How locked in are the locked in configurations?

Type131

Reaction score
Hello,

Submitted my final “locked” configuration to the dealer 2 month ago. Car is estimated to arrive December.

Starting to regret the configuration I chose. In particular, I wish I could change out the two-tone wheels and Alcantara seats.

In your experience, how locked is a locked configuration? Can they still make a change without a delay or would they just bump me months down the line?

I could ask my dealership but I am not entirely sure I would trust their answer.

M

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

Submitted my final “locked” configuration to the dealer 2 month ago. Car is estimated to arrive December.

Starting to regret the configuration I chose. In particular, I wish I could change out the two-tone wheels and Alcantara seats.

In your experience, how locked is a locked configuration? Can they still make a change without a delay or would they just bump me months down the line?

I could ask my dealership but I am not entirely sure I would trust their answer.

M

You can likely change it since customer cars haven't even begun production yet, but you may be bumped down the list as far as delivery date.

Ask your dealer.

DerTheDer

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I heard we were LOCKED in. I would also like to change mine, but wont risk it unless the dealer prompts me to confirm again. My order went up to Lotus in Feb or March.

Wizardwings

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I asked my dealer if I was able to make changes (a few weeks after I put in my config) and they responded that I'm not able to make any changes whatsoever.

CheshireCat

Reaction score
I was considering changing from silver to gloss black wheels for my Nimbus delivery in September and customer service advised that would delay me to "some time in 2023" so basically back of the queue.

I'm keeping the silver wheels.

jamesbxxx

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I was considering changing from silver to gloss black wheels for my Nimbus delivery in September and customer service advised that would delay me to "some time in 2023" so basically back of the queue.

I got the same answer. Once locked into the factory production schedule, changes put you in to 2023. This is because all build slots are allocated for 2022. I decided to change anyway, so I guess my build gets offered to a similar deposit holder.

Citizen

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Not a problem , I’ve ordered same spec , nimbus and silver wheels, waiting to see it on live , sure I will get in love with that combo , but if not, turning to black or other colours is easy mod

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

ive gone for silver wheels on Nimbus - my wife has black wheels on her Mini Cooper S and i'm not really a fan. I think i might go a grey colour for the wheels if the silver isnt to my liking - but im sure it will be.

G

Guest142

No changes for me. Once I submitted my final spec code it was a done deal. Can't wait to get further into the process. News can't come fast enough.

LotusB

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
You can likely change it since customer cars haven't even begun production yet, but you may be bumped down the list as far as delivery date.

Ask your dealer.
No ability to change. The cars haven't been produced, but the orders for parts have gone into effect. If Lotus allows changes they won't be able to keep up with everyone's wavering as they see new information/pictures/etc.

I wish I could tweak my config. I initially didn't take alcantara steering wheel, but thinking I should have. Oh well... I'll live ;)

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
No ability to change. The cars haven't been produced, but the orders for parts have gone into effect. If Lotus allows changes they won't be able to keep up with everyone's wavering as they see new information/pictures/etc.

I wish I could tweak my config. I initially didn't take alcantara steering wheel, but thinking I should have. Oh well... I'll live ;)

Eh, steering wheel will be an easy swap. I went full leather for longevity and plan to go aftermarket with deviated stitching and TDC stripe (like it should have come from the factory) once they're available.

vision

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Eh, steering wheel will be an easy swap. I went full leather for longevity and plan to go aftermarket with deviated stitching and TDC stripe (like it should have come from the factory) once they're available.
really! how to devalue your car in one swift stroke!

Flashback

Reaction score
ive gone for silver wheels on Nimbus - my wife has black wheels on her Mini Cooper S and i'm not really a fan. I think i might go a grey colour for the wheels if the silver isnt to my liking - but im sure it will be.
I'm another with silver wheels on Nimbus!

Was also considering changing to black but, to be honest, it's very simple to change silver to black if it comes to it.

I have a feeling we'll all be very happy with silver, though.

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Hello,

M
Not sure many answers are that helpful and you must ignore dealers in many cases as they know very little, as they get paid very little for this part of the job.. in fact nothing until hand over (UK dealers. / agents that is)
I can tell you for an EU car to be made in Setpember, the config was locked in the first week of MAY, before that it was NOT locked in and could have been changed, so IN THEORY you can change without a problem.
THE Problem is, no one wants to help you and even customer care direct, those you should really contact, not your dealer, will have got instructions to basically try to disuade you as no one wants to deal with the hassle, but if it was something important to you, I would ask for it and see what happens. I genuinely dont believe your December delivery will be altered at all.
Afterall, its more than likely, 100% that Lotus currently dont have any parts for your build, I dont think they have even if they wanted to, stock piled several hundred car parts in advance, and for december, we are talking that they should have be then built about 1200 cars or more, so its crazy to think they have 1200 steering wheels, leather hides, allow wheels etc, they wont work like that. They cant quite take a just in time approach, but they would if they could.
If you know anyone who has ordered a porsche, you will know any time before they go into production, that you can pretty much change your config. I dont think Lotus are at that point and may never be there, but to lock you in 6 months before hand is crazy!!!!
Go ahead, ask for the change, the only reason you would be delayed is if they never get the parts you are changing to......

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Not sure many answers are that helpful and you must ignore dealers in many cases as they know very little, as they get paid very little for this part of the job.. in fact nothing until hand over (UK dealers. / agents that is)
I can tell you for an EU car to be made in Setpember, the config was locked in the first week of MAY, before that it was NOT locked in and could have been changed, so IN THEORY you can change without a problem.
THE Problem is, no one wants to help you and even customer care direct, those you should really contact, not your dealer, will have got instructions to basically try to disuade you as no one wants to deal with the hassle, but if it was something important to you, I would ask for it and see what happens. I genuinely dont believe your December delivery will be altered at all.
Afterall, its more than likely, 100% that Lotus currently dont have any parts for your build, I dont think they have even if they wanted to, stock piled several hundred car parts in advance, and for december, we are talking that they should have be then built about 1200 cars or more, so its crazy to think they have 1200 steering wheels, leather hides, allow wheels etc, they wont work like that. They cant quite take a just in time approach, but they would if they could.
If you know anyone who has ordered a porsche, you will know any time before they go into production, that you can pretty much change your config. I dont think Lotus are at that point and may never be there, but to lock you in 6 months before hand is crazy!!!!
Go ahead, ask for the change, the only reason you would be delayed is if they never get the parts you are changing to......
The OP is in North America and that's not how the process works there with Lotus. While it seems reasonable to ask for changes up until the car starts being built, in practice Lotus have imposed a 6-month deadline for confirming specification and no changes are allowed after that. If you must make a change, then your build is likely to be delayed 3-6 months.

We might all be unhappy about the apparent lack of flexibility, but that is how Lotus are managing their production scheduling and supply chain to cope with significant disruptions.

Last edited: