• The June 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 June 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

❓ QUESTION Infotainment starts up when opening door or hatch

Rapture

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Whenever I open a door or the hatch my infotainment system starts up and CarPlay comes on and starts playing music without me turning any power on or accessing CarPlay on my phone. I'm assuming this is normal behavior but thought I would check with this question. It would help explain why they gave us a battery tender. I'm not sure when the power to the infotainment will turn off when I leave the area.

Also, if I turn off the car, but stay in it, after a bit, I hear what sounds like a heartbeat after a minute or so, almost like it's breathing (yeah, I know how weird that sounds). I also have not seen the "auto" interior light in the ceiling go dark when the car is shut off. It's like the car is never really completely off.

This is not a complaint, I love the car, just wondering if this is normal, and why it's programmed this way.

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Whenever I open a door or the hatch my infotainment system starts up and CarPlay comes on and starts playing music without me turning any power on or accessing CarPlay on my phone. I'm assuming this is normal behavior but thought I would check with this question. It would help explain why they gave us a battery tender. I'm not sure when the power to the infotainment will turn off when I leave the area.

Also, if I turn off the car, but stay in it, after a bit, I hear what sounds like a heartbeat after a minute or so, almost like it's breathing (yeah, I know how weird that sounds). I also have not seen the "auto" interior light in the ceiling go dark when the car is shut off. It's like the car is never really completely off.

This is not a complaint, I love the car, just wondering if this is normal, and why it's programmed this way.
That’s consistent with how mine works. I’ve never hung around long enough to time when it stops. I just lock and the unlock on the fob and everything shuts down

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’ve never hung around long enough to time when it stops
I’ve sat in the car for about 3 hours, switched off, waiting for polar lights.

After about 7 min the infotainment shuts off. Driver display stays on, but switches to a black screen with just the clock on it. Also all ambient light stays on, ceiling light already off after doors closed. If you lock the car from the inside then all ambient and drivers display shuts off as well. Heartbeat comes in some time after that and - that scares me - it doesn't go away. I've waited probably 30min and it just keeps doing it.

Some vent control flaps keep moving from time to time. It's the same sound you can hear if you switch air direction from foot area to passenger or windshield. Happens every few minutes.

Infotainment displays flashes on occasionally with random RBG strokes. I suspect this happens when some related control module goes into the next deeper sleep phase.

However, I'm certain that the car fully powers down after some hours. Getting into the car after 4-5 hours the infotainment is still almost immediately ready to go. Overnight it needs some time to boot up.

The heartbeat itself most certainly comes from the subwoofer. Either something starts oscillating sending a rogue signal, or it's a weird capacitor charge and discharge thing.

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Btw you can try the heartbeat and vents moving faster if you just lock yourself in the car using the key instead of drivers button. This will activate the first phase immediately without waiting. Heartbeat takes 3-5mins to kick in. Vents irregularly. Just don't move too much or set the alarm to low in the settings before doing it :LOL:

Blackthought_

Emira Fan
Reaction score

After about 7 min the infotainment shuts off. Driver display stays on, but switches to a black screen with just the clock on it. Also all ambient light stays on, ceiling light already off after doors closed. If you lock the car from the inside then all ambient and drivers display shuts off as well. Heartbeat comes in some time after that and - that scares me - it doesn't go away. I've waited probably 30min and it just keeps doing it.

Some vent control flaps keep moving from time to time. It's the same sound you can hear if you switch air direction from foot area to passenger or windshield. Happens every few minutes.

Infotainment displays flashes on occasionally with random RBG strokes. I suspect this happens when some related control module goes into the next deeper sleep phase.

However, I'm certain that the car fully powers down after some hours. Getting into the car after 4-5 hours the infotainment is still almost immediately ready to go. Overnight it needs some time to boot up.

The heartbeat itself most certainly comes from the subwoofer. Either something starts oscillating sending a rogue signal, or it's a weird capacitor charge and discharge thing.
I’ve thought you were saying you sat in the car for 3 hours haha. Did you lock the car before you tested? My car infotainment screen stays lit for a few minutes and then goes off

Aero

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Mine has done the same thing and thought it was some vent door thing. I think it even does it if the HVAC is completely off too. Glad its not something broken at least.

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I’ve thought you were saying you sat in the car for 3 hours haha. Did you lock the car before you tested? My car infotainment screen stays lit for a few minutes and then goes off
I did sit in the car for 3 hours. You need patience for the astronomical stuff and it's not every day you can see northern lights in Germany :LOL:

I did not immediately lock the car, since I was curious how it behaves for the folks who don't lock the car in the garage. I did lock it later from the inside. However I couldn't really find any big difference between locked and unlocked, except for the fact that locking turns of the lights and displays immediately and unlocked takes a few minutes longer. After that same behaviour.

Whitey

Reaction score

You can change the android auto / CarPlay settings so it doesn’t immediately star playing when you unlock the car. In the settings menu central screen, I turned mine off as I found it annoying when it started on unlocking the car.

LuckysDad

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You can change the android auto / CarPlay settings so it doesn’t immediately star playing when you unlock the car. In the settings menu central screen, I turned mine off as I found it annoying when it started on unlocking the car.
A little guidance please.
I've been through all the menus and don't see an option for this.

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
A little guidance please.
I've been through all the menus and don't see an option for this.
I couldn't find it either. The only way I can stop it so far is to turn the iphone wifi off before I walk into the garage. Then I have to plug the phone into the center console usb to get apple play to start.

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
For android at least the option isn’t in the car settings, it is in the android auto app. So you have to connect your phone to the car then in the app menu where you see all the app icons, click on the settings option then under start-up mode turn off start music automatically.

Last edited:
OP
Rapture

Rapture

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Thanks for confirming I'm not completely batshit crazy. I wonder why it behaves like this, there must be some reason. Thanks for all the additional details also.