• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Lotus Eletre Reveal - Live Stream on NOW

roundincircles

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Hmm... Not sure how I feel about it yet.

I actually enjoyed the buildup, the one-take walk through history and the show. All great things from a marketing perspective. And there in lies the rub. I'm starting to feel like that's all we get with Lotus: marketing. There's a saying I heard somewhere that "those who can't engineer, resort to marketing."

It starts with the Emira, for which I had two deposits with an FE already in the books. All the talk about aerodynamics this and whatever that. Talk. All car companies work on aero... Lotus isn't unique. But where's the data?

It bugs me that Lotus talks about 'porosity' and great aero and renders of aero... to prove what exactly? What function does that porosity serve? I wonder if it's just styling and that's all. How about some hard data? If you've spent all this time on aero, presumably in the wind-tunnel, not a design studio (hah, yeah right!).... give us the specs. When Mercedes released the EQS, they didn't talk about aero this and marketing that. No, they said: "With a cd figure from 0.202 the EQS is the world's most aerodynamic production car."

I want to know the drag coefficient! What is it, Lotus? They advertised a range of 600km (372 miles). Perfect, why not say that during the unveiling? That's one of the most important EV specs. I'll never buy an EV with <300mile rage. The jury is still out on the exterior. No way this thing looks as good/aggressive as the Urus to me. Something about its proportions doesn't seem right, but I'm not a designer, I can't put my finger on it. Something about that ass isn't right. The wheel arches and proportions of the wheels to the car. I don't know.

Anyway, I'm going to keep my deposit until more info comes out. The interior really looks luxurious and innovative. Love it, except for those two "pillows" in front of the driver/passenger.

Here's my configuration as of today:

View attachment 4200
Regarding the emphasis on airflow.

Ron Dennis had a mantra that car design starts with 'getting the air in and then getting it out. He had experience with high-performance cars and how airflow impacts handling and engine temperature, particularly with cars that exceeded 100mph. Of course, that was with internal combustion engine cars but batteries need temperature management and airflow stability. I once tested a Jag V8 two-seater and it became unstable at 100 mph as the front started to lift and the steering acquired a mind of its own.

I can only assume that the Eltre is seen by Lotus as a high-performance vehicle, thus all the talk of aerodynamics!

By the way I drove a Polestar 2 , made by geely, the build integrity and material quality was first class.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Regarding the emphasis on airflow.

Ron Dennis had a mantra that car design starts with 'getting the air in and then getting it out. He had experience with high-performance cars and how airflow impacts handling and engine temperature, particularly with cars that exceeded 100mph. Of course, that was with internal combustion engine cars but batteries need temperature management and airflow stability. I once tested a Jag V8 two-seater and it became unstable at 100 mph as the front started to lift and the steering acquired a mind of its own.

I can only assume that the Eltre is seen by Lotus as a high-performance vehicle, thus all the talk of aerodynamics!

By the way I drove a Polestar 2 , made by geely, the build integrity and material quality was first class.
It's clear that its as much about design language and Lotus DNA look as it is about performance as well. Hence why its referenced so much

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I think Im going against the grain here, but I think it looks like a Chinese attempt (guess it kind of is) of an SUV, I'd say Hyundai but they're making some nice looking things at the moment so that would be unfair. Personal opinion it looks fine in the grey, generic modern SUV which is overstyled, no clean lines just folds and creases everywhere. In the yellow its one of the least cohesive / attractive cars I've seen in a long while. Interior looks stunning however, beautifully done inside.
None of it matters to me ultimately, I wont be buying an EV or SUV in my lifetime. But the Emira is the last 'Lotus', we're now into a future of 'just a.n.other car'.
Saw what you did there, good play on words.

LotusB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I posted my opinion last night, but this morning I showed the configurator to my wife. She thinks Eletre looks really nice. Both exterior and interior. She's a designer, so her opinion carries more weight than mine. Although... she's not a "car chick."

So there you have it... unless something in the market changes I'll continue to hold on to my reservation (first on the list with my dealer) and wait for more info.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
The more I look at and study the Eletre the more I like it. First impression was ‘it’s strange’, second view was ‘hmm ok’, third view was ‘there are some really cool bits’ and now it’s really growing on me. The total package and form is starting to feel cohesive and very modern.

I think the interior is ace and they totally nailed that. I want that in the Emira please!

What I suspect we are struggling with is that the Eletre doesn’t really have any parallels to existing designs we already know and have grown accustomed to. Closest one is the Lambo Urus but even then the design is still radically different.

Psychologically the Emira was subconsciously compared to many similar mid engined cars that had some similar design elements that made its design instantly ‘click’.

Give it time and I think we’ll end up loving the Eletre. Seeing the car in the flesh versus on a screen gives yet another dimension as those who saw the Emira show car in person can attest to.

Samps

Reaction score
The more I look at and study the Eletre the more I like it. First impression was ‘it’s strange’, second view was ‘hmm ok’, third view was ‘there are some really cool bits’ and now it’s really growing on me. The total package and form is starting to feel cohesive and very modern.

I think the interior is ace and they totally nailed that. I want that in the Emira please!

What I suspect we are struggling with is that the Eletre doesn’t really have any parallels to existing designs we already know and have grown accustomed to. Closest one is the Lambo Urus but even then the design is still radically different.

Psychologically the Emira was subconsciously compared to many similar mid engined cars that had some similar design elements that made its design instantly ‘click’.

Give it time and I think we’ll end up loving the Eletre. Seeing the car in the flesh versus on a screen gives yet another dimension as those who saw the Emira show car in person can attest to.
Agree on a lot what’s said. My deposit for the Eletre is in - for now. Personal opinion is front is good, side profile ok but back doesn’t seem quite right. Like the light bar is too low so visually a droopy bottom but it might grow on me…..

Reminds me of back in the day when used to banger race mark 3 cortina’s we would drop the rear of them from hi ab height to kick the boot up about 25 deg so the first hit would concertina upwards an not drop onto the rear tyres.

That’s what this EV needs a kick up the arse sorted.

I’d hoped it was nearer 75k in the uk than 100k as I think this will be a tough sell against Cayennes and as the owner of the v8 diesel I can state they really are very good.

Deposit in for now ……

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score

That's a good assessment, I think some people including myself expected something more like Evija/Emira, although there is some resemblance it just didn't take my breath away like those cars did. However it's now seriously growing on me, what you have to remember its an SUV not a 2 seater sports/super car, when you look at every other SUV out there today even the up an coming ones there is nothing like the Eletre when you look inside and out, you could say the outside looks slightly like a Urus but the Urus is a 250k car and even the Urus can't compete with the Eletre interior.

If your looking for an SUV for the family or you generally like a bigger car I think this is value for money with the amazing tech and hypercar yes hyper car performance.

Bilbao-Emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Not really, you understand Lotus have a technology division that is believed to be worth 8 billion dollars? It's similar to VW group they use Porsche to develop their technologies and invest billions into it...... Geely does same for Lotus to send this tech into Polestar/Volvo/their chinese brands also....

To me Eletre is more impressive than Emira, not as excited for it as Emira but it's way too impressive to be true, the styling, the powertrain, the aerodynamics, the tech, the interior, the details like screen placement is so impressive I can't see something out there comes close, if the rumoured 1000hp version is over 150K I will still buy it!
I'm exactly in the same page.
If it´s going to substitute my SVR, going for the top power, and still less expensive than a new SVR hopefully

Autopsy

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I am actually happy Lotus went all the way to creat a 5 meter long large SUV that's flamboyant and cutting edge. In SUV game sports car brand retaining their "sports car DNA" seldom translates to good market reception. If you go SUV you go big and spacious and comfortable. Small nimble mid-sized sports SUV with cramped rear seats may be "Orthodox" and "somewhat acceptable" for sports car fans but almost never apeals to target audience of SUVs. F pace and DBX are examples, although we can agree they are two best designed sports SUV that retains their sports car brand DNA best.
If you are a emira owner and hard core sports fan and would never be caught dead in a SUV then you not liking the Eletre is nothing but good news to Lotus and proves it's on the right track.
Many can still go wrong though, pricing, tech/range not meeting the hype etc. Hope they didn't get too carried away and make it a volume seller so we can be a proud owner of Lotus for years to come.

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I posted my opinion last night, but this morning I showed the configurator to my wife. She thinks Eletre looks really nice. Both exterior and interior. She's a designer, so her opinion carries more weight than mine. Although... she's not a "car chick."

So there you have it... unless something in the market changes I'll continue to hold on to my reservation (first on the list with my dealer) and wait for more info.
Always worth checking in with "mission control" or your own favourite design guru!

I am envious of your Eletre reservation - just a bit too rich for my blood after I've sprung for the V6 FE - I'm sure my Emira will somewhat ease my disappointment in not having an Eletre but will be really keen to hear your experience of it.

Wolfram

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I'm not sure I get it... So it's a strict four-seater, with rear seats that do not fold down to expand boot space? There doesn't appear to be any way to fit a roof rack to carry bikes.

Sorry, but that doesn't even constitute an SUV for me. Maybe I'm just one of the few who actually uses my Macan as a Sports Utility Vehicle, but this Eletre is a complete non-starter for me.

DJS

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I'm not sure I get it... So it's a strict four-seater, with rear seats that do not fold down to expand boot space? There doesn't appear to be any way to fit a roof rack to carry bikes.

Sorry, but that doesn't even constitute an SUV for me. Maybe I'm just one of the few who actually uses my Macan as a Sports Utility Vehicle, but this Eletre is a complete non-starter for me.
If you watch the YouTube reviews it explains that you can go for 3 seats at the back and loose the recliners. The car we see is loaded with all the high end spec.

There will be something for all with this car I suspect.

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
If you watch the YouTube reviews it explains that you can go for 3 seats at the back and loose the recliners. The car we see is loaded with all the high end spec.

There will be something for all with this car I suspect.
Spot on and when i heard that it reminded of the same option with some Range Rovers, exec seating or something they call it, for those using the car more as a limo than an SUV.

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score

I didnt know the rear seats didn't fold? Wtf
Same reason I didn't buy an Alfa Guila Quadrifoglio

Speedluvver

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Watch the Late Brake show review - it comes as a 5 seater with split folding rear seats....

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Watch the Late Brake show review - it comes as a 5 seater with split folding rear seats....
I really enjoyed that one, he is a great presenter - very natural and quite "everyman" The design guy from Lotus was excellent - highly knowledgeable and spoke very well without being remotely arrogant or high brow about it.

kratedisease

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
This SUV suffers from similar issues as the EMIRA.

Takes a certain daring personality to spend $100k or more for a car with spotty dealer network.

OP
Porter

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This SUV suffers from similar issues as the EMIRA.

Takes a certain daring personality to spend $100k or more for a car with spotty dealer network.
By the time it lands in the US I suspect they will have sorted that out. My instinct is to look to Polestar for clues about what Lotus may do next.