G'Day from Devon

DDubya

Reaction score
As a future owner (waiting on i4) just thought I'd join in the chat. Current cars are Evora GT430, MK VI (1954). Past ownership has been Caterhams, Elise 111 and Exige LF1.

Attachments

• GT430.jpg
    GT430.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 91
  • PXL 130 2.jpg
    PXL 130 2.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 66

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
As a future owner (waiting on i4) just thought I'd join in the chat. Current cars are Evora GT430, MK VI (1954). Past ownership has been Caterhams, Elise 111 and Exige LF1.
Welcome, I'm also based in Devon. Have you been dealing with Hendy Exeter?

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Welcome! I recognise that username and those two lovely cars 👋

christophermalex

Reaction score
Just curious what made you decide to go with the I4. I have a deposit on the same but just want other opinions?
This will be my first sports car purchase and I thought it a unique opportunity to get a true First with this partnership with AMG. I am not a total gearhead but there's something cool about having a British Sports car with AMG power. I'm sure it's controversial to a degree but if I buy a $95k sports car I don't want to spend any time explaining to someone why I am excited about Toyota power that was actually more powerful in the last model from Lotus.

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
This will be my first sports car purchase and I thought it a unique opportunity to get a true First with this partnership with AMG. I am not a total gearhead but there's something cool about having a British Sports car with AMG power. I'm sure it's controversial to a degree but if I buy a $95k sports car I don't want to spend any time explaining to someone why I am excited about Toyota power that was actually more powerful in the last model from Lotus.
So you prefer to spend your time explaining why you are driving a supercar (by the looks) with a tiny, farting four-pot in it? ;) I don't think that a Toyota engine is worse than a Mercedes one by any means. They know what they are doing. Of course the i4 is more modern, but the 2GR FE has more power, more sound, and more reliability in the long term. As I mentioned in another thread, due to upcoming EU regulations and the fact that the i4 is developed to be a front mounted Engine and therefore a lack of cool air in the mid-engine application, I don't see it going over 430 hp in the Emira (ever). It's a great piece of engineering, but so is the V6. None of us has to justify for his or her choice.

christophermalex

Reaction score
So you prefer to spend your time explaining why you are driving a supercar (by the looks) with a tiny, farting four-pot in it? ;) I don't think that a Toyota engine is worse than a Mercedes one by any means. They know what they are doing. Of course the i4 is more modern, but the 2GR FE has more power, more sound, and more reliability in the long term. As I mentioned in another thread, due to upcoming EU regulations and the fact that the i4 is developed to be a front mounted Engine and therefore a lack of cool air in the mid-engine application, I don't see it going over 430 hp in the Emira (ever). It's a great piece of engineering, but so is the V6. None of us has to justify for his or her choice.
I fully understand how un-American it is for me to even be considering a little i4 over the V6 or something like a huge, throaty, obnoxious 8-Cylinder fire-spitting C8 but I guess this is a case of me thinking less is more (and growing up my uncle always owned Corvettes and he is a huge d-bag so I couldn't handle going that route). I also trust that Lotus is going to really dial this in and make it something that will be so much fun to drive there won't be any buyer's remorse over trading those 2 cylinders. I agree no reason to have to justify our choices, but felt compelled to respond to someone in a similar situation opting for the i4 from day one.

I also feel like opting for the i4 offered me a bit more time to have finances sorted and have as much input from the press and even V6 buyer's reviews of the car overall before finalizing my order.

Lastly, I have no problem admitting I am incredibly naive when it comes to engineering details but have always liked 2 things, British Sports cars and the reputation of AMG for its solid German pedigree. Win-win...... and look at it this way, those of us waiting on the little farting four-pot have politely gotten out of the way for everyone queuing up for the Camry! :cool:

OP
D

DDubya

Reaction score
Welcome, I'm also based in Devon. Have you been dealing with Hendy Exeter?
Hi Nick. I have been dealing with Lotus Silverstone, but have yet to nominate dealer for the Emira. Where are you in Devon? (Close to Lifton for me)

OP
D

DDubya

Reaction score
Just curious what made you decide to go with the I4. I have a deposit on the same but just want other opinions?
Very Simple. At this stage I do not plan to sell the GT430, so wanted more of a daily/tourer. Not that that the Evora isn't suited to either role.
Danny

NickR

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi Nick. I have been dealing with Lotus Silverstone, but have yet to nominate dealer for the Emira. Where are you in Devon? (Close to Lifton for me)
Ivybridge. Not been that impressed with Hendy Exeter to be honest. Hendy Poole were very good as was Rybrook Bristol. I've got a June delivery so you're welcome to take a look when it arrives (if you bring the GT430 :):))

Last edited:

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Welcome! You've certainly got both ends of the Lotus spectrum covered, each one must amplify the enjoyment of the other -awesome.

After saying I'd go i4 my impatience got the better of me and I flipped to V6 - will be very keen to hear your take on it.

PaperLawyer

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Welcome! You've certainly got both ends of the Lotus spectrum covered, each one must amplify the enjoyment of the other -awesome.

After saying I'd go i4 my impatience got the better of me and I flipped to V6 - will be very keen to hear your take on it.
Out of interest, where did that place you in the V6 queue? When I was called by Lotus in the Autumn (I placed my deposit on 11th July) I stated that I would wait for the i4. However, I'm contemplating the V6 - would I effectively join the back of the V6 queue if I tried ot move back into the V6 queue?

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
Out of interest, where did that place you in the V6 queue? When I was called by Lotus in the Autumn (I placed my deposit on 11th July) I stated that I would wait for the i4. However, I'm contemplating the V6 - would I effectively join the back of the V6 queue if I tried ot move back into the V6 queue?
Hi, at point of initial reservation I don't think I had to spec engine choice (it's so long ago I could be wrong!) so at whatever point i had to enter my spec I had decided to go V6 - maybe before 2nd deposit? I don't think this has affected my delivery date (tbc) in any way - other than the fact I'll get a V6 FE much quicker than anything else.

Others here (such as Tom E the oracle) will give you a more informed steer on this than can.

Hope that helps?

PaperLawyer

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Hi, at point of initial reservation I don't think I had to spec engine choice (it's so long ago I could be wrong!) so at whatever point i had to enter my spec I had decided to go V6 - maybe before 2nd deposit? I don't think this has affected my delivery date (tbc) in any way - other than the fact I'll get a V6 FE much quicker than anything else.

Others here (such as Tom E the oracle) will give you a more informed steer on this than can.

Hope that helps?
My equally vague memory, I think I paid an initial deposit and then, when the call was received a few months later, that's when I could indicate whether I wanted a V6 FE (in which case I would have bene emailed a link to configure my V6) or would wait for the i4 (which was my decision), meaning moved to the i4 queue. So if you had to enter your spec I assume you said "yes please" to the initial call when asked whether you wanted a V6!

Last edited:

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
My my equally vague memory, I think I paid an initial deposit and then, when the call was received a few months later, that's when I could indicate whether I wanted a V6 FE (in which case I would have bene emailed a link to configure my V6) or would wait for the i4 (which was my decision), meaning moved to the i4 queue. So if you had to enter your spec I assume you said "yes please" to the initial call when asked whether you wanted a V6!
You are spot on - the key point was when I was asked engine choice, I'm guessing that was early December.

Might still be worth asking Lotus where you would slot into V6 queue? Could be dangerously tempting!

Personally, I have not ruled out running the V6 for a couple of years then switching to an i4...

Reactions: DJS

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
My my equally vague memory, I think I paid an initial deposit and then, when the call was received a few months later, that's when I could indicate whether I wanted a V6 FE (in which case I would have bene emailed a link to configure my V6) or would wait for the i4 (which was my decision), meaning moved to the i4 queue. So if you had to enter your spec I assume you said "yes please" to the initial call when asked whether you wanted a V6!
You are spot on - the key point was when I was asked engine choice, I'm guessing that was early December.

Might still be worth asking Lotus where you would slot into V6 queue? Could be dangerously tempting!

Personally, I have not ruled out running the V6 for a couple of years then switching to an i4...
That was the process. First deposit then get a call and/or email from Lotus Oct/Nov/Dec asking if you wanted V6 FE or the other options. If you said V6 FE then you submitted config and second deposit. If you said i4 FE or Base then you went into a "we'll speak to you later" queue (which was supposed to be being contacted from January but hasn't been).

It's not 100% clear if/when Lotus are going to draw a line on the UK V6 FE order book. We'd heard a rumour you could place a deposit up to end March and still get one, but Lotus haven't confirmed that officially. We've recently seen the significant cap on US V6 FE numbers, suggesting there may be some sort of limit. It would be nice to have it clarified wouldn't it!

I've also been keeping an eye on who has been getting what allocated delivery month versus date of deposit. At least three people have been late to elect for the V6 FE - within the last week. Two were because they weren't contacted by Lotus last year about V6 FE decision/2nd deposit but had early July deposits. Another one had placed an early deposit with a dealer and the original date had been incorrectly recorded. Those three have all been allocated to delivery months based on their original deposit date. BUT, these probably count as errors by Lotus/dealer so may have had special treatment.

If your first deposit was before 11 July then it is worth calling Lotus about possible switch to V6. It looks like they cut off the schedules for June to Sept delivery (deposits up to mid 11 July) last Friday, but it may be possible to get in.

If your first deposit was 11 July onwards you stand a reasonable chance of getting into the Oct onwards batches, as they haven't started scheduling those yet.

PaperLawyer

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Thanks, @TomE . That all makes good sense. THere's part of me that thinks that if the car isn't going to rock up before September, it might as well wait until March - a long way away!

By the way, did you ever release the i4 titbit that you intrigued us all with, following your factory visit. I understand if you were subsequently told to keep it under your hat - I've just not seen anything further on the reveal!

Last edited: