Dipped Lights , height level adjustment

teamvxracing

Reaction score
The demo car at B+C , I went out yesterday , it was late 4:30pm , so very dark and unlit Surrey roads.

Should the lights reach / level be adjustable in car , I thought that was rule about modern light tech

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
As in the light level being driver asjustable from inside the cabin? I've never heard of that law and it's certainly not one here in the US. I know my STi had a roller switch that would let the driver lower the headlights, but I've never seen that in any other car. I believe it was there if you had a lot of weight in the trunk and needed to level out the lights on the fly.

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
As in the light level being driver asjustable from inside the cabin? I've never heard of that law and it's certainly not one here in the US. I know my STi had a roller switch that would let the driver lower the headlights, but I've never seen that in any other car. I believe it was there if you had a lot of weight in the trunk and needed to level out the lights on the fly.
In the EU, or at least in Germany, Xenon and Led headlamps have to be self levelling, so you can’t change anything as a driver.
However the interior lighting is dimmable in the Emira via a roller switch.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
In the EU, or at least in Germany, Xenon and Led headlamps have to be self levelling, so you can’t change anything as a driver.
However the interior lighting is dimmable in the Emira via a roller switch.

Interesting. Not sure if that's required in the US, but a nice feature in my GTI. I believe it's only part of the lighting package with the LED headlights. They go through a little starting check sequence everytime they come on and move with the steering wheel. It's actually user adjustable to be more aggressive when in sport mode too. But like I said, I don't know that it's a law here yet.

I'm heading to an Emira test drive event in a couple hours and it's raining. I'll see if the Emira does it and report back.

Last edited:

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
in my spanish ironic 5 and previous 718 S the lights were adjustable. In my moms ford fiesta, they are...
I cant remember a main stream car I have had where the lights have not been adjustable...

Maybe an evora owner can chip it....

Tonyshepp

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
My M3 2013 Xenon lights are self levelling, wife's new mini LEDs are self levelling. Older cars with our self levelling had a switch to adjust beam.

Last edited:

emiraspain

Emira Addict
Reaction score
Well, I actually see that as a positive thing. ;)
yes and no.... more weight..... pig to park...... more expensive to fix.....more likely to break......more complicated.... more more more.....

but yes, has its up sides

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
yes and no.... more weight..... pig to park...... more expensive to fix.....more likely to break......more complicated.... more more more.....

Eh, I had a Type R with a single pulley from the crank to the alternator. No power anything. Now that was a pig to park! Forearms got jacked though! :p

n1.JPG

(Excuse the rust and banged up frame. I had that car apart and back together so many times. :alien:)

nelly111s

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I have one car with self-levelling lights, one with manual levelling and one with non (Elise). Only time I've ever altered any one of them was towing a heavy trailer with the Defender.
Can't see the point of adjustment in a small car. Another thing to add weight and go wrong. Set 'em right and leave them alone.

1stczechemira

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Confirmed they are not self leveling or driver adjustable.

I haven't seen lights other than self-levelling on any modern car for a long time.

The bigger problem for me is that my Emira shines a lot to the right (LHD car, i.e. into the ditch). I will take this up with the dealer on my next visit.

Last edited:

Lolub

Reaction score

When I parked the car after the test drive in reverse, it was easy as cake, so no concern for me! ☺️