Emira GT?

elromulous

Reaction score
Do we have any specs (or guesses on specs) on what the Emira GT, or some performance version might look like? At least on the power front, it seems like there isn't much more to be squeezed out of the 2gr, no?

Lotus have said that the AMG can go up to ...well more power than the V6 engine/gear box combo... so potentially maybe close to 500, which for a 4cyld would be amazing, BUT, my question is and Lotus seem to be quite relaxed about it, so maybe there is the answer, WILL MERCEDES allow them to?
I mean, Mercedes supply the enging and electrics to Aston Martin, but they DO not give the the latest software / electronics for the info enter. system, why I am not quite sure.
Will the allow Lotus, competitor or NOT really, to bring their engine up to power figures mercedes dont reach, and possibly ruin its reliability.... I dont know... Im sure there are/have been conversations between the two regarding this.
We know the limits of the V6 as they have had it for years and it wont safely for lotus get much past 450.
Then, does it need to get to 500? Should their "new car" not have enough Aero to compete with Porsche and shouldnt their chassis be lighter?
Downforce you would think with all the holes, "porosity" going on, they would be ahead, but I dont know.
I would love to see a youtuber take 5 6 cars around a circle and see which one looses it first with the same tyres.... or the same corner entry speed and which one can hold..... the only answer is in the pudding, but 55 kilos of downforce seems quite low? Doesnt the Elise have close to that from years ago.. 125kg at 140mph>
but i dont recall at what speed the 55 kilos were.
anyway, I would hope Lotus, even with their small budget compared to porsches, think all the small bike shed F1 teams over the years, tyrell etc, could get close to porsche track version vs track version, but I have a feeling they wont :(. Hope Im wrong

Lotus have said that the AMG can go up to ...well more power than the V6 engine/gear box combo... so potentially maybe close to 500, which for a 4cyld would be amazing, BUT, my question is and Lotus seem to be quite relaxed about it, so maybe there is the answer, WILL MERCEDES allow them to?
I mean, Mercedes supply the enging and electrics to Aston Martin, but they DO not give the the latest software / electronics for the info enter. system, why I am not quite sure.
Will the allow Lotus, competitor or NOT really, to bring their engine up to power figures mercedes dont reach, and possibly ruin its reliability.... I dont know... Im sure there are/have been conversations between the two regarding this.
We know the limits of the V6 as they have had it for years and it wont safely for lotus get much past 450.
Then, does it need to get to 500? Should their "new car" not have enough Aero to compete with Porsche and shouldnt their chassis be lighter?
Downforce you would think with all the holes, "porosity" going on, they would be ahead, but I dont know.
I would love to see a youtuber take 5 6 cars around a circle and see which one looses it first with the same tyres.... or the same corner entry speed and which one can hold..... the only answer is in the pudding, but 55 kilos of downforce seems quite low? Doesnt the Elise have close to that from years ago.. 125kg at 140mph>
but i dont recall at what speed the 55 kilos were.
anyway, I would hope Lotus, even with their small budget compared to porsches, think all the small bike shed F1 teams over the years, tyrell etc, could get close to porsche track version vs track version, but I have a feeling they wont :(. Hope Im wrong
iirc the GT4 718 HAS 150 KILO of downforce but at v max mph. The question of at what speed is the downforce quoted is revealing.

Most owners of so-called sports cars rarely venture over 120mph (pick a speed). Track driving is a different issue.

Last edited:
iirc the GT4 718 HAS 150 KILO of downforce but at 140 mph or thereabouts. The question of at what speed is the downforce quoted is revealing.

Most owners of so-called sports cars rarely venture over 120mph (pick a speed). Track driving is a different issue.
true... im NOT a fast driver I have to say and I am scared on track to do damage to the car, me or someone else... but I will get on a track.
well end of July I have the Lotus track thing....
but yes at 120 140 in a straight line, downforce shouldnt matter too much on the autobahn as long as you dont have wings....

The downforce of 55 kilos is at 125 mp/h.
so it really is quite low... im sure there is more to it than just that, but for what does all the porosity serve.... I dont know, again, Id like to see it side by side with the 718 going around the same corner and see the limit.... Bring in autocar, perhaps.. but probably not to that detail

The Emira is not designed as a track car in the first place, so maximum downforce was not their number one goal. The design of the Emira probably generates enough downforce to make the car settle at higher speeds while still having a decent drag coefficient. Lotus tried to get some downforce without generating more drag. A wing like on the GT4 makes it easier to produce downforce, but it is adding a lot more drag as well.

Do we have any specs (or guesses on specs) on what the Emira GT, or some performance version might look like? At least on the power front, it seems like there isn't much more to be squeezed out of the 2gr, no?
I've seen nothing official and heard no more than vague rumours that there will be a GT/hotter version.

I suspect they may do a Final Edition V6 as a GT or S variant, with 430 or 450hp and lots of carbon. They won't want to take the V6 higher and warranty it as a road car, although it will go to 500hp with expensive changes. The V6 GT would have a notional link to the GT4 race car, which is also using the V6 but keeps it at 400hp and achieves greater performance by significant weight saving (bearing in mind GT4 regulations limit overall performance so manufacturers and teams have to trade off hp and weight). My guess is they'd announce the V6 GT in early 2024 for 2024-25 deliveries then stop producing a V6-engined car.

After that we'd probably expect the AMG-engined car to be increased to 450/500hp in an i4 GT variant from 2024 or 2025 onwards.

Reactions: xen
I've seen nothing official and heard no more than vague rumours that there will be a GT/hotter version.

I suspect they may do a Final Edition V6 as a GT or S variant, with 430 or 450hp and lots of carbon. They won't want to take the V6 higher and warranty it as a road car, although it will go to 500hp with expensive changes. The V6 GT would have a notional link to the GT4 race car, which is also using the V6 but keeps it at 400hp and achieves greater performance by significant weight saving (bearing in mind GT4 regulations limit overall performance so manufacturers and teams have to trade off hp and weight). My guess is they'd announce the V6 GT in early 2024 for 2024-25 deliveries then stop producing a V6-engined car.

After that we'd probably expect the AMG-engined car to be increased to 450/500hp in an i4 GT variant from 2024 or 2025 onwards.
I’d be all over this…my only worry is it might be a manual 🥲

Lotus did a 430hp auto (IPS) version of the V6 in the Evora GT430, so it's possible they'd offer it on the Emira V6 GT.

Jubu have done a DCT conversion for the V6 Evora and will be offering it for the V6 Emira. It's able to handle 500hp but isn't cheap at EUR 25k.

Lotus did a 430hp auto (IPS) version of the V6 in the Evora GT430, so it's possible they'd offer it on the Emira V6 GT.

Jubu have done a DCT conversion for the V6 Evora and will be offering it for the V6 Emira. It's able to handle 500hp but isn't cheap at EUR 25k.

I wouldn't mind this if I could get warranty for it. It sounds a lot but considering the overs on other cars for 100bhp (and you're getting a DCT) it's not unreasonable.

I'd be in for an Emira GT variant in a heartbeat. I am the minority but I do feel the product would be amazing with about 70Kg less weight and a stronger engine.