• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

❓ QUESTION Is it possible to identify the build date from the VIN?

PGL

Reaction score
Does anyone know which characters (if any) denote the month and year of a vehicle build from the 17 character VIN code?

OP
P

PGL

Reaction score
It is not possible no.
Thanks. I need to learn to start with a more open question! I don’t suppose you know whether the build date is identified on the car itself or in any documents that come with it?

KCMO68_510

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Thanks. I need to learn to start with a more open question! I don’t suppose you know whether the build date is identified on the car itself or in any documents that come with it?
Build month was on a sticker on the frame of the drivers door in the US. Not the specific date though. And I'm not sure if it's the same place in other countries.

OP
P

PGL

Reaction score
Build month was on a sticker on the frame of the drivers door in the US. Not the specific date though. And I'm not sure if it's the same place in other countries.
Thanks for your help. I’ve been told that it’s not on any door frame sticker on this UK car. Perhaps an owner in the UK has spotted the information and can advise the location.

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
While we're at it - is the VIN serial continuous? Meaning 10xxx = actually the xxxth car build?

Lotustoronto

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
While we're at it - is the VIN serial continuous? Meaning 10xxx = actually the xxxth car build?
I have been trying to figure this out as well.... US VIN'S are in the mid 2,000's at the moment. But there has certainly been more than 2500 Emira's made. I am thinking i4's are a different sequence of numbers from the V6. My thought's are 2,500 V6's and XXX amount more of i4's (mostly Chinese i4's since they have been in production since beginning of 2023)

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have been trying to figure this out as well.... US VIN'S are in the mid 2,000's at the moment. But there has certainly been more than 2500 Emira's made. I am thinking i4's are a different sequence of numbers from the V6. My thought's are 2,500 V6's and XXX amount more of i4's (mostly Chinese i4's since they have been in production since beginning of 2023)
Should be, more or less.

My car is in the 1600 range and was built in January 2024.

Does Lotus still sell those certificates that contains the info about the car such as options and stuff? The build date may be on there?

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

They’re in the order of planned production roughly from my understanding, the counter resets each model year though.

Attachments

• IMG_2509.jpeg
    IMG_2509.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 38

Go Kart

… has a HUGE member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

My wife was given her V2 VIN a couple weeks ago and it’s in the upper 2800’s. Hasn’t landed in the U.S. yet though.

Deposit 9/2021 and confirmed spec mid December 2023.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Mine is discontinuous with serial order and build date. Serial order in the low 0900s (should be November '23) but door jamb build date is January '24.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Oh... the front fenders have a little paper label on it that shows the date it was made. You can see it after opening the hood. That may be a clue.

Porter

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Oh... the front fenders have a little paper label on it that shows the date it was made. You can see it after opening the hood. That may be a clue.
Is that the part mfg date? My front bumper had one that was peeled away in the section on top, under the front edge of the hood.

Nova

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Is that the part mfg date? My front bumper had one that was peeled away in the section on top, under the front edge of the hood.

Yea... it is. The label said something about "left side Federal" or something like that, and I remember seeing a date on it. The label is applied on top of the paint so it may be car-specific. Oh goodie, I got a photo of it. Let me photoshop it to enhance it.

Edit... nope, it's too faded...

1715180714362.png

Porter

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Yea... it is. The label said something about "left side Federal" or something like that, and I remember seeing a date on it. The label is applied on top of the paint so it may be car-specific. Oh goodie, I got a photo of it. Let me photoshop it to enhance it.

Edit... nope, it's too faded...

View attachment 43060
Probably an internal tagging system for completed part assemblies. I bet they mount the whole thing complete to the car including the headlamp, which would be the "federal" part.