• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: šŸ† May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Curveball

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
So like everyone else I've been soaking up and analysing all of the new Emira reviews. And it's got me thinking.... (over thinking šŸ¤”)

Without having a test drive my initial thoughts on the Emira are that it's a softer Lotus than I was expecting. So would I be mental to buy an Evora instead and roll my deposit over for a GT Emira or equivalent in 3 years time?

It's a small 'risk' financially but I think the Evora is a pretty safe bet at circa 60-68k for a nice low mileage GT410. And I get the drivetrain I was expecting from the Emira, the lighter weight and less comfort orientated seats etc

Anyone else considering similar?

Looks don't really concern me when it comes to cars, but I think I'm even starting to prefer the more utilitarian look of the last Evoras!

evora_gt410_sport_static_10.jpg

Hedge

Emira Fan
Reaction score
So like everyone else I've been soaking up and analysing all of the new Emira reviews. And it's got me thinking.... (over thinking šŸ¤”)

Without having a test drive my initial thoughts on the Emira are that it's a softer Lotus than I was expecting. So would I be mental to buy an Evora instead and roll my deposit over for a GT Emira or equivalent in 3 years time?

It's a small 'risk' financially but I think the Evora is a pretty safe bet at circa 60-68k for a nice low mileage GT410. And I get the drivetrain I was expecting from the Emira, the lighter weight and less comfort orientated seats etc

Anyone else considering similar?

Looks don't really concern me when it comes to cars, but I think I'm even starting to prefer the more utilitarian look of the last Evoras!

View attachment 6392
If I couldnā€™t fit into my S1 Elise, thatā€™s where Iā€™d be going. I think the 410 Sport is the pinnacle of the cars that you can actually buy (430 have disappeared from view!)

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I was looking for Evoras before committing to an Emira. Not a silly idea at all. They are more raw, retro, some have back seats and the GT410s have lots of carbon bits. Rear visibility through those "blinds" is a royal pain though!

For me I wanted a few more creature comforts, warranty and better finish. The cost delta wasn't very large between used and new for me so I went down the new path.

OP
Leonard

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I was looking for Evoras before committing to an Emira. Not a silly idea at all. They are more raw, retro, some have back seats and the GT410s have lots of carbon bits. Rear visibility through those "blinds" is a royal pain though!

For me I wanted a few more creature comforts, warranty and better finish. The cost delta wasn't very large between used and new for me so I went down the new path.
I think if I was to spec an Emira it would be as per a 410... I don't need all the comforts bar android carplay and I can easily retrofit that and some nice speakers.
The cost difference is small, but when compared to the FE I could be saving 20k..
I still need to test drive so I can see if the gearbox is right for me

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I also thought about getting an Evora for a few times in the past just because I really liked it, not because of any Emira reviews, but in my opinion it doesn't make any sense (for me). There is one 4 year old Evora GT 410 for sale atm for 90.000ā‚¬ and the next cheapest is a 3 year old one for 106.000ā‚¬.
Yes it is a bit lighter, but that's about it. It might sound better (or louder to be precise), but the Emira sounds great as well from what I've heard. Straight line speed will be about the same. Looks and quality plus the full warranty are a plus for the Emira, as are the features it has. You don't have to use Apple CarPlay or the KEF system, but they are certainly nice to have and those few extra kilos they add are not really noticeable. Most of the extra weight is due to the seats and damping and isolation materials I guess. The Evora also had speakers and a sat nav, just not at the same quality level.
As far as driving dynamics go, I am very sure that at least the sports suspension is not soft at all and that you can tweak the suspension for a 100ā‚¬ to 300ā‚¬ to your tastes. Things like the understeer, if ever noticeable or reachable for an average driver on public roads, can be tweaked out easily just with another setup without even exchanging one single bolt on the car.

Pav

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I think it's a commendable idea. Older stuff is cool in my eyes. I'm mildly annoyed with myself for not being brave enough to stick to getting the Exige I always wanted. But prices on those being same/above the Emira made the decision a bit easier.

The Evora design doesn't do it for me but I think you are right, it's starting to age well. I test drove a GT410 Sport and I really couldn't see what the complaints about the interior were about (other than the infotainment.)

OP
Leonard

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I also thought about getting an Evora for a few times in the past just because I really liked it, not because of any Emira reviews, but in my opinion it doesn't make any sense (for me). There is one 4 year old Evora GT 410 for sale atm for 90.000ā‚¬ and the next cheapest is a 3 year old one for 106.000ā‚¬.
Yes it is a bit lighter, but that's about it. It might sound better (or louder to be precise), but the Emira sounds great as well from what I've heard. Straight line speed will be about the same. Looks and quality plus the full warranty are a plus for the Emira, as are the features it has. You don't have to use Apple CarPlay or the KEF system, but they are certainly nice to have and those few extra kilos they add are not really noticeable. Most of the extra weight is due to the seats and damping and isolation materials I guess. The Evora also had speakers and a sat nav, just not at the same quality level.
As far as driving dynamics go, I am very sure that at least the sports suspension is not soft at all and that you can tweak the suspension for a 100ā‚¬ to 300ā‚¬ to your tastes. Things like the understeer, if ever noticeable or reachable for an average driver on public roads, can be tweaked out easily just with another setup without even exchanging one single bolt on the car.
I agree at those euro prices it doesn't make sense. At circa 60k GBP it looks more attractive though.
I guess what I haven't really considered is modifying the Emira. I really really just wanted an out of the box ticks all the boxes solution though. Molded many cars over the years and I'm a bit over it to be honest. Plus I'm currently renovating my Corrado VR6 so that gives me plenty of opportunity to get my hands dirty if required

FederGigant

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I agree at those euro prices it doesn't make sense. At circa 60k GBP it looks more attractive though.
I guess what I haven't really considered is modifying the Emira. I really really just wanted an out of the box ticks all the boxes solution though. Molded many cars over the years and I'm a bit over it to be honest. Plus I'm currently renovating my Corrado VR6 so that gives me plenty of opportunity to get my hands dirty if required
Valid points, but regarding mods I was just talking about a new wheel alignment setup. Costs close to nothing, is done in less than a day and can make dramatic changes without losing any warranty. The Emira definitely has all the ingredients, Lotus might just have been a bit too conservative on the final setup.

OP
Leonard

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Valid points, but regarding mods I was just talking about a new wheel alignment setup. Costs close to nothing, is done in less than a day and can make dramatic changes without losing any warranty. The Emira definitely has all the ingredients, Lotus might just have been a bit too conservative on the final setup.
V true. But I think to be truly happy I'd be looking at:
Ā£500 Cat delete
Ā£600 Alignment
Ā£1500 Remap
Ā£3000 Seat upgrade
Ā£??? Steering wheel upgrade (even possible?)

So another 6k of 'stuff' that is all inc on the GT410

wallstbear

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'd advise against it.

The Emira will be a much more desirable car than the Evora, even after taking into consideration the less favorable reviews. Lotus will get way more orders for the Emira than for the Evora.

One would normally almost always want to buy the newer model from the same company. The only thing that the Evora has on the Emira is slightly lighter weight (and maybe being a bit rarer).

I'd wait for a few months and get a better sense of how this car really drives, especially the AMG version. Porsche sets a pretty high bar to begin with. There is no reason to overreact.

That said you could always get a 718, but it's getting kinda boring.

OP
Leonard

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I'd advise against it.

The Emira will be a much more desirable car than the Evora, even after taking into consideration the less favorable reviews. Lotus will get way more orders for the Emira than for the Evora.

One would normally almost always want to buy the newer model from the same company. The only thing that the Evora has on the Emira is slightly lighter weight (and maybe being a bit rarer).

I'd wait for a few months and get a better sense of how this car really drives, especially the AMG version. Porsche sets a pretty high bar to begin with. There is no reason to overreact.

That said you could always get a 718, but it's getting kinda boring.
Trouble is I only have a few weeks now.
Basically I need that test drive and will know where I'm at.
In meantime all I can do is way up all the options, which are currently:
- Emira
- Evora and roll deposit over to a GT future model
- 981 Spyder
- Just leave it for this year and concentrate on doing some more exercise šŸ˜…

freefall_junkie

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I've had lengthy test drives in both the Evora Sport 410 and the later GT 410 Sport. They were both simply joyous things to drive and I came very close to pulling the trigger, BUT the seats were a deal breaker. The 410 Sport has carbon buckets like the Exige 380/410, but mounted bolt upright and really not comfortable for me. I found the Sparcos in the GT410 a lot more comfortable, but mounted far too high and they are not height adjustable (for reference I am 6ft 2). I am really hoping that the Emira on Sport suspension is going to be pretty similar to drive to the Evora 410 Sport, and certainly not a 'soft' Lotus in spite of what Jethro had to say. The advice I had from the dynamics guys at Lotus following a query though Nick on the factory tour is that the Emira Sport suspension is similar in firmness to the 410 Sport. Best test drive both and decide if the Evora is still calling you :)

TXEMIRA

Emira Maniac
Reaction score
There are a few folks who had Evoras built to their exact personal spec, then bam - Emira announced. Not sure how many are on this forum but imagine thatā€¦

Evora will also probably hold value quite well during this time. Maybe 3-4 years and go for the other FE (Final Edition). Probably more options then and maybe even an idea of where gas prices are going to land much like cigarettesā€¦

Tip would be to build the Evora to a resale configuration target best you can and have fun with it too!

#ForTheOtherFE

OP
Leonard

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
I've had lengthy test drives in both the Evora Sport 410 and the later GT 410 Sport. They were both simply joyous things to drive and I came very close to pulling the trigger, BUT the seats were a deal breaker. The 410 Sport has carbon buckets like the Exige 380/410, but mounted bolt upright and really not comfortable for me. I found the Sparcos in the GT410 a lot more comfortable, but mounted far too high and they are not height adjustable (for reference I am 6ft 2). I am really hoping that the Emira on Sport suspension is going to be pretty similar to drive to the Evora 410 Sport, and certainly not a 'soft' Lotus in spite of what Jethro had to say. The advice I had from the dynamics guys at Lotus following a query though Nick on the factory tour is that the Emira Sport suspension is similar in firmness to the 410 Sport. Best test drive both and decide if the Evora is still calling you :)
I'd love to but they are all miles away. I'm only 5'9 so thinking the Sparcos be fine.
Been watching the Harry's videos back to back GT410 and Emira and it looks like the Emira with Sports suspension is firmer on his bumpy stretch, although it's hard to say. So many mixed and contradictory reviews out at the moment. I do need to drive both though you are right

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Due to the high demand and early sales volumes, there's likely to be some decent 3rd party options that will become available for all kinds of mods for the Emira. Plus Lotus themselves have created a custom bespoke division for that sort of thing.

If you want a V6 Emira with a manual, get one now. There's no telling how long they're actually going to be available, and the price is most certainly going to go up, so the idea that a base model with some options is going to be cheaper than an FE.... that may not be the case 3 years from now. I don't see inflation easing off anytime soon. That will make the FE even more valuable in 3 years, so even if you decide you want a later model, you shouldn't lose anything on an FE.

The Emira apparently has a traditional battery, and those are heavy, so you can quickly save at least 20-30 lbs of weight just by replacing the standard battery with something like a Braille battery. There's undoubtedly going to be seat options from either Lotus themselves, or 3rd party that will likely be another 30-50 lbs lighter than the 12-way electric seats in the Emira. So just replacing battery and seats could save you 50-80 lbs of weight right there. I don't know if your driving situation would let you feel that much of a difference, but it certainly won't hurt the performance.

If you get the FE and live with it, you may find it's pretty good after all and decide to keep it. It would be nice to have a brand new car with a full warranty for the next 3 years, and in that time you could decide if you want to mod it or trade/sell it and get a later one.

Just my 2 cents.

OP
Leonard

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Due to the high demand and early sales volumes, there's likely to be some decent 3rd party options that will become available for all kinds of mods for the Emira. Plus Lotus themselves have created a custom bespoke division for that sort of thing.

If you want a V6 Emira with a manual, get one now. There's no telling how long they're actually going to be available, and the price is most certainly going to go up, so the idea that a base model with some options is going to be cheaper than an FE.... that may not be the case 3 years from now. I don't see inflation easing off anytime soon. That will make the FE even more valuable in 3 years, so even if you decide you want a later model, you shouldn't lose anything on an FE.

The Emira apparently has a traditional battery, and those are heavy, so you can quickly save at least 20-30 lbs of weight just by replacing the standard battery with something like a Braille battery. There's undoubtedly going to be seat options from either Lotus themselves, or 3rd party that will likely be another 30-50 lbs lighter than the 12-way electric seats in the Emira. So just replacing battery and seats could save you 50-80 lbs of weight right there. I don't know if your driving situation would let you feel that much of a difference, but it certainly won't hurt the performance.

If you get the FE and live with it, you may find it's pretty good after all and decide to keep it. It would be nice to have a brand new car with a full warranty for the next 3 years, and in that time you could decide if you want to mod it or trade/sell it and get a later one.

Just my 2 cents.
All very valid points šŸ‘‰
If Lotus were talking to us they could tell us about all these great bespoke options that may be coming out
How easy would it have been to offer a lighter battery, lighter seats and a power upgrade from the off as options. Yes I know its FE to make it as easy as possible, but just 3 options would have given it enthusiast appeal