• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

FE or base

Daz

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I’m struggling with what to do. I’m on a strict budget so it’s the i4 and will be glad of the wait so that I can gather funds. I want leather seats, black pack and black wheels and everything else I can live without, do I go with the FE ( with discounted extras ) or just the base model and spec up ? Need a little advice before the ‘phone call’ , thanks

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
If you’re going for the i4 you don’t need to decide yet. The calls are to ask about V6 First Edition, so if you don’t want that they’ll put you into the next round.

That’ll be about i4 FE versus own spec, by which time we’ll have i4 FE pricing and hopefully base + own spec prices.

weepel

Reaction score
I’m struggling with what to do. I’m on a strict budget so it’s the i4 and will be glad of the wait so that I can gather funds. I want leather seats, black pack and black wheels and everything else I can live without, do I go with the FE ( with discounted extras ) or just the base model and spec up ? Need a little advice before the ‘phone call’ , thanks
I too am in the same boat - talked it over with the wife this past weekend and I'm 95% confident I will wait and do a base V6 and spec it out with the options/packs I want. You and I have similar desires for options/packs (leather, black pack, black wheels), although I'll be opting for the V6 which means I'll probably have to wait longer.

My logic in favor of base over FE is the following:
  • Longer timelines to budget/save since base won't be available until autumn 2022 at the earliest, and base V6 probably not until 2023. There's no forcing function requiring me to get the Emira as soon as possible other than it being a shiny new toy
  • More color choices with base (I really want a light silver, grey, or white which according to @Stormcloud in his Ashford report will be introduced with the base offering)
  • Ability to spec what options/packs I want as opposed to just throwing in the whole kit (e.g. I don't need the convenience pack or 12-way adjustable seats as this will be a track and twisty road car)
  • A bit more peace of mind not being an early adopter of the Emira in the event of issues/recalls. If I were in the UK this would be less of an issue, however as noted in other posts, the dealer network here in the US is much more disparate and parts/etc will be harder to come by

All told maybe we'll see the FE press car when it's here in December and just make a call to keep our FE order, but I keep telling myself "patience is a virtue" :cool:

Last edited:
OP
Daz

Daz

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
If you’re going for the i4 you don’t need to decide yet. The calls are to ask about V6 First Edition, so if you don’t want that they’ll put you into the next round.

That’ll be about i4 FE versus own spec, by which time we’ll have i4 FE pricing and hopefully base + own spec prices.
Thanks for that, much appreciated

OP
Daz

Daz

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I too am in the same boat - talked it over with the wife this past weekend and I'm 95% confident I will wait and do a base V6 and spec it out with the options/packs I want. You and I have similar desires for options/packs (leather, black pack, black wheels), although I'll be opting for the V6 which means I'll probably have to wait longer.

• Longer timelines to budget/save since base won't be available until autumn 2022 at the earliest, and base V6 probably not until 2023. There's no forcing function requiring me to get the Emira as soon as possible other than it being a shiny new toy
  • More color choices with base (I really want a light silver, grey, or white which according to @Stormcloud in his Ashford report will be introduced with the base offering)
  • Ability to spec what options/packs I want as opposed to just throwing in the whole kit (e.g. I don't need the convenience pack or 12-way adjustable seats as this will be a track and twisty road car)
  • A bit more peace of mind not being an early adopter of the Emira in the event of issues/recalls. If I were in the UK this would be less of an issue, however as noted in other posts, the dealer network here in the US is much more disparate and parts/etc will be harder to come by

All told maybe we'll see the FE press car when it's here in December and just make a call to keep our FE order, but I keep telling myself "patience is a virtue" :cool:
You talk a lot of sense my friend, you’ve answered all my worries 🙂

klho001

Emira Fan
Reaction score

You make some valid points. Myself I’ll get the I4 so won’t hv to decide till next yr anyway. by which time perhaps Porsche will reveal the “mission R” Cayman. whether in ICE or EV guise to me it’s still a comp to Emira.

Stormcloud

Reaction score
Same boat. No rush and don't really want to be bounced into a colour I'm not 100% happy with, it'd be nice to have press confirm the seat height is good, the ride height is not too high, the production cars don't rattle when you shut the door etc. Will likely skip i4FE also, sacrificing some discount on the options (some I'm not bothered with anyway) in favour of the the much more important wider colour pallette in 2023. Should also get an early build slot on base cars. Win win.

Smegatron

Reaction score
I'm thinking along similar lines. The base edition looks quite well specified - its not like getting a base spec from some other brands where you need to option in the steering wheel and the air inside the cabin... I'm ok without nearly everything in the options packs.

Things that I'd option in are:
Storage nets - subject to seeing them.
Heated seats - subject to price.
Convenience pack - subject to price.

I don't really care about any of the other things.

As others have mentioned I'm not keen on any of the colour offerings so far - they are not terrible but I don't really see any that jump out and for me are a must have.

I want a manual car which means V6 so I think a lot will come down to the price of the base V6. If the base V6 is coming in around £63/4K then a few options take it to £67K maybe then that seems better value for me for what I need and probably I can have a colour I prefer.

Then we have the lead time to consider.... too many choices......

eclat2emira

Emira Maniac
Reaction score

Certainly can't argue with any of that, each to their own and you have worked out what you want, which is the most important thing of all, good work!

DJW

Emira Fan
Reaction score
If I could choose between base car and FE with same delivery dates I would go base car all day long especially with wider paint colour choice.

However I’m impatient, so I expect like others will be forced to pay extra for FE even though we don’t want half the upgrades.