• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

❓ QUESTION Homelink use cases

Matthaus

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
So I don't remember a topic about this specifically so I am going to start one.

While I have essentially specced my car already, given I am waiting for an i4 I thought it might be worth having a bun fight with CS to see if I can add this in, if it is worth having.

I am interested to know what use cases there are for it? it is not something I hear much about in the UK - I dont have a garage door which is what most people would want it for - but I am heaving on home automation things in general and I have a lot of Google integrations and a SamsungSmart things - could I auto mate my house alarm being armed when I drive off? - Curious to know what people will do with it.

mjw930

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
If you don't have a garage or gate opener then it's a worthless option. Simply use CarPlay or Android Auto to voice control any home automation device you may own.

Homelink has tried to keep itself relevant by adding integrations but they are, at best, last generation and simply not worth the effort IMHO.

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

While I have essentially specced my car already, given I am waiting for an i4 I thought it might be worth having a bun fight with CS to see if I can add this in, if it is worth having.

I am interested to know what use cases there are for it? it is not something I hear much about in the UK - I dont have a garage door which is what most people would want it for - but I am heaving on home automation things in general and I have a lot of Google integrations and a SamsungSmart things - could I auto mate my house alarm being armed when I drive off? - Curious to know what people will do with it.
I specced in on my Taycan but it was well flakey opening my gate. I stopped trying with it but I suppose i really should try and find out why its not working....

Forlorn

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I specced in on my Taycan but it was well flakey opening my gate. I stopped trying with it but I suppose i really should try and find out why its not working....
I had it on my Evora Sport Racer - but I couldn’t get it to link with my garage door system. Apparently (in UK) some garage door systems aren’t affiliated with homelink. So they will never sequence together, best discussing this with your gate/garage opening supplier first before determining whether it’s worth selecting this option. I have remote fobs in each car. Works for me.

PaperLawyer

Emira Fan
Reaction score

I run Home Assistant and it includes my home alarm (using Konnected to convert my wired PIR sensors from my old alarm to expose them to Home Assistant). If I wanted my alarm to arm when I left home and similarly disarm when I arrived home then I would use presence detection using my phone. However, that would not work for me (in the sense I don't live alone so arming it as I've left would cause a healthy discussion with my wife upon my return....).

I can also open and close my garage door via a Google instruction (which isn't "open garage door" :D ) and so I struggle to see a use case for HomeLInk for anyone who is already familiar with smart home integrations.

• Haha
Reactions: ADC