Flappy Paddles experience on autos

NeilM

Reaction score
Hi there, I have not had experience driving using paddles on an Auto so am wondering how much choice do you have on driving configuration?
E.g. car always determines change up/down based on revs.
Or
Driver always determines change up/down with paddles and car goes to rev limit.
Or
Some default setting e.g. Track goes to rev limit or Road setting is car determines default but driver can override?

What would you say is likely for Emira?
Cheers
Neil

My last three cars have had the same ZF Auto (1 Jag and 2 Giulia's) and the paddles have a few different ways of operating. In D the car will do everything until you pull one of the paddles to take control. You then have changing control for as long as you change manually. If you don't, after a while it reverts to "Auto"
Or you can put the car into M and you have full control over the shifts. It wont let you stall though, changing down if it needs to as you come to a halt. The best of both words, and really really quick shifts if in dynamic. The Emira is a dual clutch, but will likely work in a similar way ref the controls.

My last three cars have had the same ZF Auto (1 Jag and 2 Giulia's) and the paddles have a few different ways of operating. In D the car will do everything until you pull one of the paddles to take control. You then have changing control for as long as you change manually. If you don't, after a while it reverts to "Auto"
Or you can put the car into M and you have full control over the shifts. It wont let you stall though, changing down if it needs to as you come to a halt. The best of both words, and really really quick shifts if in dynamic. The Emira is a dual clutch, but will likely work in a similar way ref the controls.
Thanks Craig, sounds great!

Have a dual clutch in my golf. Pretty much as above though. If sat in auto it does what it needs to do. Change to sport mode and it`s more aggressive and holds the gears longer and changes down sooner.
Two choices, can override the gears in auto with the paddles or change to manual and use paddles only. If i use the paddles in auto it stays in manual for a bit then goes back into auto.
I like it, will never replace manual though, but it`s the best of both worlds.

If you want to experience one take a Golf R out for a test drive.

Have a dual clutch in my golf. Pretty much as above though. If sat in auto it does what it needs to do. Change to sport mode and it`s more aggressive and holds the gears longer and changes down sooner.
Two choices, can override the gears in auto with the paddles or change to manual and use paddles only. If i use the paddles in auto it stays in manual for a bit then goes back into auto.
I like it, will never replace manual though, but it`s the best of both worlds.

If you want to experience one take a Golf R out for a test drive.
Sounds like a plan. I have a friend with a merc amg 5 litre v8 which I think has paddles so I can ask her for a blast and try it out.
Cheers
Neil

Hi there, I have not had experience driving using paddles on an Auto so am wondering how much choice do you have on driving configuration?
E.g. car always determines change up/down based on revs.
Or
Driver always determines change up/down with paddles and car goes to rev limit.
Or
Some default setting e.g. Track goes to rev limit or Road setting is car determines default but driver can override?

What would you say is likely for Emira?
Cheers
Neil

The V6 Auto will use the latest version of the Lotus IPS (Intelligent Precision Shift) setup, with Toyota (Aisin) torque convertor auto box and Lotus controller software.

In normal driving in full auto mode, the system decides when to change up and down based on speed, engine load, fuel economy etc. It works very well, the shifts are quick (not as fast as a DCT but still faster than a manual) and are done basically where you would probably change if driving a manual. It'll change down if you kick down the throttle for an overtake and it'll handle stop/start traffic easily.

At any point, if you use the paddles to override the auto then it will change up/down per your selection but will stop you doing stupid things such as dropping it into 1st at 100mph or 6th at 10mph. It'll also take over if you're braking and not changing down.

In Tour driving mode, if you use the paddles then the system will revert to full auto mode again after (I think) 30 seconds. So you can do 1-2 changes and then let it take over again.

In Sport driving mode it will stay in manual mode once you start using the paddles. It will auto-blip on downshift for you, which makes you sound like a driving god. In auto + Sport it will hold the gear to higher revs, change quicker/more aggressively and do all the auto-blip drama on down-shifting.

I've driven the same setup on the Evora 400 and recent GT410 and (don't tell the manual aficionados) it's good fun! If you can find an Evora IPS to test drive, you'll get a very good idea of how it works on the Emira.

There's more detail on the controls in the Emira handbook, which is on the Emira section of the Lotus website.

The V6 Auto will use the latest version of the Lotus IPS (Intelligent Precision Shift) setup, with Toyota (Aisin) torque convertor auto box and Lotus controller software.

In normal driving in full auto mode, the system decides when to change up and down based on speed, engine load, fuel economy etc. It works very well, the shifts are quick (not as fast as a DCT but still faster than a manual) and are done basically where you would probably change if driving a manual. It'll change down if you kick down the throttle for an overtake and it'll handle stop/start traffic easily.

At any point, if you use the paddles to override the auto then it will change up/down per your selection but will stop you doing stupid things such as dropping it into 1st at 100mph or 6th at 10mph. It'll also take over if you're braking and not changing down.

In Tour driving mode, if you use the paddles then the system will revert to full auto mode again after (I think) 30 seconds. So you can do 1-2 changes and then let it take over again.

In Sport driving mode it will stay in manual mode once you start using the paddles. It will auto-blip on downshift for you, which makes you sound like a driving god. In auto + Sport it will hold the gear to higher revs, change quicker/more aggressively and do all the auto-blip drama on down-shifting.

I've driven the same setup on the Evora 400 and recent GT410 and (don't tell the manual aficionados) it's good fun! If you can find an Evora IPS to test drive, you'll get a very good idea of how it works on the Emira.

There's more detail on the controls in the Emira handbook, which is on the Emira section of the Lotus website.
Cool! Thanks for the detailed reply Tom, I'll check out the hand book.
Cheers
Neil

Tom, I’m going 4 cause of the dct but I’m worried about missing out on the v6 sound. Is auto v6 > dct 4? I’m a GT touring road-trip dd guy, zero interest in the manual or track

Tom, I’m going 4 cause of the dct but I’m worried about missing out on the v6 sound. Is auto v6 > dct 4? I’m a GT touring road-trip dd guy, zero interest in the manual or track
Then you should go Auto V6.
For GT Touring you won't find a huge difference between the IPS and the DCT.
The sound will always be better in the V6 IMHO, plus when you want to use paddles you won't have to row 8 gears, only 6!