Emira....hold its value or even appreciate??

Maverick1

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm just curious if you gentlemen feel that since the Emira is the last internal combustion sports car Lotus will produce, that it will hold its value well or even appreciate in the future??
I guess it really depends on how many they actually produce of this final car.

First Editions might resell for a premium next year and early '23. It's really hard to tell right now since the used car market is so crazy... I think mostly all cars have appreciated a bit from where they were a year or so ago. I bought my GTI new in 2017 for $26k and have offers of $26-28k for it now!

All I can say is here in Canada they stopped importing Lotus cars a long time ago except for the Evora and when you look at the prices here even for very old Elise's and Exiges cell for unbelievable prices.
In the Autotrader nation wide there are only 16 Lotus cars for sale.
Looks like many of the old (2007) Elise's are selling for around their original retail prices.
Crazy.

They might appreciate a bit whilst there is a big waiting list*, then they will drop (whilst you can still buy a new one), then when they stop making them........who knows........will there be any petrol to run them, will they be taxed off the road etc?
*An £80+K private sale is very difficult, so you have to factor in knocking off a £10+K dealer margin from any price that you might hope to achieve :(

They might appreciate a bit whilst there is a big waiting list*, then they will drop (whilst you can still buy a new one), then when they stop making them........who knows........will there be any petrol to run them, will they be taxed off the road etc?
*An £80+K private sale is very difficult, so you have to factor in knocking off a £10+K dealer margin from any price that you might hope to achieve :(
Unless you do a sale or return in which case they will take less margin as they haven’t had the capital outlay interest to pay.
Factor in inflation every year as Emira new prices will rise and this will limit depreciation.

Porsche, McLaren, BMW, and a number of fuel companies are investing big in synthetic fuels that run as clean as EVs and can be used in your classic cars. This is big for the carbon net zero future, and Formula 1's planned reg change to synfuels in 2026 is attracting Audi and Porsche to the sport. I foresee a long-term relationship with my Emira.

Regarding value, I'm predicting a classic car curve, with around 10-15 years of slow depreciation, and appreciation starting around the 15-20 year mark. This takes place well after end of production and during the period when the market is predominantly saturated with EVs.

Porsche, McLaren, BMW, and a number of fuel companies are investing big in synthetic fuels that run as clean as EVs and can be used in your classic cars. This is big for the carbon net zero future, and Formula 1's planned reg change to synfuels in 2026 is attracting Audi and Porsche to the sport. I foresee a long-term relationship with my Emira.

Regarding value, I'm predicting a classic car curve, with around 10-15 years of slow depreciation, and appreciation starting around the 15-20 year mark. This takes place well after end of production and during the period when the market is predominantly saturated with EVs.
I really hope your right about synthetic fuel, if not i fear in eight years time (for the uk at least) we will have an 80k ornament sitting in the garage. With the rise of EVs, petrol will become increasingly more expensive and harder to get! along with the planned tax rises and zero emission cities like Oxford we need to enjoy our ICE cars while we can :)

I really hope your right about synthetic fuel, if not i fear in eight years time (for the uk at least) we will have an 80k ornament sitting in the garage. With the rise of EVs, petrol will become increasingly more expensive and harder to get! along with the planned tax rises and zero emission cities like Oxford we need to enjoy our ICE cars while we can :)
Erm why 8 years..... they stop the sale of NEW petrol and diesel cars..... there not going to stop selling feul over night. the dead line of 2035 is more worrying. Dont know.....? am sure there may be some way

Erm why 8 years..... they stop the sale of NEW petrol and diesel cars..... there not going to stop selling feul over night. the dead line of 2035 is more worrying. Dont know.....? am sure there may be some way
For sure there will still be petrol in eight years but with the relentless rise in the sale of EVs our dependency on petrol will start to become less as more people turn to electric. prices will rise and availability will start to be compromised. regarding car values after 2030 im not sure people will pay a premium for ICE cars that our government wants banned from most cities. i just hope we can find alternative fuel solutions to keep us on the road.

Not that I care but if you get a FE Emira with a manual for MSRP I honestly don't think you will see any depreciation at any point. Now in these crazy times it might not keep up with inflation. But it won't sell for less than its original MSRP.

I agree that testaments to the death of the internal combustion engine are premature. It’s a small slice of the population, at least in the US, who can just replace their ICE car at will. Most people work hard to get by and a new car is a luxury they can’t easily afford. A used car is more within reach, and on the off chance they decide to purchase a used EV, the cost of a replacement battery is prohibitive. In my view, we will need ICE cars for a long time still. And where there’s a need, there’s a market and people to fill it. Can governments tax the snot out of you to try to compel a given behavior? Sure. But people are always measuring the relative merits of competing choices, and the appetite for mandates with negative consequences is tempered by the ballot box. As an example, our government currently is effectively printing money while GDP experiences downward pressures. So inflation takes hold and buying power falls. Along with this the cost of car replacement rises and with it the dissatisfaction of the people toward their elected officials. So I think there are natural limitations on the pace of change. Just look at the cash for clunkers program under Obama. Even when the government essentially buys your used car to entice you to get a new one, the impact we saw on the adoption of New fuel efficient cars was marginal. Likewise, the subsidies provided to encourage EV purchases rarely benefited regular folks like they did those who could already afford an EV (even a Chevy Bolt costs nearly $40K, which is a 50% premium over a comparable ICE car that the subsidy couldn’t overcome). The best way to achieve meaningful change is gradually through free markets, not through fiat (no pun intended). So I say, buy what you want…what stirs your soul, and leave future predicting to those with working crystal balls.

On a lot of these threads we're making the implicit assumption that it's going to be a great car! It's a bit early to be having this discussion. If initial reviews are negative across the board then I don't see how they appreciate.

On a lot of these threads we're making the implicit assumption that it's going to be a great car! It's a bit early to be having this discussion. If initial reviews are negative across the board then I don't see how they appreciate.
623wg8.jpg

;)

I definitely think the Lotus will be highl sought after as it will be finally visible around the USA yet still very small production. The longevity of the car seems to be promising. I just wish China did not profit from it so much. That will be a hidden negative for value.

I posted this a several months ago. It sheds light on whether a car will appreciate.

i did read on another forum that someone was offered £105K for their car spec, upon delivery.... not sure how true this was, but it has been heard of in other rare models such as the Porsche GT3's etc.

Which has led to me thinking if someone was to offer me £25k over the purchase price, would i take it....

i can honestly say NO - i intend to keep this Emira for life, i have never and will never again buy a new car - this is the only experience i plan on doing so, and that is saying somethign in itself, for me to break tradition for such an amazing (looking) car

i did read on another forum that someone was offered £105K for their car spec, upon delivery.... not sure how true this was, but it has been heard of in other rare models such as the Porsche GT3's etc.

Which has led to me thinking if someone was to offer me £25k over the purchase price, would i take it....

i can honestly say NO - i intend to keep this Emira for life, i have never and will never again buy a new car - this is the only experience i plan on doing so, and that is saying somethign in itself, for me to break tradition for such an amazing (looking) car
I read the £105k offer as well - I'm sceptical - the Emira isnt a limited edition car to warrant 25k + resale commission. Maybe 5-10k maybe more understandable but looking at the forward orders and the number they can make people arent going to have to wait long for their car.

Just looking at the PCP estimates you’re looking at 50% depreciation over the term?