for a reasonable sum. It's the same way that the most recent GT350 represented a very good value.

I had a C7 Z06 before the Evora. It's quality control left much to be desired. 6 warranty claims in the first 2 years. And it had great performance if you measure performance by acceleration or top speed.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Am I an oddball in that I don't really view Lotus as a luxury brand? I think they are niche, nobody knows who they are, and I like that.
Agreed. Lotus isn’t “luxury” to me either. Niche is the perfect way to describe them.
I think that's exactly right. Lotus is historically a producer of exotic sports cars, but in a non-luxury context.

Now they're trying to turn Lotus into a luxury brand, but I don't think the public is buying that narrative just yet.

cyanmauve

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I don’t know what number of vehicles Lotus has to sell in the US to be successful in this market.

I think they will have a tough road to hoe.

The Lotus brand cachet is based on an almost cottage industry production of well priced, low volume, crafted sports cars built with an ethos of less is more, uncompromising road feel and light weight. The Emira mostly fits that image.

The people that recognize that image are overwhelmingly dyed in the wool sportscar enthusiasts with some knowledge of motor sports/F1 heritage.

I don’t know how you go from selling to that market, which is not only small to begin with, but probably dwindling and aging, to selling heavy electric SUVs.

Yes, the Emira may serve to get interested parties in the door, but parked side by side, an Emira shares virtually no significant styling cues with their SUVs.

I wonder if the United States market is really necessary for Geely’s long term plan for Lotus.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I wonder if the United States market is really necessary for Geely’s long term plan for Lotus.
Luckily for us, it's customers that determine a market, not the abstract desires of manufacturers. If people don't buy their new vision of selling 6,000 lb ultra luxury EV SUVs in volume, either they will have to pivot back to sports cars, sell the company again, or shut it down. I'm hoping for option 2, since that would be more likely to ensure long term product support for the traditional sports car customers than any future under Chinese ownership.

J_J

Reaction score
Question since you have both. I pre-ordered the Emira but couldn't follow through due to circumstances but I'm still looking.

I happened to have "very responsibly" driven an Evora and a C8 this weekend on some desert twisties and highways, and loved them both. However, the Evora in sports was LOUD. I'd say at least 2-3 times as loud as the C8. And while it was an absolute hoot (while seemingly not in the same class, at least as fun as the C8), there's no way I can have a car that loud in my neighborhood.

How is the Emira sound relative to the Evora?

OP
V

Vampyre

Reaction score
Question since you have both. I pre-ordered the Emira but couldn't follow through due to circumstances but I'm still looking.

I happened to have "very responsibly" driven an Evora and a C8 this weekend on some desert twisties and highways, and loved them both. However, the Evora in sports was LOUD. I'd say at least 2-3 times as loud as the C8. And while it was an absolute hoot (while seemingly not in the same class, at least as fun as the C8), there's no way I can have a car that loud in my neighborhood.

How is the Emira sound relative to the Evora?
Stock Evora should not be that loud in touring mode, I have a 3rd cat delete on my Evora GT and in sport or race it is louder, but not crazy loud.
My Emira has the 3rd cat delete, but it is not installed, until after break in. The loudness of the stock Emira in touring is mild.

A stock C8 sting ray is also not loud, even with the factory upgraded NPP exhaust it is still not that loud, you have to go 3rd party exhaust on the C8