• The June 2024 Lotus Emira of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 June 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Does it turn differently than a 911?

Thank you.

Do you mean the weight of the engine is higher up on the Emira?

Because the overall car is definitetly lower.
That's one of the things I've noticed. Although it feels like you're sitting somewhat high in the Emira (which I think is an optical illusion due to how low the front door sill edge is) you're actually quite low compared to other cars, even other supposedly low cars. I had a 911 convertible go past me coming in the opposite direction, and I was actually looking up at the driver!

What you describe is definitely referencing understeer. The weight balance of the Emira is very similar to a 911 (roughly 40:60 front:rear) but it does have a significantly higher centre of mass. Depending upon model variant of the 911, as has been referenced above, some torque vectoring and 4 wheel steering can help make a rear weight biased car feel more neutral. The Emira has none of these features. It is definitely possible to reduce understeer through more agressive wheel alignment to some extent and your dealer should be able to dial out some of the understeer through more track oriented alignment settings.

The FE version of the Emira is designed as a GT car, and therefore I expect that a level of understeer has been added for safety (to make it more accessible for inexperienced drivers).
If he's driving at moderate speed, I'm not sure it's understeer. You have to hit a corner pretty hard to induce understeer with the Emira.

As an anecdotal point of reference, I was out on a very spirited group drive this weekend through some hilly twisties. I was leading and a 911 was following. He kept dropping back significantly on the corners. At lunch he complimented the Emira because his 911 was understeering to the point he couldn't keep the Emira's pace. This guy is a good driver, and of course every car varies, but I was really surprised at the difference. Of course on the way home he reminded me how fast a PDK 911 accelerates in a straight line. Wow.

If he's driving at moderate speed, I'm not sure it's understeer. You have to hit a corner pretty hard to induce understeer with the Emira.

As an anecdotal point of reference, I was out on a very spirited group drive this weekend through some hilly twisties. I was leading and a 911 was following. He kept dropping back significantly on the corners. At lunch he complimented the Emira because his 911 was understeering to the point he couldn't keep the Emira's pace. This guy is a good driver, and of course every car varies, but I was really surprised at the difference. Of course on the way home he reminded me how fast a PDK 911 accelerates in a straight line. Wow.
Oh nice.
Nice to hear that.
I like hearing the things it does better.

I like your build. I have the same one.

Oh nice.
Nice to hear that.
I like hearing the things it does better.

I like your build. I have the same one.
Thanks! The Nimbus gets a lot of compliments. BTW I have the Goodyears and I"m pretty happy right now. I dropped 2 lbs from recommended pressure on all 4 corners (cold). I feel like the understeer lessened and the shoulders are still no where near rollover. I periodically checked the G meter thing this weekend and pre-lunch it was 1.1 right and left. After lunch It maxed at 1.3 for a right turn and 1.1 for a left turn. I have no idea how accurate that thing is, but I felt like we were pushing it hard.

Thank you.

Do you mean the weight of the engine is higher up on the Emira?

Because the overall car is definitetly lower.
Definitely. The engine sits much higher.

Don’t despair about the tires. Drive the heck out of it and when it’s time to replace them, you can switch to Cup 2s or whatever you want.

They do feel a bit different to me also. I have a 9914S and I much prefer the Emira's feel in the steering. The electric steering on the 911 just feels 'synthetic' to me. Its good just not my preference.

What you describe is definitely referencing understeer. The weight balance of the Emira is very similar to a 911 (roughly 40:60 front:rear) but it does have a significantly higher centre of mass. Depending upon model variant of the 911, as has been referenced above, some torque vectoring and 4 wheel steering can help make a rear weight biased car feel more neutral. The Emira has none of these features. It is definitely possible to reduce understeer through more agressive wheel alignment to some extent and your dealer should be able to dial out some of the understeer through more track oriented alignment settings.

The FE version of the Emira is designed as a GT car, and therefore I expect that a level of understeer has been added for safety (to make it more accessible for inexperienced drivers).
Is the center of mass height for the 911 and Emira available somewhere? I've never seen that. Only thing a search turns up is basically just varying anecdotal guesses.

They do feel a bit different to me also. I have a 9914S and I much prefer the Emira's feel in the steering. The electric steering on the 911 just feels 'synthetic' to me. Its good just not my preference.
Yeah that is what turns me off from modern 911s

I have sport suspension but I have the Goodyears. I wish I would've gotten the other ones.
I didn't notice where you are located in the US (climate-wise) but maybe test drive an Emira on Cup2s in wet weather before changing your mind. The Cup2 may also increase harshness especially in colder temps.

I'm in NY with Sport suspension and Goodyears and have no desire for the Cup2 since the Goodyears soak up rhe bumps very well and I want to drive the car anytime there isn't salt on the road. Just food for thought.

This reminds me of the difference in WW2 of the German Me109 fighter and the British Spitfire. The Me109 had speed, but the Spitfire could out-turn it. The German pilots would complain that the Spitfires could make such "infernally tight turns". It seems that in the air or on the ground things haven't changed much lol.

Is the center of mass height for the 911 and Emira available somewhere? I've never seen that. Only thing a search turns up is basically just varying anecdotal guesses.
Great question, I haven't seen anything official and its hard to measure. Anecdotally a flat six vs v6 with top supercharger will definitely make a difference in this regard but quantifying this difference is tricky.

Comparing the handling of a V6 Emira to an I4T Emira you can "feel" a difference with the lower centre of mass in the I4T.

I haven't driven an 911 in ages, but in the Emira some trail braking will load up the front and sharpen up turn in

It does depend a lot which 911. The "2" version has a lighter front axel than the "4" models. E.g. Carrera 4 will have additional weight on the front axel and to me that always felt different than the Carrera 2, and you would drive it differently. The Emira is even more in that direction from the "4" towards the "2" and beyond. I find it by far the most responsive road ready (with comforts inside) sports car I have driven. More than the 911. Even more than the GT 911s. One thing I will say, it has more roll than the e.g. GT3. Which I actually don't mind, for a road car. It gives you some visual indication of load, in addition to the lat Gs in your ribs.

Hope this helps.

This reminds me of the difference in WW2 of the German Me109 fighter and the British Spitfire. The Me109 had speed, but the Spitfire could out-turn it. The German pilots would complain that the Spitfires could make such "infernally tight turns". It seems that in the air or on the ground things haven't changed much lol.
Pretty sure company racing pedigree of Porsche speaks for itself. Not even close. Different planets.

From my limited research I found PS4S to be the best all around tire. Wear, dry grip, ok wet grip, and surprisingly quiet. Not a dedicated track tire and in the pricier side.
Do PS4S's come in Emira sizes? Also curious if the Cup 2's are an OEM spec'd tire (specifically designed for Lotus Emira version of the Cup 2) or just stock Cup 2's?

Do PS4S's come in Emira sizes? Also curious if the Cup 2's are an OEM spec'd tire (specifically designed for Lotus Emira version of the Cup 2) or just stock Cup 2's?
Just looked up tire rack and they come in stock size for Emiras- about $400 Front and $450 Rear. These tires are incredible honestly. After I found them, I stopped looking for others. For my needs, they are perfect. Track, semi-track or winter or beater? there are other options.

Just looked up tire rack and they come in stock size for Emiras- about $400 Front and $450 Rear. These tires are incredible honestly. After I found them, I stopped looking for others. For my needs, they are perfect. Track, semi-track or winter or beater? there are other options.
I have PS4S's on my M3, they're fantastic. Thinking of going with Cup 2's for my Emira as I plan to use it only in ideal conditions - I live in LA, it's usually pretty good conditions :) but unsure if the Cup 2's that came on the sports setup are Lotus OEM tires from Michelin or just off the shelf Cup 2's (I have sports suspension, but for some reason thought to option eagle F1's when I submitted the build sheet)

I have PS4S's on my M3, they're fantastic. Thinking of going with Cup 2's for my Emira as I plan to use it only in ideal conditions - I live in LA, it's usually pretty good conditions :) but unsure if the Cup 2's that came on the sports setup are Lotus OEM tires from Michelin or just off the shelf Cup 2's (I have sports suspension, but for some reason thought to option eagle F1's when I submitted the build sheet)
They are Lotus OEM from Michelin, marked with "LTE". My understanding is the Eagle F1s are also "LTE".