Carbon fibre engine cover

LotusLex46

Reaction score
155A76E5-22A8-46FC-AB7B-6FFB6C2C5357.jpeg
Had my test drive ahead of getting my car in Jan, I love the design of everything on the car but think the view through the back window lets it down. I’m thinking of making a carbon fibre cover, remove the thin plastic one the sits round the edge and replace it with a full carbon fibre one just leaving the Lotus text exposed. I have the facility to design and manufacture this how I want so wanted any feedback whether this would be of interest and ideal design ideas of other owners..….. or any other carbon bits people would want

virtualmacho

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Sounds great!!! The vented parts at the top would need to be removable (or hinged) to access the dipstick, oil filler cap, etc. And maybe a prettier mesh where the hot air exits under the glass.

Clam

Reaction score
Very interested, assuming that function isn't compromised. Can't wait to see a prototype

GetawayDriving

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I don't have any issue with the shape of the factory engine cover, but the materiality isn't great and so I'd be interested in a CF option. However I wouldn't want a cover that obstructs fluid check/fill or traps extra heat.

VL3X

Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 20027Had my test drive ahead of getting my car in Jan, I love the design of everything on the car but think the view through the back window lets it down. I’m thinking of making a carbon fibre cover, remove the thin plastic one the sits round the edge and replace it with a full carbon fibre one just leaving the Lotus text exposed. I have the facility to design and manufacture this how I want so wanted any feedback whether this would be of interest and ideal design ideas of other owners..….. or any other carbon bits people would want

I'm actually planning to do something similar. But was going to 3d scan the factory plastic engine surround bits and fab some carbon replacements. Would love to see what you come up with!

DeLongWay

Reaction score
View attachment 20027Had my test drive ahead of getting my car in Jan, I love the design of everything on the car but think the view through the back window lets it down. I’m thinking of making a carbon fibre cover, remove the thin plastic one the sits round the edge and replace it with a full carbon fibre one just leaving the Lotus text exposed. I have the facility to design and manufacture this how I want so wanted any feedback whether this would be of interest and ideal design ideas of other owners..….. or any other carbon bits people would want
You should also sell i4 Emira AMG M139 engine covers I was going to order a carbon fiber kit and do it myself DIY style but I’m sure other consumers would like the option to just buy one without imperfections from a guy that makes em in his facility for a similar price as the carbon kits

Evotion

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
It can only help - so long as it not £20k like on a Ferrari.

Not sure it will really help as the window, even without privacy is not that clear. It is dark in there. I'd have to drive with the lid up to show it off.

digilotus

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I was commenting to a colleague that it would be great if an aftermarket carbon fiber engine surround was available so count me in for one!

Either that or take it off completely like this:

engine-no-cover.png

Leonard

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
What about designing it with some kind of better rain water drainage solution as well (if actually required)

Mark C

Reaction score
I would Buy it

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I’m not as much interested in the engine cover as it’s not one of those things you’ll see or pay attention to often.

I’m more interested in exterior or interior trim pieces.

- mirror caps
- the hatch vents
- interior chrome and piano black bits
- gloss back diffuser and side strakes

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I would be interested in this as well.

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
It can only help - so long as it not £20k like on a Ferrari.

Not sure it will really help as the window, even without privacy is not that clear. It is dark in there. I'd have to drive with the lid up to show it off.
Nah,they're pretty clear in the right light

Attachments

• 20230124_100122.jpg
    20230124_100122.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 118

AA3MIRA

Reaction score
You will feel happier everytime you look at the rearview mirror....:)

Attachments

• Lotus Emira-1.mp4
    10.3 MB

Tokion

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

LotusLex46: Thanks for sharing your abilities and facilities for creating original carbon parts for our cars on this forum. I think one version that needs this most desperately is the i4 2.0 Turbo that has a cheap looking engine cover that do not show any part of the engine. It has been pointed out that the AMG M139 engine is a messy looking, visually non-attractive affair. But I think it must be possible to create a carbon cover with a heat-resistant clear window that shows only a limited area of the engine - like for example where the large turbo is located. I would imagine that if this is done cleverly and tastefully, it will enhance the appeal of the i4 and its engine. I admit it may be tricky and challenging, but it sounds like you are up to such tasks. At least this is my challenge and request.

Last edited:
Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com

Latest posts