Intermittent failure to start

danmessy

Reaction score
It is a passive theft deterrent system. If you take "too long" between unlocking and starting than it will neutralize the turnover ability. The time is about a minute. Even the Evora's were like this. It is a pet peeve of mine, but I've learned my way around it.
This is not it. This is a new issue for me post service and update last week. My unlock seat and start time has never changed in 1 year and it far below 1 minute, even below 30secs.

OP
Sjetware

Sjetware

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Well, good news - I'm able to reproduce the issue at will.

It's something related to the wifi / internet. Note, I don't have my car configured to connect to my phone or anything - but once you get past the magic dialog boxes about the connection, the car starts right up every time.

If you don't, well... You get stuck in the bad state, and you have to lock the car and unlock again. You'll notice a dialog indicating the wifi is disconnected, and it will start right up.

So it's 100% software related. The good news is that you just need patience to resolve; wait long enough for the infotainment to do it's thing. I'm more annoyed it seems to have some kind of "call home" functionality that prevent the key from being recognized.

Enut

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Well after 8 months I had my first non start a couple of days ago. I had been for quite a spirited drive (showing the car to a couple of clients who are petrol heads and both wanted a drive, I was happy to oblige), anyway on the way home from that I stopped for petrol. After filling up it wouldn't start, just got a click and a 'parking brake error' warning.
I had read that locking it and leaving it for 5 minutes would solve the problem and thankfully it did. Wierd.

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Well, good news - I'm able to reproduce the issue at will.

It's something related to the wifi / internet. Note, I don't have my car configured to connect to my phone or anything - but once you get past the magic dialog boxes about the connection, the car starts right up every time.

If you don't, well... You get stuck in the bad state, and you have to lock the car and unlock again. You'll notice a dialog indicating the wifi is disconnected, and it will start right up.

So it's 100% software related. The good news is that you just need patience to resolve; wait long enough for the infotainment to do it's thing. I'm more annoyed it seems to have some kind of "call home" functionality that prevent the key from being recognized.
Can’t reproduce it. With parking brake error it doesn’t matter how fast or slow I am at all. Sadly didn’t video :(

danmessy

Reaction score
Update on my intermittent start issue, dealer said they re did the Jan software update which solved all others with the problem, but the issue was still hanging around. Seeking info from UK as the problem had occurred post update. Dealer said they did Disconnect battery for a few hours for a reset or something along those lines. Later that day / next day, the issue resolved and so far has not returned. I've had and used the car three days with no issue... weird. No idea what is going on but fingers crossed it was a software gremlin which was resolved by the reinstalled update and turning the battery off and on again... we shall see with time

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Update on my intermittent start issue, dealer said they re did the Jan software update which solved all others with the problem, but the issue was still hanging around. Seeking info from UK as the problem had occurred post update. Dealer said they did Disconnect battery for a few hours for a reset or something along those lines. Later that day / next day, the issue resolved and so far has not returned. I've had and used the car three days with no issue... weird. No idea what is going on but fingers crossed it was a software gremlin which was resolved by the reinstalled update and turning the battery off and on again... we shall see with time
Jesus, so this is basically like flashing new firmware to a computer or network device and then never rebooting it. So it just keeps running in the old state. 🤦‍♂️

Go Kart

… has a HUGE member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
This is a circus with no ringmaster…

1712579228271.gif

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Jesus, so this is basically like flashing new firmware to a computer or network device and then never rebooting it. So it just keeps running in the old state. 🤦‍♂️
That's exactly what I thought when I read it. I guess there are auto mechanics out there who haven't figured out they aren't auto mechanics anymore, they're now computer techs.

Honcho

Reaction score
Had mine updated around January. My dealer also services Bentley's and said they have the same problem. I was told that you need to wait a minute or so after unlocking before starting. Similar to a previous post here.

RO62GER

Reaction score
Had mine updated around January. My dealer also services Bentley's and said they have the same problem. I was told that you need to wait a minute or so after unlocking before starting. Similar to a previous post here.
But what if you're James Bond? You can't be hanging around for a minute or so while Blofeld makes his getaway.

cbflip2003

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Had this issue too, it went in for updates in March and so far has been fine since.

My work around in case someone is stuck and finds this - Locked the door while in the car left it locked for 10min, when I hear the clicking sound (something locking maybe) it was settled. I then would unlock the car, give it 10 seconds, open the door, close the door and it would start. Not sure which parks of that process can be deleted but worked for me.

Maurice R

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Had this issue too, it went in for updates in March and so far has been fine since.

My work around in case someone is stuck and finds this - Locked the door while in the car left it locked for 10min, when I hear the clicking sound (something locking maybe) it was settled. I then would unlock the car, give it 10 seconds, open the door, close the door and it would start. Not sure which parks of that process can be deleted but worked for me.
Thanks for this. My problem is car going into limp mode. Dealer told me to do exactly same as you. It does the trick.
But they are going to replace the unit that controls WiFi Bluetooth and other stuff.
Dealership has been waiting on that part for 2 weeks and cannot get an answer from lotus when the part will get here

On rails

Reaction score
I had the experience happen 2 weeks ago after I grabbed a quick lunch. The radio came on but i noticed that the 2 screens were not synced but apple car play was working. I locked and unlocked the car and it fired up.

It is now been a regular experience after i drive it for any length of time, buts it takes longer and longer before it starts. I have to continually lock and unlock the door, and it make a weird noise when trying to start like buzz or something that is preventing it from starting.

I do believe it is software related, and I factory reset all the wireless internet and factory settings and did a hard reboot. I noticed both screens synced up after I drove and didn’t have any issues after work, where I did after lunch earlier in the day.

I do live in Kansas City, so I would have to drive to St. Louis too drop it off. I don’t want too until there is a correct fix for it.