Miltek Exhaust = limp mode? Possible?

Sentinel

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You are right, and since yesterday, they took ownership of the problem, contacted Miltek, and are asking me to bring it in so they can do exactly as you suggested. I think this is either a valve controller calibration issue (i.e. it needs to operate slightly differently with Miltek compared to the stock exhaust), or the Miltek valve is malfunctioning at high pressure.
Sorry to revive old thread but I'm curious as to what the result of this was? Did you get it sorted? What ended up being the issue?

Speedy Emira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’ve driven mine around 50 miles today with 3 stops and complete restarts. No issues at all.
There are 3 buttons on the remote:
1. Valves fully open
2. Valves fully closed
3. Oem settings

Not sure until I start tomorrow if it is in the same mode as I left it in, but I hope not as I was in sport and I’m leaving at 0715 for work. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I still don't understand how they can have a fully closed position since it requires that the valves open even in touring mode to prevent engine damage.

Speedy Emira

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I still don't understand how they can have a fully closed position since it requires that the valves open even in touring mode to prevent engine damage.
Maybe it opens or partially opened after a specific rpm for safety reasons?

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I don't think the valve is restricting any flow per se. When the valve is closed gases are routed through the silencer, when the valve is open gases take a more direct path that bypasses the silencer.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
I don't think the valve is restricting any flow per se. When the valve is closed gases are routed through the silencer, when the valve is open gases take a more direct path that bypasses the silencer.
That's not how I understand it… With the valve closed, the muffler creates too much back pressure for the engine at high RPMs. This causes hot exhaust gas to stay in the engine longer and leading to overheat conditions that can damage the block/head.

This is why a failed exhaust flap causes limp mode that limits the RPM.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
ah yeah makes sense, it is possible the silencer is that restrictive.
Ooooh, that's true. The OEM muffler may be too restrictive but the Militek one may offer enough flow even with the flap closed.

KJD

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Because they use the valve controller originally designed for a Ford Fiesta ST.

You can work this out from the part numbers.

I would presume it’s Ok to have the valve shut on the Fiesta? But that’s a different setup to a supercharged Emira.

Ideally they should have reprogrammed the controller to disable the “valve shut” button.

Sentinel

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Bumping this as I'm curious to know if anyone else has expereinced the same fault code now there's a few more cars on the road with aftermarket exhausts?

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Bumping this as I'm curious to know if anyone else has expereinced the same fault code now there's a few more cars on the road with aftermarket exhausts?
No news is good news in this regard…

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

I haven’t seen anyone install an exhaust that gets rid of the primary catalytic converters or oxygen sensors yet, so likely there have been no faults from anyone yet.