• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Intended use...

intended use?

• Daily drive

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • Trackday

Votes: 16 12.8%
  • Weekend car

Votes: 67 53.6%
  • Winding roads

Votes: 57 45.6%

• Total voters

DJW

Emira Fan
Reaction score
The least space I’ve ever experienced in a cockpit, was at the BAC MOno launch …ok plenty of headspace ;) When sat in the car, you”re arms and shoulders are basically touching the sides …you are at one with the car. Loved it :)

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I am going to have to start being honest with myself. I got into a new Camaro about 8 years ago and hated it because it felt so closed in. Then I wondered about getting an Evora while I wait for the Emira until I sat in an Evora at the dealership. Too small. I don't like small cockpits and I feel somewhat claustrophobic in them. The Emira didn't feel so closed in but it's still small. Saying that, I believe the more I think about it the more the Emira will be a track car 75% of the time. To cruise or go on adventure trips I think it will be too small for my tastes. Obviously this can change because I have never owned a car this small nor have I owned a mid-engined car before. I don't mind beating it up on the track, this car is gonna get used. And, I am by no means a tall person, it's just a general feeling I have about small spaces. Don't like riding the gondola at ski resorts either.

EDIT: Anyone feel the same way? Did you change over time and get used to it?
I love the Evora cabin, a combination of feeling enclosed but with a lot of glass and the wrap-around windscreen, so you have great forward and side visibility. Let's not talk about rearwards...

The seating position in the Emira is set slightly further back but the firewall is further forward and you lose the +2 rear space so the cabin probably has less overall volume but similar glass area and field of view. Bear in mind the FEs will have a black alcantara headlining, so if you go for a dark interior colour it will feel darker inside than an Evora with a light coloured headlining.

fatjase

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Weekend, winding road car. The wife uses the RS3 as her daily and I have a 330d Xdrive touring as my daily and for the family outings (dog and two kids). When it's just us and the kids then we take the RS3 as my 4 year old daughter loves the sound and acceleration. Not having space for the two kids in the Emira means we have to go it alone haha.

PaulP

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Weekend, winding road car. The wife uses the RS3 as her daily and I have a 330d Xdrive touring as my daily and for the family outings (dog and two kids). When it's just us and the kids then we take the RS3 as my 4 year old daughter loves the sound and acceleration. Not having space for the two kids in the Emira means we have to go it alone haha.
Drive the Emira and leave the kids at home....
image.jpeg

totally worth it.

Mike-engel

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I love the Evora cabin, a combination of feeling enclosed but with a lot of glass and the wrap-around windscreen, so you have great forward and side visibility. Let's not talk about rearwards...

The seating position in the Emira is set slightly further back but the firewall is further forward and you lose the +2 rear space so the cabin probably has less overall volume but similar glass area and field of view. Bear in mind the FEs will have a black alcantara headlining, so if you go for a dark interior colour it will feel darker inside than an Evora with a light coloured headlining.
I actually loved the Evora GT cabin. I would describe it as comfortable and secure. I drove a 2+2, and found the back seat somewhat comical but the front seats were incredibly comfortable. Great bolstering even in very tight cornering. And a terrific greenhouse. Together makes for a sense of real confidence. Great car! I suspect Emira will come off as more civilized, but hopefully retains these feelings of security and confidence.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

Great explanation by you and @Mike-engel. I suspect this is something I will probably get used too but it will be a new experience for me. When I sat in the Evora I believe that was the first ever mid-engine car I sat in. I am looking forward to being accustomed to a new driving experience. Listening to all the prior Lotus owners on the forum, I suspected the Evora would be a little small and the Emira would be just right.

Currently I have the Ice Grey spec'd so I may stick with that based on your comment. Again, this forum has been indispensable to me as new to the brand. However, I still feel strongly about tracking the car. Currently I am a mountain road, country road driver and I am looking forward to a new phase being on the track.

JPS_67

Reaction score
I am going to have to start being honest with myself. I got into a new Camaro about 8 years ago and hated it because it felt so closed in. Then I wondered about getting an Evora while I wait for the Emira until I sat in an Evora at the dealership. Too small. I don't like small cockpits and I feel somewhat claustrophobic in them. The Emira didn't feel so closed in but it's still small. Saying that, I believe the more I think about it the more the Emira will be a track car 75% of the time. To cruise or go on adventure trips I think it will be too small for my tastes. Obviously this can change because I have never owned a car this small nor have I owned a mid-engined car before. I don't mind beating it up on the track, this car is gonna get used. And, I am by no means a tall person, it's just a general feeling I have about small spaces. Don't like riding the gondola at ski resorts either.

I guess you wouldnt feel comfortable in my current ride.

Attachments

• mylotus.JPG
    mylotus.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 27

ksegg

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score

I'm actually the complete opposite. I love tiny cars (I actually wish we would get the new Suzuki Jimny in the States; that would be an awesome daily driver for me, but alas....) because I like feeling isolated and "fitted" when I'm driving.

Historically, every sedan I owned in the past was sort of wasted, because I never used the back seats, never needed the trunk space that much, etc.

Even now, I think my current M2 Comp is "too big". :D

EDIT: As a disclaimer, I DO think it's necessary to have a second daily vehicle that WOULD have all the things needed for daily practical use. I'm only speaking of a weekend toy, which IMO, doesn't need to be either large nor practical.

Last edited:

Samps

Reaction score
Thank you KJD much appreciated it will fit nicely - think it’s cleverly packaged well done Lotus.
Apologies all I’ve never been on a forum before hope I’m obeying thread rules etc.
Just excited for the new car - I guess I’m a fairly early depositor (7th July ) and waiting for i4 news……
This is my first Lotus since 2004 Exige 1.8 vvt Toyota model that I needed bit more practicality (golf clubs) so swopped out for 370z and regretted it immediately. Hoping Emira offers (most) of the Exige dynamic virtues with quality interior and space and from what I’ve seen so far, and on this brilliant forum, it’s going too.

One last (selfish) question - anyone know boot dimensions on the Emira ? Same as Evora ?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Thank you KJD much appreciated it will fit nicely - think it’s cleverly packaged well done Lotus.
Apologies all I’ve never been on a forum before hope I’m obeying thread rules etc.
Just excited for the new car - I guess I’m a fairly early depositor (7th July ) and waiting for i4 news……
This is my first Lotus since 2004 Exige 1.8 vvt Toyota model that I needed bit more practicality (golf clubs) so swopped out for 370z and regretted it immediately. Hoping Emira offers (most) of the Exige dynamic virtues with quality interior and space and from what I’ve seen so far, and on this brilliant forum, it’s going too.

One last (selfish) question - anyone know boot dimensions on the Emira ? Same as Evora ?
Welcome! Yes, you’re going to get the Lotus driving dynamics but not as hardcore as the Exige and with a big step up on interior comfort and quality.

Did you get a chance to see the Emira show car at one of the dealer events last year? If you’ve driven or sat in an Evora you’ll have a good impression of the base the Emira is stepping up from.

I don’t have dimensions for the Emira boot (only volume which doesn’t help much). But it’s very similar to the Evora - extends under the rear wings and is perhaps an inch or two more fore/aft. A set of golf clubs should be fine.

Pegasi

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
I guess you wouldnt feel comfortable in my current ride.

No I wouldn't! But I would love to try it out. If Lotus comes out with a sports wagon I will be all over it. :D

Samps

Reaction score
Welcome! Yes, you’re going to get the Lotus driving dynamics but not as hardcore as the Exige and with a big step up on interior comfort and quality.

Did you get a chance to see the Emira show car at one of the dealer events last year? If you’ve driven or sat in an Evora you’ll have a good impression of the base the Emira is stepping up from.

I don’t have dimensions for the Emira boot (only volume which doesn’t help much). But it’s very similar to the Evora - extends under the rear wings and is perhaps an inch or two more fore/aft. A set of golf clubs should be fine.
Thanks Tom - yes we sat in the blue car doing the rounds at B&C in September and yes could see/feel quality improvements in the interior. Tiny gripe would be seat height but understand 20mm lower in production car so no worries.

Boot in Evora is just fine (had a nice black one on that show car eve) with the boot open but my missus wouldn’t let me go get the clubs to try!

Being the wrong side of 50+ something I thought entry/egress was really good too. I know Lotus have done a lot of work on roof line/sill height etc. Guess it’s not a problem until you have experienced rolling out of an Exige after a few hours drive on a petrol forecourt and getting diesel on your knuckles ……..

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Thanks Tom - yes we sat in the blue car doing the rounds at B&C in September and yes could see/feel quality improvements in the interior. Tiny gripe would be seat height but understand 20mm lower in production car so no worries.

Boot in Evora is just fine (had a nice black one on that show car eve) with the boot open but my missus wouldn’t let me go get the clubs to try!

Being the wrong side of 50+ something I thought entry/egress was really good too. I know Lotus have done a lot of work on roof line/sill height etc. Guess it’s not a problem until you have experienced rolling out of an Exige after a few hours drive on a petrol forecourt and getting diesel on your knuckles ……..
We may have been at B&C at the same time then!

I agree about the easier access in the Emira - noticeably better than my Evora.

I’m not sure what possessed me to buy an S1 Exige last year as another in their 50s and subject myself to the torture you describe!