Montana LLC registration

ttvetdoc

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I was at a car meet recently and noticed a Montana plate (here in NC). The car owner went over the Montana LLC registration 'technique'. I've subsequently looked into this a little bit but I was curious what others think about this (pros/cons)? I know there are some insurance companies that are okay with the registration state being different than the 'garaged' state.

Here in NC I would save on the initial sales tax (3%) and the recurring annual property tax bill.

Just looking for input.

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I was at a car meet recently and noticed a Montana plate (here in NC). The car owner went over the Montana LLC registration 'technique'. I've subsequently looked into this a little bit but I was curious what others think about this (pros/cons)? I know there are some insurance companies that are okay with the registration state being different than the 'garaged' state.

Here in NC I would save on the initial sales tax (3%) and the recurring annual property tax bill.

Just looking for input.
It's easy to do. Montana has built a cottage industry doing this. Perfectly legal to do per Montana laws. May be a crime in your state. Do your homework on North Carolina laws, then make your choice based on your personal risk tolerance.

Ryder

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
If you are registering a vehicle in a place where it isn't physically located in order to avoid taxation, you should be aware that it's a very clear form of tax fraud. And will likely lead to criminal liability if your local jurisdiction finds out about it.

SPoivre

Reaction score
I looked into it. I didn’t see anything particularly worthy about it. Looked like tax fraud to me.

I’ll also say that when I see a car with Montana plates in CT, where I live, the first thought through my mind is, “ oh another jackass”.

Last edited:

Ryder

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Yep. Makes them an accessory to a crime.
You maybe 100% correct. I was under the impression that you, an individual, would no longer own the vehicle. Said motor vehicle would now be owned by a Montana LLC. that was incorporated by an attorney in that state. It is my understanding that you may be the CEO, Chairman of the Board , corresponding officer , etc. I have seen lots of promotions in print and online that seem convincing . I need to ask some car guy lawyer in my state their take. on this so called "loop hole". Thanks for the heads up!

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You maybe 100% correct. I was under the impression that you, an individual, would no longer own the vehicle. Said motor vehicle would now be owned by a Montana LLC. that was incorporated by an attorney in that state. It is my understanding that you may be the CEO, Chairman of the Board , corresponding officer , etc. I have seen lots of promotions in print and online that seem convincing . I need to ask some car guy lawyer in my state their take. on this so called "loop hole". Thanks for the heads up!
The promotions are usually from one of the companies in Montana which facilitate the process. They are happy to do it since they break no Montana laws. You would be ok as long as the vehicle lives in Montana. As soon as the vehicle ‘visits’ your state of residence, you run afoul of your states tax laws.

Do a tiny bit of research and you’ll find all sorts of interesting info on how serious some states are on prosecuting the tax evasion. Ranges from cross checking Montana LLC registered vehicles using Ez Toll and Fast Passes to cruising car shows and recording the Montana plates. Then it’s simple legwork to prove your LLC exists solely to cheat on taxes.

If you are lucky, you’ll just have to pay the tax and and a penalty. It could also lead to a conviction on Tax Fraud.

Oh, and if you have an accident or traffic violation, that is usually enough for a state to do a quick investigation and get you.

As I said in my original reply, it all comes down to your risk tolerance. Is saving the tax worth life long consequences?

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
If you're in possession of the vehicle, and it's garaged or held in a physical location that has a personal property tax law, it doesn't matter what the paper says, it's your vehicle and you're garaging it in that jurisdiction. The paper doesn't change the material fact.

Think of it this way: if it was a building rather than a car, and the building was owned by an out-of-state entity, that doesn't mean the building isn't subject to real estate taxes where it's located. It just means the out-of-state entity should be paying them. With a car, it's a lot easier to track down the beneficial owner because they tend to be the one with the keys. 😉

Last edited:

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Oh, and if you have an accident or traffic violation, that is usually enough for a state to do a quick investigation and get you.
It's not only that! Despite the insurance company's willingness to write you a policy, many will then use the out-of-state registration tax dodge as a basis for denying any subsequent claim. So they get your premium money every month, but then never have to pay you a dime in the event that you have an accident or a theft. They just cancel you on the spot, leaving you completely screwed with a destroyed asset and no insurance payout. And the courts let them do it.

SPoivre

Reaction score
Now for my little rant.

I’m not sure what irks me more. Seeing some asshat in a $300k car with Montana plates or seeing my personal property tax bill for my five cars. It’s a close call.:mad:

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
I see MT plates all the time at C&C events. It makes sense for $1m+ exotics who'd be paying $40k+ in taxes just to register their vehicle. I looked into it myself and it seems easy enough, but I didn't really want to drive around on MT plates, so I just paid the 4.25% to have my fancy black and white Delaware plate. 😎

Another nice thing to consider about the MT loophole is no inspections.. ever.

20230611_092205.jpg

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
We paid around $80K AUD in taxes down under just to buy an Emira. :cry: