• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Black pack and privacy glass

firstlotus

Reaction score
Most of that list would just be installing the black bits at build time instead of silver bits so no extra labour cost at the factory and I doubt there's much difference in the parts cost to the factory.

I believe that Land Rover (for example) paint all of their (steel/alloy) body shells the chosen body colour first, and then a second paint shop visit is necessary for a black roof if specified as an option - this is their justification for most of the extra charge in their case.

However, as there's no "shell" on the Emira and all panels are painted before assembly I would imagine that Lotus could paint the black panels black from the start - a question for someone who's on a factory tour soon perhaps?

Free Homelink is only for US cars..... It's £200 (around $250) for the rest of us....
The Labor comment from me was to compare from the factory pricing ar $1400 USD and the parts and labor aftermarket plus the pain of people touching my car and the time in a shop and possible scratches/dings etc

ADC

Just Jazzed About Being On The Show
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
One of the things to consider for black pack is if you want that specific look and are thinking of just getting it wrapped — keep in mind the texture on almost all the vinyl films out there is pretty terrible. 3M, Avery, and quite a few others have gloss black and it looks like a horribly finished paint job with tons of orange peel.

There’s a brand or two that has a nicer glossy finished but it still isn’t as good as paint.
While I agree that a vinyl wrap isn't going to look as good as factory paint, if you were planning on putting PPF on there anyway, I don't imagine the visible texture differs between a clear film (or spray) and a gloss black of the same product.

That said, I haven't carefully looked at an example of something like the black xpel ultimate product in real life with my own eyes yet... So thanks for giving me something else to fret about 😅

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
While I agree that a vinyl wrap isn't going to look as good as factory paint, if you were planning on putting PPF on there anyway, I don't imagine the visible texture differs between a clear film (or spray) and a gloss black of the same product.

That said, I haven't carefully looked at an example of something like the black xpel ultimate product in real life with my own eyes yet... So thanks for giving me something else to fret about 😅

Black ppf choices like xpel and stek would be a decent alternative to gloss black vinyl wraps for sure. They certainly look more glossy with less texture (but not none). Advantages would be even more protection as it’s 2-3x as thick as vinyl (depending on the brand), but it also likely costs 3x as much.

OP
R

Russc

Reaction score
Well sod it, i`ve got for it. Senica with no black pack or tinting. Yellow calipers and internal yellow stitching. 2nd deposit paid.

As i`m I4 i`m sure i`ll have the option to change if i need to, it`s not going to be here any time soon, but from what i`ve seen at the factory i think this will do it for me. If i want to black anything up i`ll consider my options at the time.