Emira alternatives

UK and US perspectives are so different on the value proposition of a McLaren. Mostly because in the US they are at least 1.5X and sometimes 2X the price. A well used 5-year-old not-pristine 570S or 570GT is around $150k in the US. Newer models start close to $200k.

Compared to the Emira V6 FE, which is $94k brand new.

I think this may contribute to the different attitudes about what Lotus owes the customer base. UK buyers have a number of compelling options in the same price class. US buyers mostly do not, with the exception of the Jag F-Type (which feels very different) and the Porsche Cayman (very long wait list and abusive ADM for anything 6cyl+manual).

UK and US perspectives are so different on the value proposition of a McLaren. Mostly because in the US they are at least 1.5X and sometimes 2X the price. A well used 5-year-old not-pristine 570S or 570GT is around $150k in the US. Newer models start close to $200k.

Compared to the Emira V6 FE, which is $94k brand new.

I think this may contribute to the different attitudes about what Lotus owes the customer base. UK buyers have a number of compelling options in the same price class. US buyers mostly do not, with the exception of the Jag F-Type (which feels very different) and the Porsche Cayman (very long wait list and abusive ADM for anything 6cyl+manual).
Used 570S coupes are typically close in cost to used Acura NSX cars, here in the US. I think you can imagine which would be more likely to need repairs more often.

700 miles later, and I can't speak highly enough of my GT4. If any of you guys can get your hands on a GT4, whether that be used, new cpo or whatever, I would suggest it. I was able to get an allocation for a 2023, so its a 982, but I reckon the 981 is pretty nice also. Just throwing in my two cents.

The problem I’m finding is something in this class that’s manual. The supra is the only other car I’ve driven and it’s way better in manual than auto but still too subdued. The emira feels really connected to the road. I don’t know of any alternatives with a manual apart from Porsche (which bores me in the looks department). A manual Aston Martian vantage (the old V12 and new V8) I’ve considered but that’s up the price range!

I've owned the Merc GTR and driven several F Type's and in my opinion they are different cars altogether....a bit like M3 vs C63.

The GTR is super focused and agile whereas I found the F Type to have a loose rear end that's fun for drifting and general laughs.

Both are great GT cars and it depends on your use as to which one is 'better'. But for me the GTR was the best of everything. Fast, comfortable, useable on track, less common (?). The F Type is also all of these but dialled down a bit on track, but dialled up for hooligan status!
Thank u for the insight I'm really thinking about amg GTR or vantage . I really have to test drive and see how it is I guess

For those considering McLaren. $7000 batteryo_O I think the Emira reasonable maintenance cost are severely under appreciated. I could afford to buy a Ferrari or Mclaren but I could not swallow the cost to operate. It just seems ridiculous to waste that much money even if you have it. Maybe I’m just cheap:unsure:

For those considering McLaren. $7000 batteryo_O I think the Emira reasonable maintenance cost are severely under appreciated. I could afford to buy a Ferrari or Mclaren but I could not swallow the cost to operate. It just seems ridiculous to waste that much money even if you have it. Maybe I’m just cheap:unsure:

100% agreed 👍

Their lithium batteries are closer to $2k, maybe $3k installed at the dealer. But yeah, that's still crazy expensive for a battery replacement.

EVO just lap timed a C8. The Emira wasn’t even close. Kudos to Corvette, even with a huge weight penalty, looks like the Emira truly is a road car.

EVO just lap timed a C8. The Emira wasn’t even close. Kudos to Corvette, even with a huge weight penalty, looks like the Emira truly is a road car.

Great track numbers. I still could never buy one. I mean if it is the fastest car in the world but every time you get in it you have to close your eyes the enjoyment is gone for me. I get the attraction if you like the looks, are ok with auto, then it is a great buy.

EVO we’re also pretty much the only biased publication so I’m taking what they say with a pinch of salt

The C8 is an amazing bang for the buck, and seems to look better in motion. If not for that rear end...

The C8 is an okay track car, but there are far more cars that are faster around VIR. C8's time = 2:49 which is 37th Here are some of the non-exotics' times
2023 BMW M4 CSL: 2:47.5
2017 Corvette C7 GS: 2:47.1
2018 Camaro ZL1: 2:45.7
2019 Camaro ZL1: 2:45.0
2015 C7 Z06: 2:44.6
2023 Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 RS: 2:40.5
Record holder: 2019 McLaren Senna: 2:34.9

Lotus has never been about speed. Rather, it has historically made lightweight cars that handle amazing well and are connected to the road better that just about every street-legal car, including exotics that cost many times what the Emira cost.

Last edited:
My 981 gt4 was a really good car but if you're on the fence my emira has the measure of it as a fast road car driving experience on UK roads.

Reactions: DJS