• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Exhaust Mods - Decibel readings

1stLotus

Reaction score
Trying to decide what exhaust mods to do if any, once I get my hands on my Emira here in the US.

Leaning towards keeping the stock muffler with a de-cat but open to other setups.

Living here in CA I’m wondering what, if any, would stay within 95db standing 20” away from tail pipe at 3750 rpms on tour mode.

Mind posting some db figures with your mods. I don’t plan on tracking the car personally, but I’m sure this data is also relevant for those who will.

EZcheezy

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

this guy does the miltek axelback part but kept the 3rd cat

its been awhile since I watched but he passed the DB requirments to be able to use the race track, around 95db i think it was. he also mentioned milktek said axelback + decat was over 100db

you would have to watch the video for exact numbers i cant remember exactly

OP

1stLotus

Reaction score

this guy does the miltek axelback part but kept the 3rd cat

its been awhile since I watched but he passed the DB requirments to be able to use the race track, around 95db i think it was. he also mentioned milktek said axelback + decat was over 100db

you would have to watch the video for exact numbers i cant remember exactly
Thanks for the reply.

I’ve watched his video several times and the Miltek sounds great 👌 (on video).

My primary concern is the db limit within CA. While I know ultimately it’s the discretion of the police to give you a ticket, it would be good to know the range of db for a 3rd cat delete and other different setups.

Seems like Milltek cat-back system is somewhere within range. The video didn’t go into detail on how the referee from the track measured the db. Also not sure how it colors the sound Lotus engineers created.

I’d prefer to keep the sound close to original yet more pronounced while not having to expense the extra funds for a full system. And have some piece of mind knowing that in touring mode I’m within CA’s Bureau of Automotive Repair Smog Check Referee’s limits.

I emailed Milltek and they couldn’t give me a number because they didn’t have any Emiras on hand. Hopefully others like @GRP can chime in or those who have their Emira’s already decatted already.